New Sako Finnlight 2 22-250....

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

New Sako Finnlight 2 22-250....

Post by brinny » 06 Nov 2020, 9:06 pm

Picked up my new Sako Finnlight 2 22-250 from Melbourne Gun Works at Tullamarine today....
At this stage i will be fitting it up with a GSCI TWS 3075-64-elite thermal scope...
Should be the ideal setup for using on the wild dogs up the high country.....

Last edited by brinny on 07 Nov 2020, 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A day without a hunt, is a day lost.....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: New Sako Finnlight 2 22-250....

Post by Bello » 07 Nov 2020, 6:13 am

Congrats on the the girl brinny. :drinks:
I have the same in a finnlight.
Do you reload for your 22-250, if so what’s your preferred projectile.
I have loaded both the 55gr v-max and the 55gr Sierra game king, with both good results.
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by brinny » 07 Nov 2020, 6:41 am

Bello wrote:Congrats on the the girl brinny. :drinks:
I have the same in a finnlight.
Do you reload for your 22-250, if so what’s your preferred projectile.
I have loaded both the 55gr v-max and the 55gr Sierra game king, with both good results.

Cheers Bello....will be loading mate...
First one i have owned in 50 years....had damn near all the other cals bar this one.....so have never loaded for it....
Have got some 55 grn V-Max to try out that i was using in my 223 so will try them to start with....
What powder are you using...?
I have some BM2, 8208,2206H and some 2207.....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bello » 07 Nov 2020, 11:14 am

Hi brinny
I have loaded mine with ADI AR 2208.
I am getting about 3450fps.
I have sighted mine in at 100m
Getting under an inch.
But with a little more time I think it will be better.
The problem is time.
I have tried the v-max and the Sierra game kings.
Both accurate.
I found when targeting grass hoppers and going for chest shots, the Sierra game king went through.
But the v-max tended to explode inside, not always. Both did the job. No complaints from the grasshoppers. Bang flop.
I hardly use the 22-250. I find my 223 does what I need it to do within 200m. The 223 is quieter and cheaper to run.
What will you be targeting with your new acquisition.
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Skinna » 07 Nov 2020, 12:12 pm

Nice one Brinny...congratulations on the new toy...!! :clap:

Nice little cartridge for the dogs...& a 22-250 with a short pipe is gonna be a loud little fukr... :lol: ...so its a good thing your bullets will be going 3 times the speed of sound or you'd scare them off from a long way... :lol: ...!!

I just googled them...they they look nice...!!...maybe ill get a shot with yours one day because ill never get afford one... :roll: :x ... :lol:

Be sure & put up its first blood hey...!!
:drinks:
Skinna
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by brinny » 07 Nov 2020, 12:15 pm

Bello wrote:Hi brinny
I have loaded mine with ADI AR 2208.
I am getting about 3450fps.
I have sighted mine in at 100m
Getting under an inch.
But with a little more time I think it will be better.
The problem is time.
I have tried the v-max and the Sierra game kings.
Both accurate.
I found when targeting grass hoppers and going for chest shots, the Sierra game king went through.
But the v-max tended to explode inside, not always. Both did the job. No complaints from the grasshoppers. Bang flop.
I hardly use the 22-250. I find my 223 does what I need it to do within 200m. The 223 is quieter and cheaper to run.
What will you be targeting with your new acquisition.

Thanks for the info mate....I have bought this for the dogs up the high country....I have been getting around a bit up there for a while now and found a lot of farmers that are having all sorts of problems with the dogs....
Took a big bitch and a couple of her half grown pups out with the 308 just recently in the daytime....but going to target most at night now....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bello » 07 Nov 2020, 1:31 pm

Nice work mate :thumbsup:
For the thin skinned stuff, I think the 40gr v-max might be the ticket. Makes a nice mess of foxes.
I have used the v-max on everything from rabbits, hares, foxes, roos, small pig and deer in my 233.
The 22-250 will hit a lot harder and stay flatter for the long shots.
A lot less recoil than the 308.
I haven’t come across any dogs in my travels. But some of the other ‘Enough gun’ family members might have more experience on projectiles that will work well on dogs.
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bello » 07 Nov 2020, 1:38 pm

Sorry brinny
I have to correct the above post
I meant I use 55gr v-max not 40 gr.
I have some 40gr V-max for a new toy I want to start load development for.
It’s a 5.7 x 28 pistol. Just waiting for load data from anyone who has loaded for it.
Also I need the new ADI APS 650 powder which hasn’t yet been released. And no release date as yet.
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by brinny » 07 Nov 2020, 2:17 pm

Skinna wrote:Nice one Brinny...congratulations on the new toy...!! :clap:

Nice little cartridge for the dogs...& a 22-250 with a short pipe is gonna be a loud little fukr... :lol: ...so its a good thing your bullets will be going 3 times the speed of sound or you'd scare them off from a long way... :lol: ...!!

I just googled them...they they look nice...!!...maybe ill get a shot with yours one day because ill never get afford one... :roll: :x ... :lol:

Cheers mate.....
Will do mate....if ever you find yourself down my way in Vic you will be more than welcome to run a few through it at my range.....
I run a Finnlight in 308 as well and love it...it also has the 20 inch barrel on it....
Went the Finnlight 2 this time as i wanted the adjustable cheek piece for the thermal im putting on it....Being the 675, it has a 75mm lens so it sits up high....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by brinny » 07 Nov 2020, 2:18 pm

Bello wrote:Nice work mate :thumbsup:
For the thin skinned stuff, I think the 40gr v-max might be the ticket. Makes a nice mess of foxes.
I have used the v-max on everything from rabbits, hares, foxes, roos, small pig and deer in my 233.
The 22-250 will hit a lot harder and stay flatter for the long shots.
A lot less recoil than the 308.
I haven’t come across any dogs in my travels. But some of the other ‘Enough gun’ family members might have more experience on projectiles that will work well on dogs.

Cheers mate....
This will pretty much be a dedicated dog setup.....
Im running another Sako 85 Varmint in 204 with a GSCI S675 thermal on it for the foxes....
And have a Rem 700 in 308 with a GSCI S350 thermal on it for the larger animals....
And a Brno mdl 2 22 with a Night Tech MS 42 thermal on it for the rabbits....

I have heard a lot of good feedback on the 22-250 over the years but never really had the need for one .....but now that i do, i was pretty keen to get one
Should be a great dog cal......
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 07 Nov 2020, 2:32 pm

l'm running the 55gr zmax (vmax) in my 22 dasher at the moment with pretty explosive results on the foxes and rabbits
l can keep some rabbits for the pot but they have to be head shots away from the neck, if the rabbit is hit in the shoulder the rabbit is turned inside out
in my 22-250 l use the 50gr nosler shots @ 3700 fps using adi 2208, win cases and fed match primers
the shorter barrel would be very handy in a vehicle, nice rifle Brinny waiting with anticipation for the future results :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by brinny » 07 Nov 2020, 2:48 pm

marksman wrote:l'm running the 55gr zmax (vmax) in my 22 dasher at the moment with pretty explosive results on the foxes and rabbits
l can keep some rabbits for the pot but they have to be head shots away from the neck, if the rabbit is hit in the shoulder the rabbit is turned inside out
in my 22-250 l use the 50gr nosler shots @ 3700 fps using adi 2208, win cases and fed match primers
the shorter barrel would be very handy in a vehicle, nice rifle Brinny waiting with anticipation for the future results :drinks:

Cheers Marksman.... :drinks:
Most of the feedback from those that are running the 250s are using the 55 grn pills....all are stating good results....
But she wont be seeing any action until i get the thermal scope on it and i hope to see it this side of Xmas....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bello » 07 Nov 2020, 4:03 pm

Hey brinny
I have just put a pulsar XQ50 thermal scope on my Sako VLS 204.
I am in NSW.
I am trying to take the new scope for a whirl, but the last few weeks it’s been raining on the weekends and today it’s tooooo windy for the 204.
I am itching to try the new scope but Mother Nature is keeping me at home PAINTING the house :cry:
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by brinny » 07 Nov 2020, 4:13 pm

Bello wrote:Hey brinny
I have just put a pulsar XQ50 thermal scope on my Sako VLS 204.
I am in NSW.
I am trying to take the new scope for a whirl, but the last few weeks it’s been raining on the weekends and today it’s tooooo windy for the 204.
I am itching to try the new scope but Mother Nature is keeping me at home PAINTING the house :cry:

I will be keen to hear how the XQ50 goes mate....
I have had a lot to do with that model scope......
I dont run them anymore.....now run the GSCIs instead.....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Grandadbushy » 07 Nov 2020, 4:14 pm

G'day brinny mate, i've used 22-250 for years for dogs and find it very good , I use 55gr Vmax with 31.6gr BM2, once i found a projectile i stuck with it, ''like clover leaf bug holes'' then run it to see if it had knock down capabilities and the Vmax ticked all the box's , i got 3414fps from them and used them for years and only had 2 runners but found them by smell days later , i've since rebarrelled it and have worked up a load of 52gr hornady soft point and they kill as well the last 2 dogs i put on here were shot with them, i 'm yet to work up a load with 55gr Vmax but will because i find they do better in a slight wind than the 52gr which tend to float around a little on longer shots i've only ever shot dogs with this 22-250 with one load and done well, the 55gr is what i found the best although any of the other projectiles will kill but my opinion which has worked well for me is the 55gr Vmax with BM2 although powders are a choice but i find BM to be easy to work loads up with especially with my 22-250 with above moderate speed ,it's a mod 85 sako 1-14 twist, I have tried the old 31.6gr in the new barrel but only got 1'' so i will do further load work on it and the 52gr shoots .5-.6 but i won't do any more work on them as i prefer the 55gr Vmax for dogs and it handles the breeze better also has good history on kills. What i have found with the Vmax is, an odd projectile will go straight through as with my 2 runners, but will eventually kill the dog , the rest of the projectiles wouldn't even go through a 3mth old pup yet their inside was pulp resulting in a fast and humane kill, all but those 2 runners never took a step after being hit so i doubt i will ever change from Vmax 55gr for dogs . Mate this is my opinion and proof but many on here will have differing views on what is best but i need proof of kill for payment which is a carcass, so i need bullets that work well all the time not some of the time. Also nice rifle mate , you won't be sorry for buying it, that caliber and a 55gr is perfect for dogs even at extended distances , good luck with it :drinks:
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by brinny » 07 Nov 2020, 4:21 pm

Grandadbushy wrote:G'day brinny mate, i've used 22-250 for years for dogs and find it very good , I use 55gr Vmax with 31.6gr BM2, once i found a projectile i stuck with it, ''like clover leaf bug holes'' then run it to see if it had knock down capabilities and the Vmax ticked all the box's , i got 3414fps from them and used them for years and only had 2 runners but found them by smell days later , i've since rebarrelled it and have worked up a load of 52gr hornady soft point and they kill as well the last 2 dogs i put on here were shot with them, i 'm yet to work up a load with 55gr Vmax but will because i find they do better in a slight wind than the 52gr which tend to float around a little on longer shots i've only ever shot dogs with this 22-250 with one load and done well, the 55gr is what i found the best although any of the other projectiles will kill but my opinion which has worked well for me is the 55gr Vmax with BM2 although powders are a choice but i find BM to be easy to work loads up with especially with my 22-250 with above moderate speed ,it's a mod 85 sako 1-14 twist, I have tried the old 31.6gr in the new barrel but only got 1'' so i will do further load work on it and the 52gr shoots .5-.6 but i won't do any more work on them as i prefer the 55gr Vmax for dogs and it handles the breeze better also has good history on kills. What i have found with the Vmax is, an odd projectile will go straight through as with my 2 runners, but will eventually kill the dog , the rest of the projectiles wouldn't even go through a 3mth old pup yet their inside was pulp resulting in a fast and humane kill, all but those 2 runners never took a step after being hit so i doubt i will ever change from Vmax 55gr for dogs . Mate this is my opinion and proof but many on here will have differing views on what is best but i need proof of kill for payment which is a carcass, so i need bullets that work well all the time not some of the time. Also nice rifle mate , you won't be sorry for buying it, that caliber and a 55gr is perfect for dogs even at extended distances , good luck with it :drinks:

Cheers Grandadbushy.... :drinks:
This info you have provided is great feed back and exactly what the newcomers to the cal need to hear.....
I have a stack of 55 grn V-Max and a ****** of BM2 as its my powder of choice for the 204 and the 223.....
Im looking forward to getting this rifle out and seeing what it can do
Thanks again.... :thumbsup:
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Grandadbushy » 07 Nov 2020, 4:33 pm

Yeah brinny ADI also prefers BM2 for the 22-250 i also have a AI 22-250 and also use BM2 for it , one thing i didn't mention was i leave bullets on the seat or in the console in the sun and have no problems with poi yet i have had with some other powders up to an inch rise at times BM2 seems to be very stable with temperature change :thumbsup:
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 07 Nov 2020, 5:09 pm

I have heard the pulsar trail 2 has solved the poi issues. I was speaking to someone the other day and he said he had a fair bit of poi trouble with his trail 1 I have the trail 1 for nearly two years now with no poi change issues. Do I just hope it stays that way
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by niteowl » 07 Nov 2020, 10:39 pm

brinny wrote:Picked up my new Sako Finnlight 2 22-250 from Melbourne Gun Works at Tullamarine today....
At this stage i will be fitting it up with a GSCI TWS 3075-64-elite thermal scope...

Can't beat a TWS 3075-64-Elite unless you go for the TWS 3100-64-Elite
niteowl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Bello » 08 Nov 2020, 7:00 am

Hi brinny
I took the Sako 85 VLS 204 with the pulsar XQ50 Thermion out for a run last night. Fist time.
It was fun to play with.
I had the wife driving And the daughter on the Pulsar Axion XM30S.
Got a few grass hoppers for our troubles.
I was like a kid in a candy shop. :D But looking back I should have shot less and played with the scope and monocular a little more to familiarise myself with it.
The scope batteries didn’t seem to last long. I bought a spare battery and took that with me, thank god. The hand held monocular battery was no problem.
When you used the XQ50 how long did the batteries last for you. Any tips on using this scope you can help me with.
I am going to ask my daughter if she can download any of the recordings via Bluetooth.
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by brinny » 08 Nov 2020, 7:28 am

Bello wrote:Hi brinny
I took the Sako 85 VLS 204 with the pulsar XQ50 Thermion out for a run last night. Fist time.
It was fun to play with.
I had the wife driving And the daughter on the Pulsar Axion XM30S.
Got a few grass hoppers for our troubles.
I was like a kid in a candy shop. :D But looking back I should have shot less and played with the scope and monocular a little more to familiarise myself with it.
The scope batteries didn’t seem to last long. I bought a spare battery and took that with me, thank god. The hand held monocular battery was no problem.
When you used the XQ50 how long did the batteries last for you. Any tips on using this scope you can help me with.
I am going to ask my daughter if she can download any of the recordings via Bluetooth.

Ahh...you have the Thermion.....The XQ50s i had were Trails and the battery set ups are completely different mate....
Dont know much about the Thermions...only what i have been told and cant say for sure the accuracy of that either....
One of the blokes told me that the battery had to be charged internally in the scope , so that meant having it charge in the safe....
Another was saying that he got a larger battery to use in it but it stuck up way too high and used to catch on things....
Once again, only what i have been told.....
Only ever heard of one having POI issues and was sent back and replaced.....and that was posted up as a thread on my FB group....
Most reports heard have been good and those with them have been happy with them....
Thermals do take a bit of getting used too...but once you have familiarised yourself with it, there is no going back to the old spottie.... :drinks: :drinks:
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by brinny » 08 Nov 2020, 7:37 am

niteowl wrote:
brinny wrote:Picked up my new Sako Finnlight 2 22-250 from Melbourne Gun Works at Tullamarine today....

Can't beat a TWS 3075-64-Elite unless you go for the TWS 3100-64-Elite

No mate....think ill stick with the 3075......ticks all the boxes for me :thumbsup:

brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Skinna » 08 Nov 2020, 4:57 pm

brinny wrote:
Skinna wrote:Nice one Brinny...congratulations on the new toy...!! :clap:

Cheers mate.....
Will do mate....if ever you find yourself down my way in Vic you will be more than welcome to run a few through it at my range.....
I run a Finnlight in 308 as well and love it...it also has the 20 inch barrel on it....
Went the Finnlight 2 this time as i wanted the adjustable cheek piece for the thermal im putting on it....Being the 675, it has a 75mm lens so it sits up high....

Not sure what area youre in, but if im heading over the dotted line & have time to spare ill send you a pm...there is a chance ill pass through there in the next year.

Ive preferred 50's in my 22-250's, but never really had to smack things far out like you may have to doing dogs...22-250 used to be my fox turner-insider-outer'er until i discovered the 204 by accident...so i never really had to hit any beyond 200 with it & thats not far enough to blow a 50 off the line of a foxes head at night. ;) (yea i used to head shoot them until i started keeping cuddly fur).

So I wouldnt be shy in trying some 50's in it mate... :thumbsup: ...plus i much prefer the tone of the "POP" that 50's produce over that of 55's, but im a musical kinda guy... :lol: ...they kinda sound like a serve in a mens tennis final--a nice high pitch pop that even deaf farmers can hear through their ear muffs from inside the cab from a 200 yd impact...true..!! :lol:

Ive tried BM2, 2206H & 2208 in mine...settled on the 2208 as for me i got a load much quicker, but then im no expert, & i buy the 08 in 4kg bottles so its a no brainer for me...fuller cases too... :thumbsup:

As marksman said, from inside a car, that will be a great little dog stopper--my Tikka is a pain to switch windows with in a hurry... :thumbsdown:

Good luck with it...keen to see your resulta from load testing as well... :)
Skinna
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Return to Centerfire rifles