Older Rifle Accuracy

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Older Rifle Accuracy

Post by Timboon » 09 Nov 2020, 8:22 pm

Fellas,

I've mentioned before on here I accumulated a couple of rifles 15-20 years ago cheaply, one a sako 250 with a Khales 8x56 and the other a rem 700 17 rem also with a khales 8 x 56 on it... I've since removed the scopes and had them serviced ( sold one ) and the other is a beauty that I'll hang on to.

Anyway...

The 17 Rem I mentioned on here I may as well turn it into something else becuase I've now bought the cz 527 17 Hornet so that might end up a 204 or a 223.

The Sako 250 is still in really good nick and I may as well throw a scope on it and find out if it still shoots - its so long ago since I bought it ( had another 250 at the time ) I didn't ever really bother with it prior to taking the scope off it so I don't even know how well it shoots... I kinda figured back then the fella that had it didn't use it bugger all so it probably sat around deteriorating ( the barrel that is ), maybe not cleaned properly then stored but really I was only guessing and If he's ran an oily patch through it then it shouldn't have mattered I guess how long it sat around... I just figured being a quick shooting 250 it needed to be well looked after and maybe it wasn't so i'd probably have to spend some $$ down the track if i wanted it to reach its potential.

I give it a wipe down every now and again and yesterday gave it a full barrel clean ( which i can't ever remember doing either ) then sent an oily patch through the barrel and put it away again.

So my question is... If the barrel was not shot out and it was stowed correctly all these years then in theory it should shoot ok.... But for the experts on here, if it doesn't what would you first look for regarding trouble shooting it...

My attitude always was one day I'll lash out and get a new barrel and scope and give the rifle the respect it deserves but perhaps i've been sitting on a good shooter anyway and all it needs is some love and a new scope and away she goes...

For the record its a Sako Forrester with a heavy Varmint barrel

Sorry for the long winded post and cheers in advance...

Boon
Timboon
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: Older Rifle Accuracy

Post by LawrenceA » 09 Nov 2020, 8:32 pm

Define accurately?

Assuming there is nothing obviously wrong.
First things first check the crown, throat and bedding, personally I always do the trigger as well.
1. The crown can be relatively easily damaged through misadventure or bad cleaning regime.
2. As you mention the 22-250 is hard on the barrel throat so check it and as it is Varmint weight you may be able to set it back if the throat is worn. No new barrel required.
3. Back in the 80's and 90's the factory bedding was not as good as it is now so it was pretty universal to at least float the barrel if not get the action bedded.
4. The Sako Trigger is adjustable. I find a creep free trigger essential for accuracy.

Normally then it is just load development.
As a benchmark try some Sako ammo if you can get it.
I have not heard of a Sako that didn't shoot but I am sure there is one somewhere.

Good luck
One well placed shot is all it takes.
LawrenceA
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 09 Nov 2020, 9:23 pm

What about. Older person accuracy ?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Timboon » 09 Nov 2020, 9:34 pm

Thanks for your reply Lawrence,

Can you please explain how you set the throat back?

I would have assumed that if the throat is worn the only thing you could do there is go fwd a few thou as opposed to the other way.

Is that what you meant or am I not reading the play.
Timboon
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by marksman » 09 Nov 2020, 10:37 pm

setting the throat back is usually done by rechambering an existing chamber
can work very well by knocking of the threads and starting again to give a fresh throat as well as knocking an inch off the muzzle to get rid of fishmouthing and a new 90 degree crown but if its to far gone you cant make a silk purse out of a sows ear

what l would do is pull the rifle apart cleaning everything and reassembling it carefully making sure to tighten everything nicely as you go looking for trouble repairing if you find anything, make sure the rifle should not be the problem
then buy a couple of packets of different factory ammo and l do mean average stuff like PPU and winchester
then give it a crack at 100 off a solid rest with a rear bag
that will give you a good indication of whether its worth going further with handloading to get tighter groups

if you are happy with how it shoots then look at handloading and tweaks but it would be good to have a look at the shape and size of groups it shoots now

they were a very good rifle and did shoot well, that's how l would approach it, good luck with it :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by LawrenceA » 10 Nov 2020, 8:03 am

Timboon wrote:Thanks for your reply Lawrence,

Can you please explain how you set the throat back?

I would have assumed that if the throat is worn the only thing you could do there is go fwd a few thou as opposed to the other way.

Is that what you meant or am I not reading the play.

Basically I mean set the barrel back and run the chamber reamer back in to recut the shoulder and throat.
Usually the barrel only needs to come back 1-2 turns.
If the throat is worn beyond that then it may not be worth the trouble. A good gunsmith could advise there.
One well placed shot is all it takes.
LawrenceA
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Timboon » 10 Nov 2020, 9:33 am

Yeah got you.

Should be an enjoyable little project.

Cheers
Timboon
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Timboon » 10 Nov 2020, 9:33 am

Yeah got you.

Should be an enjoyable little project.

Cheers
Timboon
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 11 Nov 2020, 6:05 pm

Give it a good clean and polish the throat with some JB bore paste. Then see how it shoots.

If you want it to shoot 1/4 MOA then spend $1,000 and put a new barrel on it. If you are happy with a minute of deer, then see what you can do with the existing barrel.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles