223 For Roos

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: 223 For Roos

Post by Boundry Rider » 04 Jun 2022, 6:59 pm

At the lunch bar, service woman at 0525hrs on a Friday,

"what you up to for the weekend?"
"going out to Moora to shoot a few Foxes tonight"
"Aww poor animals, I'm a bit sad for the Foxes..."
"Well Mick the Farmer isn't, and neither is a dozen of his newborn lambs that'll survive the night"
"Oh... I see"
Escaped WALcatraz
Boundry Rider
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by dnedative » 04 Jun 2022, 7:32 pm

City folk love foxes, till they see lambs with eyes ripped out and all the other native animals they kill.
Only good fox is a dead one, rabbits are just pests, they dont kill anything else in their lives directly.
dnedative
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 04 Jun 2022, 9:03 pm

dnedative wrote:City folk love foxes, till they see lambs with eyes ripped out and all the other native animals they kill.
Only good fox is a dead one, rabbits are just pests, they dont kill anything else in their lives directly.

Rabbit is useful and if cooked right, can be tasty. They’ve also been food for peasants for thousands of years. If I can take meat home for the freezer I do :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Tubs » 04 Jun 2022, 9:59 pm

bigrich wrote:
dnedative wrote:City folk love foxes, till they see lambs with eyes ripped out and all the other native animals they kill.

Rabbit is useful and if cooked right, can be tasty. They’ve also been food for peasants for thousands of years. If I can take meat home for the freezer I do :thumbsup:

Rabbit is delicious; my Maltese relatives have been eating it for hundreds of years. Just gotta eat with lots of olive oil or other fat cause it is almost 100% protein/muscle
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by mickb » 05 Jun 2022, 1:46 am

Fellas on a side tangent, but as we have some high volume 223 shooters here, whats the typical barrel life for 223? 5000 rounds?
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bigrich » 05 Jun 2022, 5:58 am

mickb wrote:Fellas on a side tangent, but as we have some high volume 223 shooters here, whats the typical barrel life for 223? 5000 rounds?

Depends on what you’re accuracy requirements are I guess. I’ve got about 2000 rounds through my tikka, and it’s about as accurate as it’s ever been. The B&C stock shrunk my groups down to one ragged hole at 100 for three shots of the bench. 5000 is about what I’ve heard for acceptable accuracy. Barrel life world also depend on projectiles speed and shot frequency. Pump the shots through fast and heat would speed up throat erosion
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by mickb » 05 Jun 2022, 8:25 am

Thanks bigrich and good point about about projectiles and shot frequency
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bladeracer » 05 Jun 2022, 8:56 am

mickb wrote:Fellas on a side tangent, but as we have some high volume 223 shooters here, whats the typical barrel life for 223? 5000 rounds?

I would think a lot more than I could ever put through one centrefire rifle.

But you have some questions that come with yours, how rapidly are you shooting (heat in the throat is probably the biggest single cause of throat erosion), how hot are you loading your ammo, and how do you measure acceptable accuracy?

I would guesstimate a rough average to be in that 5000rds to 8000rds region for average shooters hunting and a bit of practicing. For a short-range varmint rifle that might do regular "50rds in fifteen minutes" sessions you might find 3000rds to 4000rds to be it before you start seeing too many fliers to be acceptable. If you're shooting rabbits and foxes in the 300-500m range then perhaps 2000rd might be it. And if you're loading for maximum velocities and shooting rapid groups during lulls in the wind you might be getting frustrated at the 1000rd mark. If you're happy to plink all day long with reduced loads and perhaps even cast bullets, I wouldn't be surprised if you saw no loss of accuracy at all, ever.

On the other hand I regularly see groups posted online from AR shooters that are perfectly happy with 3-minute groups, and I'm sure there are a fair few AR's with well over 10,000rds through them, and fairly rapidly. I wonder how often the military replaces their M16/M4 barrels?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Boundry Rider » 05 Jun 2022, 9:38 am

55000psi and 3000FPS means plenty of shooting life especially using a stainless or ChrMo axle. I must be around 2.5 - 3K now on my SS Hawkeye and nothing has changed a bit. Shoots 1/4-1/2 MOA.
Escaped WALcatraz
Boundry Rider
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Hoppa 101 » 05 Jun 2022, 10:55 am

10000 from the first stainless barrel on my T3 and the current TSE barrel is coming up to that number. Accuracy is still good and I'll get it set back to remove the eroded throat when the time comes to get another 2 to 3 thousand out of it
Animal Control Contractor
Hoppa 101
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 05 Jun 2022, 8:01 pm

bigrich wrote:
Very good comparison rifles and bikes blade. If their not respected the outcome can be tragic. I live in suburbia, and have been criticised over hunting. Once you explain the impact of ferals and the benefits of taking them out of the bush, I can get acknowledgment on that. But very few suburban potato-heads give a second thought where the meat in their fast food or their “guilt free “ meat from the supermarket on the little plastic trays actually comes from. I’ve also found some rural folks are a bit dubious of me until they find out I’m grounded on the realities of life on the land away from the city .

LOL,,,,,,,,,,,, everybody knows it comes from any of 3 sources,,,,,,,,, Coles,, Woolies,, or Aldi. :sarcasm: :sarcasm:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 05 Jun 2022, 8:31 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
bigrich wrote:
Very good comparison rifles and bikes blade. If their not respected the outcome can be tragic. I live in suburbia, and have been criticised over hunting. Once you explain the impact of ferals and the benefits of taking them out of the bush, I can get acknowledgment on that. But very few suburban potato-heads give a second thought where the meat in their fast food or their “guilt free “ meat from the supermarket on the little plastic trays actually comes from. I’ve also found some rural folks are a bit dubious of me until they find out I’m grounded on the realities of life on the land away from the city .

LOL,,,,,,,,,,,, everybody knows it comes from any of 3 sources,,,,,,,,, Coles,, Woolies,, or Aldi. :sarcasm: :sarcasm:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Yeah that’s it DJ. You should see some friends I have cringe when I tell them I butcher my own meat. Heaven forbid people get their hands dirty these days :D
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Freeportfreedom » 10 Oct 2022, 3:34 pm

I wish I lived there. Sounds like a fun hunt. You eat the meat? What's it taste like?
Freeportfreedom
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles