223 For Roos

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: 223 For Roos

Post by SCJ429 » 19 Nov 2020, 7:24 pm

I bought the 1:8 because that was available, I don't use heavy projectiles in a 223 anymore, 80s from a 223 can't hold a candle to a 105 from a 6BR. If I get to choose the twist rate, I will pick the minimum I need. All things being equal, a 1:14 will shoot 50s better than a 1:8. If you have a choice between a 1:8 Tikka and a 1:12, and you are shooting light projectiles then get the slower twist. If you don't have a choice then the 1:8 will be fine, you are just increasing the RPM of the pill above its ideal. This will cost you a small amount of precision. If you are looking for 1/2 inch groups or larger, you probably would not notice the difference.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 19 Nov 2020, 7:51 pm

I will also use a 223 AI reamer, why change from the standard 223? Because the AI is slightly more interesting and I have the choice. Unfortunately Tikka didn't give me that choice originally so you get what the factory offers you.

If you want an entry level competition rifle which you can take hunting, the Tikka Varmint will give you confidence with the good results you will achieve. You can buy the original T3 secondhand for about $1,000 and you have yourself a rifle with great potential.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 19 Nov 2020, 9:19 pm

SCJ429 wrote:I bought the 1:8 because that was available, I don't use heavy projectiles in a 223 anymore, 80s from a 223 can't hold a candle to a 105 from a 6BR. If I get to choose the twist rate, I will pick the minimum I need. All things being equal, a 1:14 will shoot 50s better than a 1:8. If you have a choice between a 1:8 Tikka and a 1:12, and you are shooting light projectiles then get the slower twist. If you don't have a choice then the 1:8 will be fine, you are just increasing the RPM of the pill above its ideal. This will cost you a small amount of precision. If you are looking for 1/2 inch groups or larger, you probably would not notice the difference.

l agree with this :thumbsup: my 22 dasher is a 1:8 and shoots 80gr bergers one ragged hole but 55gr bullets will be double the size
when l rebarrel this rifle next time it will wear a 1:12 because l shoot the 55gr bullets more often :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 20 Nov 2020, 7:42 am

SCJ429 wrote:All things being equal

Yes I think that's the key. Whilst all this conjecture is to a degree relevant, and fun, at the end of the day, if you're load and barrel isn't impressive, these twist nuances are a bit of a moot point. If you are chasing match groups, I'd be getting hung up more on the rifle/barrel, before focusing too heavily on the twist. As you say, hard to go wrong with a Tikka :thumbsup: Better still, track down something with a match-grade barrel.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Hoppa 101 » 02 Jun 2022, 10:32 am

I have a Tikka T3 stainless varmint with a TSE truck axle on it and a Boyd's stock. This is the gun I use professionally to shoot a ute load of roos each week. 25 grains of BM2 with a 55 V Max is the load I use. V Max projectiles are the best roo projectiles I've found. Super Roos tend to be a little hard and you can get skull bounce on occasion if the head is not at an absolute right angle when you shoot.
The "long range snipers" on here can confuse a newbie. The fact is you need to keep your shots under 200 metres with a 223. Animal welfare counts. For every fox killed at 500m there's always a couple that were wounded and suffered. The art of hunting is how close you can get not how far away you shot it from. If you keep to sensible ranges and place your shots, deer, pigs and roos etc will all fall to a 55 in a 223.
Animal Control Contractor
Hoppa 101
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by geoff » 02 Jun 2022, 11:34 am

Hoppa 101 wrote:I have a Tikka T3 stainless varmint with a TSE truck axle on it and a Boyd's stock. This is the gun I use professionally to shoot a ute load of roos each week. 25 grains of BM2 with a 55 V Max is the load I use. V Max projectiles are the best roo projectiles I've found. Super Roos tend to be a little hard and you can get skull bounce on occasion if the head is not at an absolute right angle when you shoot.
The "long range snipers" on here can confuse a newbie. The fact is you need to keep your shots under 200 metres with a 223. Animal welfare counts. For every fox killed at 500m there's always a couple that were wounded and suffered. The art of hunting is how close you can get not how far away you shot it from. If you keep to sensible ranges and place your shots, deer, pigs and roos etc will all fall to a 55 in a 223.

Interesting that you mention you prefer the vmax to the soft point - i shoot the vmax's out of my 243 on the real windy nights, and i have found the vmax to be more susceptible to splashing out on the skull and not penetrating sufficiently for my liking. Horses for courses I guess and we all have different experiences depending on how we go about it.

I like what you said about animal welfare - guns are a great example of how you can really go down a rabbit hole with theory about doing this that or the other with it but really, if its for shooting roos from a vehicle, there's a very narrow set of parameters that apply effectively and efficiently ($ wise).
geoff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by animalpest » 02 Jun 2022, 12:20 pm

I have never had an issue with Super Roos out of a .223. And shooting more than 75 roos per night at the moment.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Hoppa 101 » 02 Jun 2022, 1:42 pm

geoff wrote:
Hoppa 101 wrote:I have a Tikka T3 stainless varmint with a TSE truck axle on it and a Boyd's stock. This is the gun I use professionally to shoot a ute load of roos each week. 25 grains of BM2 with a 55 V Max is the load I use. V Max projectiles are the best roo projectiles I've found. Super Roos tend to be a little hard and you can get skull bounce on occasion if the head is not at an absolute right angle when you shoot.

Interesting that you mention you prefer the vmax to the soft point - i shoot the vmax's out of my 243 on the real windy nights, and i have found the vmax to be more susceptible to splashing out on the skull and not penetrating sufficiently for my liking. Horses for courses I guess and we all have different experiences depending on how we go about it.

I like what you said about animal welfare - guns are a great example of how you can really go down a rabbit hole with theory about doing this that or the other with it but really, if its for shooting roos from a vehicle, there's a very narrow set of parameters that apply effectively and efficiently ($ wise).

Maybe the roos where I am have thinner skulls and the v max can penetrate easier. This could be a sign of intelligence too. I have discussed existentialist philosophy with them before but only after they were dead. Can't get them to sit still and listen to me when they're alive :unknown:
On a lighter note my favouritest bullet was the Nosler Shots 52 gr HPBT. That's now the Custom Competition and you need to sell your first born to buy a packet now. I'm currently shooting 50 gr TNTs which downed a couple of pigs last trip as well so go figure.
Hoppa 101
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Hoppa 101 » 02 Jun 2022, 1:47 pm

animalpest wrote:I have never had an issue with Super Roos out of a .223. And shooting more than 75 roos per night at the moment.

Maybe I got a hard batch. Performance was good when they went in but just the odd one didn't do the righty. Who knows. Given the intermittent supply of projectiles atm I might have to give them another go.
Hoppa 101
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Boundry Rider » 02 Jun 2022, 7:58 pm

I have a SS Hawkeye 1 in 9. Won’t shoot 50 or 55 grain spread less than a dinner plate. Shoots 1/2 MOA handloaded 60G Nosler @ 3050FPS though. Head shoot: rabbits to 120, roos to 180, foxes to 200Y comfortably.
Escaped WALcatraz
Boundry Rider
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Over The Hill » 02 Jun 2022, 9:31 pm

PaddyT wrote:Original idea was to possibly shoot heavier pills-or at least have a couple in the pocket when im out on an armed bushwalk if i ran into a fallow or a pig, but the 64 grainers are cheap, shoot well and kill effectively inside my shot range-which in most places i take the 223 is inside 150 yards. if im hunting bigger stuff i take a bigger rifle

My Tikka T3X 1:8 shoots OSA 55g Blitz Kings almost as good as my 77g Matchking premium loads. The 55g Blitz Kings shoot under 1" at 100 all day long. With the ammo I use atm the 77g has same POI at 100 as the 55g so best of both worlds :)
Over The Hill
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by deye243 » 02 Jun 2022, 10:31 pm

Ok from all you clowns that say all day long I want to see a target and video of a 5 x 5 shot target .
That's 5 x a 5 shot target . At 100
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Over The Hill » 03 Jun 2022, 12:58 am

deye243 wrote:Ok from all you clowns that say all day long I want to see a target and video of a 5 x 5 shot target .
Attachments
Clown.jpg
Clown.jpg (8.84 KiB) Viewed 2709 times
Over The Hill
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by deye243 » 03 Jun 2022, 4:35 am

Over The Hill wrote:
deye243 wrote:Ok from all you clowns that say all day long I want to see a target and video of a 5 x 5 shot target .

Exactly
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 03 Jun 2022, 10:01 am

Over The Hill wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

i have a 223 tikka t3 1-12 twist in a B&C stock that shoots silly small groups at 100 with 23.8gn of BM2 in ADI brass and 55vmax . it does any light game job i ask of it very well . it's mostly used for feild rifle comps at my local range , but it's reliable accuracy and great factory trigger always impress :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by animalpest » 03 Jun 2022, 10:53 am

I am currently shooting roos with 50gr TNT using a Tikka T3 in .223 and a Sako Vixen in .222. Both a factory standard with Leupold scopes.

The .223 is running ADI brass while the .222 is using Myra brass. They are burning ADI 8208 and 2207 respectively.
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 03 Jun 2022, 1:48 pm

Did you forget something perhaps?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 03 Jun 2022, 4:54 pm

I don’t even own a 223
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 03 Jun 2022, 6:28 pm

Blr243 wrote:I don’t even own a 223

Shame on you , you should go buy one to support your local firearms dealer :P
I tend to see my 223 as a bit of a plinker in some ways. I was getting 50 round blister packs of OSA ammo from rebel gun works a while back for $55.
More fun than a 22lr and I got brass for my hand loads. I reckon 222 is more inherently accurate, but the cost factor of brass swayed me to 223. In the paddock .25” doesn’t really matter on ferals
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 03 Jun 2022, 6:48 pm

Had a couple pre 96 but handed in. Been thinking about it lately nice cheap light howa sporter ... partially due to the ridiculously cheap fac ammo available
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Tubs » 04 Jun 2022, 12:23 am

Yes wrote:G'day all,
Wanted to get opinions...
I'm in the market for a 223 that will be used 60% for hunting purposes (Roos) and 40% for target shooting.
I'm also planning on reloading my own ammunition and want to keep it simple - meaning the fewer the well worked up loads the better!
Given 55g projectiles are good (the best?) for Roos, and the 1:12 twist with throw the 55g the most reliably, I was leaning toward the 1:12 twist.
Catch is, I have property big enough to accommodate much longer-range shooting and I feel like I'm missing out if I limit myself to the 1:12 and lighter projectile.
So... In my shoes... What would you choose and why?

Buy a 1 in 8, you'll never know when you'll want to load heavier pills.
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by animalpest » 04 Jun 2022, 2:08 am

Bottom line is that for roos, you are limited to a maximum distance of 200m or your are not complying with the National Code of Practice.

As soon as anyone infers that they are shooting roos at longer distances than 200m you are giving the anti gun and animal welfare lobby groups what they want to make shooters look bad.

Do the right thing when shooting animals or stop it and just punch holes in paper.
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bigrich » 04 Jun 2022, 8:48 am

animalpest wrote:Bottom line is that for roos, you are limited to a maximum distance of 200m or your are not complying with the National Code of Practice.

As soon as anyone infers that they are shooting roos at longer distances than 200m you are giving the anti gun and animal welfare lobby groups what they want to make shooters look bad.

Do the right thing when shooting animals or stop it and just punch holes in paper.

Agree 100%. It’s up to us as a group to encourage responsible and humane hunting practices within our group as well. All native species are protected , and ferals deserve humane treatment as a living being as well. I’ve probably got more empathy and feeling for other people and animals since I took up hunting. With power comes responsibility
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by animalpest » 04 Jun 2022, 10:40 am

Yes Bigrich and more than that, perhaps its time to start calling out those that either through ignorance or bragging post comments that make us look bad.
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 04 Jun 2022, 11:28 am

animalpest wrote:Yes Bigrich and more than that, perhaps its time to start calling out those that either through ignorance or bragging post comments that make us look bad.

I've only read the OP,,,,,,,,,,,, and the above posts from bigrich and animalpest so I'm not bothering to read in between.

To Bigrich and Animalpest,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 04 Jun 2022, 12:39 pm

animalpest wrote:Yes Bigrich and more than that, perhaps its time to start calling out those that either through ignorance or bragging post comments that make us look bad.

Agreed. I think some of the newer people to hunting need “nurturing “ with regards to hunting ethics and morality, and I have done so when I’ve encountered poor behaviour.
Back on topic, I’ve seen some debate on twist rates/ bullet weight. Yeah, with correct shot placement you can get a 223 to throw heavy for caliber projectiles successfully at larger game. Personally I st with 1-12 as it throws 55gn projectiles with a high degree of accuracy at a reasonable flat trajectory at game that a 223 is intended for. Rabbit, fox , cat . I’ve seen goats hit with 223 by a mate, and the outcome was slow at times. On the same hunt I was using a 6.5x55 with 140 sst that had fast kills out to 250 metres. Which is the desired outcome. :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 04 Jun 2022, 1:31 pm

bigrich wrote:Agree 100%. It’s up to us as a group to encourage responsible and humane hunting practices within our group as well. All native species are protected , and ferals deserve humane treatment as a living being as well. I’ve probably got more empathy and feeling for other people and animals since I took up hunting. With power comes responsibility

Agreed, and this is precisely why we need to be able to teach our kids hunting when they're young. I have always equated shooting to motorcycle riding in that both give you control over great power, but both require very tight self discipline and self-control, and both build your confidence in your own abilities. The basis of life is that to live we must kill, even vegans and vegetarians live by killing plants. Too many people these days have no concept that the food they eat every day used to be alive.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by mickb » 04 Jun 2022, 1:56 pm

Good thread to read. Myself I never used a 223 much but bought one in a weatherby vanguard last year with 24" barrel and 1:9 twist. I did five minutes of armchair research at the time and decided the slightly faster twist might allow heavier bullets if I want to hit heavier game. Figured its always good to have a 223 and cheap to feed if things get tough. Still havent taken it out the safe yet though, cant even remember what scope I have on it.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bigrich » 04 Jun 2022, 6:05 pm

mickb wrote:Good thread to read. Myself I never used a 223 much but bought one in a weatherby vanguard last year with 24" barrel and 1:9 twist. I did five minutes of armchair research at the time and decided the slightly faster twist might allow heavier bullets if I want to hit heavier game. Figured its always good to have a 223 and cheap to feed if things get tough. Still havent taken it out the safe yet though, cant even remember what scope I have on it.

I had a vanguard. Good accurate rifle. Bit on the heavy side though, but very well made a higher standard of finish than a howa. Yeah, I know a howa is cheaper, but I like a accurate rifle that also looks good too :D
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 04 Jun 2022, 6:16 pm

bladeracer wrote:
bigrich wrote:Agree 100%. It’s up to us as a group to encourage responsible and humane hunting practices within our group as well. All native species are protected , and ferals deserve humane treatment as a living being as well. I’ve probably got more empathy and feeling for other people and animals since I took up hunting. With power comes responsibility

Agreed, and this is precisely why we need to be able to teach our kids hunting when they're young. I have always equated shooting to motorcycle riding in that both give you control over great power, but both require very tight self discipline and self-control, and both build your confidence in your own abilities. The basis of life is that to live we must kill, even vegans and vegetarians live by killing plants. Too many people these days have no concept that the food they eat every day used to be alive.

Very good comparison rifles and bikes blade. If their not respected the outcome can be tragic. I live in suburbia, and have been criticised over hunting. Once you explain the impact of ferals and the benefits of taking them out of the bush, I can get acknowledgment on that. But very few suburban potato-heads give a second thought where the meat in their fast food or their “guilt free “ meat from the supermarket on the little plastic trays actually comes from. I’ve also found some rural folks are a bit dubious of me until they find out I’m grounded on the realities of life on the land away from the city .
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Centerfire rifles