Steyr Pro Hunters on sale

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Steyr Pro Hunters on sale

Post by von_klitzing » 24 Mar 2014, 9:42 am

The Steyr Pro Hunters are currently going for $1100 odd for the base model at various...

I bought a stainless model in .308, it's likely to be the only time I could ever even afford one!

So I'm just waiting in the PTA :)

Anyone else pick up a Steyr recently?

Any thoughts?
von_klitzing
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Steyr sale

Post by Chronos » 24 Mar 2014, 9:58 am

I saw them advertised, (price is $1190 with free interstate shipping)

http://usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=32807

A pro hunter stainless a .308 would be a great rifle for most shooting situations in australia, let us know how it goes

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Re: Steyr Pro Hunters on sale

Post by Deco » 24 Mar 2014, 3:27 pm

Nice rifles, usually a bit expensive IMO. RRP for them is normally $1950 or something right?

Definitely worse things you could buy for $1,100 though.

Can't complain about a $850 discount ;)
Browning X-Bolt Hunter in .270 Winchester
Deco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Chronos » 24 Mar 2014, 3:50 pm

i'd advise you take a read of the short review here before buying

http://www.ssaa.org.au/officialreviews/ ... ifles.html

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Kipper » 25 Mar 2014, 9:04 am

Hmm, not exactly a glowing review of them there :(

Not for their regular price anyway.
Kipper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by von_klitzing » 25 Mar 2014, 9:34 am

I've read that there are a couple of fixes for the forend flex. I got my PTA today and hope to pick it up tomoz or Thursday so I'll let you know how the flex goes with pics. If required, I'll also look at how to fix it and let you know how it all works out :)
-- I'll gladly be your test bunny for this one ;) --
von_klitzing
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Rocker » 25 Mar 2014, 1:09 pm

On completion of the review, the experts found that each rifle shot better with the lighter bullets. In a few of the rifles, the 180-grain bullets did not perform all that well but would still deliver ‘minute of deer’ when called upon.

"Minute of deer" ha ha :lol:
Sako A7 30-06
Marlin 1895 Guide Gun 45-70
Rocker
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by von_klitzing » 26 Mar 2014, 1:44 pm

Picked up the steyr today :) can't wait to unpack it and have a play tonight! Will take some piccys
von_klitzing
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by von_klitzing » 27 Mar 2014, 9:54 am

I got to have a short play with my new Steyr Pro Hunter last night (busy busy) and I'm loving it! The big issue of stock forend flex is there, but other than the forend, this rifle is very well built.
It's very light in my hands, and feels very well balanced. It feels quite right when brought up to my cheek, I don't have to adjust my position to look down the top of the barrel. The barrel has an ugly but unique external twist along its entire length. I hope it grows on me ;)
The bore is immaculate as you'd expect from a factory new rifle. The action looks very well manufactured and fits very nicely into the stock.
It was a bit difficult figuring out how to assemble the bolt as I had it apart immediately after unwrapping it lol. But once I figured out the orientation of the shroud to the bolt it was smooth as butter. As new the bolt is quite stiff to lock the lugs, I guess with time it will smooth up. I may oil it and just sit and work it for a while to see if it changes at all. The bolt handle is different to what I'm used to, as all my rifles ave the round bolt handle that pivots quite nicely around the webbing of my hand when working it with the wrist only. It will definitely take some time to get used to having my thumb on top, effectively forcing my elbow to do the work. We'll see, I may end up making up a new handle...
Now I just want to emphasize the quality of the machining of this rifle. Here's a close up of the bolt, check out the lugs, not a single burr can be felt anywhere on the corners or edges. All the chamfering is even with a nice finish. In my personal experience, I have handled a new marlin lever action .44 of my brother in-law's, and the first thing I noticed was burrs and machine marks in the bolt (not badgering marlins though). Not so with this rifle.
Even though the stock has the flex issue, I'm extremely happy to own one of these steyr pro hunters. A great price for one of these at the moment I think.
I'm no professional shooter, and this is just my humble opinion at first sight. I will take it out to the range to fire it in 3 weeks time and let you know how it goes :)
von_klitzing
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by ebr love » 27 Mar 2014, 10:38 am

von_klitzing wrote:I may oil it and just sit and work it for a while to see if it changes at all.

Worth a go I reckon.

New bolts, box magazines etc., anything moving really... Often a bit stiff to start.

Cycle it 100 times and see how it's feeling.
TIKKA T3 TAC .300 WIN MAG
HOW SPORTER 270 WIN
HOWA YOUTH .204 RUGER
MARLIN 1889 .38-40
ebr love
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Hercl » 27 Mar 2014, 11:49 am

Yeah, give it a go.

A mate recently picked up a Scout and out of the box the magazine was terrible to load and cycle. The bolt wasn't a whole lot better.

Loaded it and cycled it empty for about 150 rounds or whatever and it smoothed right out all round.
What is this "too many rifles" you speak of?
Hercl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by tickatock » 07 Feb 2018, 8:37 pm

von_klitzing wrote:I've read that there are a couple of fixes for the forend flex. I got my PTA today and hope to pick it up tomoz or Thursday so I'll let you know how the flex goes with pics. If required, I'll also look at how to fix it and let you know how it all works out :)
-- I'll gladly be your test bunny for this one ;) --

Did you manage or does any other person know how to fix the fore end flex in this rifle. ???
tickatock
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by fxol » 11 Feb 2018, 8:01 am

The later models don't flex like the earlier versions. My pro varmint flexes but doesn't contact the barrel so no issue.
fxol
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Royce » 26 Aug 2018, 12:48 am

I bought a Steyr Pro Hunter 243Win 6 months ago. Sold a Remington model 700 308Win. That I have had for 23 years. Havent looked back. The Steyr is perfect, clover leaf groups off the bench and no game has been safe. Topped by a Whisky Sig Saur 4-12x50 this platform performs really well. Even the safety mechanisms have been criticized (one critic says "that it will take some getting used to". Crap it took all of 3 minutes). Forget the old reviews go and get one. I love it.
Royce
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by winton » 18 Sep 2018, 12:59 pm

Great rifle those steyr pro hunters. Great bang for your buck. Only downside is the weight.

Doesn't it bother anyone? They could have made it a little lighter.
winton
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by thcerd » 25 Apr 2020, 11:33 pm

I have owned about 20 different makes of centre fire rifles. I read the SSAA review. I don't use a hunting rifle and shoot it off sand bags unless I am sighting in a new scope.. However I shoot a lot for work out in the scrub. I have the pro hunter stainless in .243. I love it. Its accurate, reliable, tough and I have had no issues with recoil while sighting in and plinking at the range.

But honestly is a hunting rifle designed to take some beatings and not designed specifically to sit on sand bags. I haven't found any real flex to worry about especially for my application. I doesn't touch the barrel. It took me one minute to figure out the safe bolt system, its not rocket science. I like it.

I don't understand the SSAA review, it looks like they reviewed it as a bench rest rifle. It does feel like a hard tough piece of kit compared to a timber stock on the shoulder all day, but I wanted the hard wearing synthetic for my work in the bush. I am not worried about it being dented or scuffed up in the car, on rocks and shrubbery or on the back of a ute.

I would buy again, its my go to bush rifle. No idea why its so cheap in the shop. Quality rifle, bargain. Most of my other rifles are timber stocks and I like them a lot. But for hard work in the rough stuff, all weather, I really do like the Steyr.

I put a 10 round extension on it with a 10 round mag. Expensive to do...but I am a happy man.

If I was doing a fun hunt and I was nostalgic id take my old cz or my sako timber rifles out for a hunt. I understand the feeling of doing that and why people prefer those rifles. However this modern Steyr is a very nice tool and does a perfect job for me when I go to work. Its a modern tool and not a traditional firearm.

I am not saying the reviewers are wrong, I just don't share their concerns.

I know 2 other people that have them and they don't want to sell them. I am not selling mine.
thcerd
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 26 Apr 2020, 10:28 am

I had an absolute nightmare 06 pro hunter (long thread on here somewhere) - had to Ultimately get a refund after 4 other pro hunters were tested and failed accuracy tests at factory.
Replaced it with a sauer 06 which has been amazingly accurate.
I have a pro varmint in Steyr 223 - completely different and shoots very very well but barrel is heavier.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by solarpak » 26 Apr 2020, 8:05 pm

Yeah its an interesting one - the Pro Hunters are around half the price of the Pro Varmint - barrel profile aside is there any difference in their manufacturing method? You wouldn't think so??

Yeah the old SSAA Technical Editor is a World Benchrest champ so his opinions of rifles revolve around his expertise and know how - if it doesn't shoot into a bug-hole its "not in the post-code"

C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 26 Apr 2020, 8:13 pm

The email that was accidentally sent to me from Winchester - included a response from Steyr that was a little appalling to be honest. I can’t recall word for word but it said that the customer shouldn’t expect much from such a budget rifle and testing rifles costs dollars, therefore the accuracy guarantee of such a budget rifle should be a guide only not a warrantable guarantee - or crap to that extent...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by thcerd » 27 Apr 2020, 4:53 pm

I bought mine in about 2014. Its a shooter. Big cost difference in the Pro Varmint but I am led to believe the action is the same on the pro hunter and the ssg. Seems like you pay extra for a modified stock and heavy barrel? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fp1P7gftf-o not sure if this helps with any real answers?
thcerd
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by thcerd » 27 Apr 2020, 5:11 pm

https://www.steyracademy.com/

Bit of info on Edoardo's background from the above youtube clip. He does work and get paid by Steyr at the time of video.
thcerd
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Return to Centerfire rifles