Good gunshops to buy milsurps?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Good gunshops to buy milsurps?

Post by Gun-nut » 30 Nov 2020, 1:21 pm

Hey everyone,

Looking for recommendations for gun shops in Melbourne, (though I'm open to purchasing from interstate given they're a reputable dealer) that have a decent variety of milsurps in stock (and hopefully not charging an arm or a leg either). I'm looking specifically for a no4 mk2 lee enfield, but will be happy to jump on any model granted its in good condition. Hoping you blokes might be able to guide me in the right direction as due to difficulty in travel atm I can't scour the ends of the country looking for what I want :D . Any help would be greatly appreciated, cheers.
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Good gunshops to buy milsurps?

Post by bladeracer » 30 Nov 2020, 1:27 pm

Gun-nut wrote:Hey everyone,

Looking for recommendations for gun shops in Melbourne, (though I'm open to purchasing from interstate given they're a reputable dealer) that have a decent variety of milsurps in stock (and hopefully not charging an arm or a leg either). I'm looking specifically for a no4 mk2 lee enfield, but will be happy to jump on any model granted its in good condition. Hoping you blokes might be able to guide me in the right direction as due to difficulty in travel atm I can't scour the ends of the country looking for what I want :D . Any help would be greatly appreciated, cheers.

No idea about locally. Miall's had a few milsurps when I was in there a few years ago.
Rebelgunworks usually has a decent range.
There is Claremont in Perth but have never dealt with them.

Don't think I've seen an actual No4Mk2 in the flesh, they all seem to be No4Mk1* when I find them.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 30 Nov 2020, 4:05 pm

G'day Gun-nut,
Gun shows, which now that CoV19 is loosening it's grip may start again soon, or 4 auctions per year 2 by Aust. Fine Arms and 2 by Aust. Arms Auctions. Here in Vic you can contact Jeff Pannan who runs the gun shows his contact details can be found in the SSAA magazine or Tim Pelns at Recoil Firearms both specialize in military rifles or you can contact Claremonts in Perth who carry a fair range of militaria , and contact Simon at Lawrance Ordnance in Sydney and tell him you want a Mk2. If he doesn't have one in stock he may well know where to find one. I have 3 Mk2's 2 of which are Fultons Regulated and which I have picked up at the auctions, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Gun-nut » 03 Dec 2020, 10:07 pm

Thanks for the answers guys! These are the kind of leads I'm looking for so I'll delve into those recommendations and see what pops up, I really do appreciate it fellas :drinks: .
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Mattraff » 04 Dec 2020, 8:18 pm

They turn up at the gun shows but are always way over priced. There was one dealer that had a No4 mk2 Fazakerly still in the paper that he had at a few shows that was expensive but not ridiculous. I just remember them being sold of cheap years ago so when I see them for thousands now find it hard to accept.
Mattraff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Gun-nut » 05 Dec 2020, 12:37 am

Mattraff wrote:They turn up at the gun shows but are always way over priced. There was one dealer that had a No4 mk2 Fazakerly still in the paper that he had at a few shows that was expensive but not ridiculous. I just remember them being sold of cheap years ago so when I see them for thousands now find it hard to accept.

Couldn't agree more. They manufactured them by the millions, but as long as people will pay absurd prices for them, prices will continue to increase. Similar thing is happening with mosins in the US where they're now being sold for much more than what they're worth imo. :unknown:
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by animalpest » 05 Dec 2020, 9:57 am

Try Barry's Firearms in Perth. Barry has been in the business of military and collectables for decades and just going to his shop is a treat.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 05 Dec 2020, 10:31 am

Gun-nut wrote:
Mattraff wrote:They turn up at the gun shows but are always way over priced. There was one dealer that had a No4 mk2 Fazakerly still in the paper that he had at a few shows that was expensive but not ridiculous. I just remember them being sold of cheap years ago so when I see them for thousands now find it hard to accept.

Couldn't agree more. They manufactured them by the millions, but as long as people will pay absurd prices for them, prices will continue to increase. Similar thing is happening with mosins in the US where they're now being sold for much more than what they're worth imo. :unknown:

Because somebody else is willing to pay more than you will to be able to enjoy owning something it's their fault the prices increase?

Yes, millions were made, but no more are being made. Every year more of those firearms that remain are lost, but every year more people want to own them. Regardless of today's prices, they will never become cheaper. You can either buy one now and get years of enjoyment out of it, or you can whine about prices and miss out on the pleasure while waiting forlornly for a bargain to pop up.

There are a whole lot of things that people are perfectly happy to waste their hard-earned incomes on, like cigarettes, alcohol, drugs, restaurants, junk food, night clubs, fashion, boats, the latest electronic gadgets, interest on vehicles they can't afford to own, etc. Buying any milsurp firearm is always going to be a smarter choice than any of those things.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gun-nut » 08 Dec 2020, 10:36 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Gun-nut wrote:

Because somebody else is willing to pay more than you will to be able to enjoy owning something it's their fault the prices increase?

Yes, millions were made, but no more are being made. Every year more of those firearms that remain are lost, but every year more people want to own them. Regardless of today's prices, they will never become cheaper. You can either buy one now and get years of enjoyment out of it, or you can whine about prices and miss out on the pleasure while waiting forlornly for a bargain to pop up.

There are a whole lot of things that people are perfectly happy to waste their hard-earned incomes on, like cigarettes, alcohol, drugs, restaurants, junk food, night clubs, fashion, boats, the latest electronic gadgets, interest on vehicles they can't afford to own, etc. Buying any milsurp firearm is always going to be a smarter choice than any of those things.

Whilst that is true, there does come a point where you're just being price gouged. I'd be happy to pay a premium for a mint enfield, but when you're being charged insane prices for a rifle with a sewer pipe for a barrel, and even little collectors value in many instances, it can be disheartening for new shooters to get into collecting milsurps. I don't particularly think its a clear cut thing, there are good deals out there to be had for sure, and ultimately a rifle is worth what you're willing to pay, but it doesnt help the market when you're paying premium prices to scrape the bottom of the barrel and would be better off buying a new rifle. I see what you're saying, and agree to an extent, but a lot of people get into milsurps and drop more money than they should without doing proper research before hand and end up inflating prices unnecessarily. Whilst milsurps are still reasonably affordable today, I worry for the younger generations who may not be able to afford the hobby in the future.
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 09 Dec 2020, 12:57 pm

Gun-nut wrote:Whilst that is true, there does come a point where you're just being price gouged. I'd be happy to pay a premium for a mint enfield, but when you're being charged insane prices for a rifle with a sewer pipe for a barrel, and even little collectors value in many instances, it can be disheartening for new shooters to get into collecting milsurps. I don't particularly think its a clear cut thing, there are good deals out there to be had for sure, and ultimately a rifle is worth what you're willing to pay, but it doesnt help the market when you're paying premium prices to scrape the bottom of the barrel and would be better off buying a new rifle. I see what you're saying, and agree to an extent, but a lot of people get into milsurps and drop more money than they should without doing proper research before hand and end up inflating prices unnecessarily. Whilst milsurps are still reasonably affordable today, I worry for the younger generations who may not be able to afford the hobby in the future.

I'm not interested in collecting them, I want to own them to enjoy shooting them, I don't need mint condition or any collector value so I leave those for the people that do. I want to be able to take them hunting without worrying about damage or wear.

I wouldn't worry too much about future generations, it's very likely future generations won't have even heard about our war history or know what a firearm is anyway. Enjoy them now, while we're still allowed to. It can literally end tomorrow, just like '96, with the stroke of a politician's pen.

It's probably about time for a new milsurp photo thread I reckon :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by snag » 09 Dec 2020, 8:22 pm

It's probably about time for a new milsurp photo thread I reckon :-)
100% agree with you there, a lot of us are interested in military rifles.

I think that while the price of military rifles has gone through the roof, it is a buyers market and it really is the consumer that sets the price. If a seller knows he can get $800 for a clapped out old SMLE, why would he sell it for $400? Us old blokes like to reminisce about Amart All Sports and their bins full of .303's for $15 each but you gotta remember we were paying $8 for a carton of beer back then and buying our first house for less than $50 thousand. And it was pre 1996. I can remember when we were all going to give up smoking if cigarettes ever got to $1.00 a packet and there was no way that a pot of beer would ever cost more than $1.00. Are we going to give up buying classic firearms because the prices have gone up? I don't think so .....
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by boingk » 09 Dec 2020, 9:54 pm

Exactly. Look at classic cars - similar thing. Good old supply and demand.

Personally I'd much rather buy a stuffed Enfield and throw a 45 ACP kit into it to make it something interesting. Good old Delistle cabine!

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by Florey55 » 28 Dec 2020, 9:04 am

If you are after a No4 Mk2 and have been put off by the insane asking prices, a cheaper alternative is a No 4 Mk1/3.\
These are No 4 Mk1 rifles that have been through the FTR and converted to No4 Mk2 specs.
I have one, in mint condition, and it cost me the princely sum of $800.
Florey55
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles