17 Hornet Ammo

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

17 Hornet Ammo

Post by Timboon » 30 Nov 2020, 9:03 pm

Gday fellas,

An update on the new 527 17 hornet I'm running in....

Only ammo i was using initially was the Hornady Superformance 20g Vmax and 2" @ 100 was about all I was getting.

I had put about 75 through it and hadn't really improved, picked up some S&B and also some Winchester to give a run.

Immediately I saw an improvement, both were under an 1" at 100m.

Rifle has had about 125 rounds through it now, I gave it a full clean and i'm looking forward to a windless day to have another crack and see how well she shoots.

I tried to post a pic of a few groups, the best with the S&B was 0.72" ( 100m ) and the best with the Winchester was 0.56", so after the rifle not shooting very well at all with the Hornady ammo, i'm now pretty happy and hoping this keeps improving.

I'll reload when I have the gear and the brass...

Cheers

Timboon
Timboon
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: 17 Hornet Ammo

Post by marksman » 30 Nov 2020, 9:10 pm

when they first came out the brass was a bit average so l made some for him from PPU 22 hornet cases and it made a world of difference
he had a 527 as well, he ended up with a load using berger 20gr bullets, rem 7.5 primers and adi 2207 powder that he could shoot rabbits out to 200 with, they are a good rifle IMHO, looking forward to seeing some of your pics when you put them up :drinks:

and l have heard that the cases are much better now :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Timboon » 30 Nov 2020, 9:46 pm

I mucked around trying to post picture of some groups but couldn't resize small enough this site would allow.

If anyone has any pointers for posting pics here i'm all ears,

I have read the same thing regarding the older Hornady brass MM.

Cheers
Timboon
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 01 Dec 2020, 4:23 pm

There are 3 simple ways of ensuring pics are small enough to post. I think the size limit is 750kb. Some forums have limits as low as 250kb.

1. Take the pic further away than usual, then crop it.

2. Take the pic as usual then text it to yourself and down load it. Will be about 400kb then.

3. Some cameras will have a setting to reduce the image size/quality. Have a look at the camera settings

Oops forgot. Some mobile have an app that does it.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by rossfrb » 01 Dec 2020, 8:54 pm

Of the slew of freeware image viewing software available on the net I have found Irfanview useful - it has an image save option that allows one to specify the saved image file size either via a slider (trial and error) or manually nominate a file size.
Attachments
irfanview save as.JPG
irfanview save as.JPG (44.67 KiB) Viewed 6718 times
rossfrb
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Timboon » 06 Dec 2020, 2:57 pm

Fellas I'm curious to know how often you 17 Hornet fellas are cleaning your rifle bore...

I've only just reached about 150 rounds through mine, I gave it a thorough clean about 25 rounds ago.

I understand that each gun will be somewhat different.

Yesterday I put about 15 through it post clean, My groups weren't anything flash but I had a few elements against me... Wind, Heat Haze, Bench wasn't rock solid & Rushed for time etc etc...

After 15 shots I ran the rod through a couple of times and the next group of 5 i shot was pretty good. However... That was with the ammo that so far seems to shoot better for me ( only had 5 shots of the winchester ammo left ) so I wasn't sure if it was coincidence that the group straight after a few dry patches was better than the previous or it was just simply that ammo does shoot better...

With time i'm sure i'll work out what is best for my rifle but I'm curious to know from fellas that have clocked up some miles with their 17 hornet what seems to work for them...

Cheers
Timboon
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by marksman » 06 Dec 2020, 8:01 pm

l can put 200 or so through before l am cleaning and really am only getting powder fouling with minimal copper out of both mine and my sons 17 ackley
they both have match grade barrels that the throat is polished when cleaned at 200 or so

my sons barrel has probably around 1500 shots through it now and mine has around 2500 shots to its name
they are both reloaded using IMR 4227, rem 7.5 primers 20gr zmax bullets and reformed PPU 22 hornet cases

the elements you had against you would have made for a difficult day shooting, sometimes barrels need a few shots to settle down before shooting their best, sometimes you will shoot better after a few shots when you settle down :lol:
and sometimes it takes quite a few shots through a new factory barrel before it will show its best shooting precision, this is what it sounds like what's happening to your rifle to me but you need to pick a brand and stay with it IMHO, if you want to try something else clean the bore then stick with that till you dont want to anymore

the stories about 17's being foulers are from old factory barrels that were not made very well, the newer factory barrels are a much better grade
my last 17 ackley barrel was a douglas that is not a match grade barrel and l shot more than 10,000 shots out of it,
it was still shooting well when l had it rebarreled, the smith asked why l was doing it and my answer was l had a new barrel :unknown:

sounds like you are getting to like the little 17 ;)

here is a pic of a sighter group l did with my sons 17 last week, the first cold clean bore shot out and 4 shots in the group

“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Timboon » 06 Dec 2020, 11:38 pm

Thanks for the reply MM,

200 before a clean that is really interesting! Also interesting the group you posted with the cold bore shot being out of whack...

My rifle certainly feels as though its settling down now...

I need to get my portable bench set up a little better, that will help my groups forsure...

I'll continue to get more organised, reloading gear will come when I have the brass accumulated and hopefully that is another step to tack driving groups...
Timboon
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by marksman » 07 Dec 2020, 10:30 am

if you want small groups a steady rest is necessary

and just to show that target is consistent with how the rifle shoots here's another where l checked the zero from a while ago doing the same thing

marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Timboon » 07 Dec 2020, 10:21 pm

Can you give a little more info please MM,

Is that an uncleaned bore, first shot of the day going right?

Followed by 4 that grouped?

Like if you sat the gun down for an hour or so would the first shot be right again?

Or is that a clean bore, first shot right then grouping?
Timboon
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by marksman » 08 Dec 2020, 5:11 pm

its the first clean cold bore shot that fouls the bore
after that 1st shot the shots stay in the group till l clean again it doesn't matter if its a cold bore or if its had a couple down it
the rifle is used for hunting and usually you would be lucky to put 5 shots through at a time so the barrel is never hot
the barrel is a #4 contour (a magnum contour) so is heavy for caliber
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by rossfrb » 08 Dec 2020, 6:29 pm

Hornady brand 17 Hornet factory loaded ammo brass doesn't necessarily get a good rap as far as the quality of the brass (for subsequent reloading) goes.
I have read online forums that there can be primer pocket issues, 'terrible' brass....
Online reports are that the new brass for reloading is generally OK, although S&B seems to rate.
I find it hard to believe Hornady have one production line for new brass to be sold to reloaders and another for their factory loads.
I have come across some of the factory loaded 25gr HP stuff cheaper than I can get the brass.
So even if this stuff just shoots 'OK' then i reckon I'm ahead. If it shoots crap, well I still have the brass.
So for those that have tried with once fired Hornady brass from factory loads - what says you?
Have Hornady gotten their act together?
Regards
rb
rossfrb
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Timboon » 08 Dec 2020, 10:42 pm

Ok MM, now I got you...

Thanks for clarifying!

I was thinking if the first "cold" shot was always out it would make shooting a cats eyeballs out somewhat difficult.

Thanks for your info
Timboon
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Joshua.s » 21 Dec 2021, 11:11 pm

Took my new cz527 American out for a shot last week and managed this with hornandy superformance 20 grain. Orange dot is 1 inch and shot at 100m over the bonnet of the car. For a hunting rifle I don't think I need to change much at all
Attachments
Screenshot_20211222-000813_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20211222-000813_Gallery.jpg (260.5 KiB) Viewed 5760 times
Joshua.s
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by boingk » 22 Dec 2021, 1:22 am

Very nice mate. My Savage prints half MOA with American Eagle 20gn off a basic bag rest, very happy with it.

As with the others above, brass quality is highly variable. I've formed 22 Hornet PPU stuff and its good gear, only because I couldnt find much 17 Horn at a reasonable price and now have to tools to maintain my own stuff.
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by ratpaker » 03 Jan 2022, 2:21 pm

joshuas hornet at 100.jpg
joshuas hornet at 100.jpg (53.53 KiB) Viewed 5523 times
Took my sons savage model 25 out yesterday, at 100 meters using S&B 20 grain ammo it shoots pretty well.
This was in less than ideal conditions using a folding table and a bipod and rear bag.
Sight was a pard 008 night vision electronic scope used in day mode
ratpaker
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by brinny » 06 Jan 2022, 9:11 am

Timboon wrote:I mucked around trying to post picture of some groups but couldn't resize small enough this site would allow.

Cheers

Join up with Imgur to post your pics up here....i use it and works well....
A day without a hunt, is a day lost.....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 06 Jan 2022, 9:13 am

To resize pics you can just text them to yourself on the mobile. Then download and post. Works everytime
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 06 Jan 2022, 3:26 pm

brinny wrote:
Timboon wrote:I mucked around trying to post picture of some groups but couldn't resize small enough this site would allow.

Cheers

Are they pics or just links to pics hosted elsewhere?
The latter ruins forums when it fills threads with dead links.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 06 Jan 2022, 3:34 pm

What's the difference between the hornet and the fireball?
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by boingk » 06 Jan 2022, 6:10 pm

Communism_Is_Cancer wrote:What's the difference between the hornet and the fireball?

17 Hornet launches a 20gn projectile about 3600fps, 17 Rem Fireball sends a 20gn out at about 4000fps.

17 Hornet is a necked down 22 Hornet, 17 Fireball is a necked down 221 Fireball, which is itself a modified 222 Remington.

Then there's the 17 Remington which is based on the 223 case and sends a 20gn out about 4400fps.

17 Horn is most efficient, the 17 Rem Fireball is the point of rapidly diminishing returns, and the 17 Rem is just full send.
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 06 Jan 2022, 6:58 pm

boingk wrote:
Communism_Is_Cancer wrote:What's the difference between the hornet and the fireball?

17 Hornet launches a 20gn projectile about 3600fps, 17 Rem Fireball sends a 20gn out at about 4000fps.

17 Hornet is a necked down 22 Hornet, 17 Fireball is a necked down 221 Fireball, which is itself a modified 222 Remington.

Then there's the 17 Remington which is based on the 223 case and sends a 20gn out about 4400fps.

17 Horn is most efficient, the 17 Rem Fireball is the point of rapidly diminishing returns, and the 17 Rem is just full send.

Thank you. I don't know much about those calibres but boy are the fast.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by brinny » 06 Jan 2022, 8:03 pm

bladeracer wrote:
brinny wrote:

Cheers

Are they pics or just links to pics hosted elsewhere?
The latter ruins forums when it fills threads with dead links.

No...they are your pics.....upload your pics onto Imgur then can paste pics to forums such as this....
A day without a hunt, is a day lost.....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by stephen » 13 Jan 2022, 10:11 am

Lucky to purchase a CZ 527 17 hornet new thumbhole stock.fitted Boyds spike camp for left hander.going through the reloading/ tight groups reashem.reading / 17 forums etc.its hard to acquire components at the moment. Will press on slowly .
stephen
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Joshua.s » 14 Jan 2022, 9:50 pm

stephen wrote:Lucky to purchase a CZ 527 17 hornet new thumbhole stock.fitted Boyds spike camp for left hander.going through the reloading/ tight groups reashem.reading / 17 forums etc.its hard to acquire components at the moment. Will press on slowly .

I just picked up most of what I needed to reload at that big joint in qld
Joshua.s
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles