lever fever

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: lever fever

Post by bigrich » 13 Jun 2021, 7:27 pm

from what i've read/heard , there were old fellas at marlin that had been hand building them their whole lives . when remington took over they moved the factory and lost all these old fellas and their knowledge . remington actually had to get design/workshop drawings made cause none existed . the JM's were hand made with passed down knowledge .
my 1894 44 mag definately needed some hands on tweaks . luckily i'm a old school muscle car/hot rod guy who's prepared to give it a go with fabrication , hand finishing type stuff . the MR serials just need a little work ........the JM's had that done at the factory
i've owned 3 model 94 winnies, and although more complicated , they all fed floorless . if i could've scope mounted a winnie 92 i would have one over a marlin. but now i've put my mark on my marlin and got it working great i do like it :D
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 13 Jun 2021, 7:29 pm

did ya's know annie oakley used a slicked up marlin for her trick shot show with buffalo bill's wild west show
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by boingk » 13 Jun 2021, 9:50 pm

bigrich wrote:from what i've read/heard , there were old fellas at marlin that had been hand building them their whole lives .

And they were pissed. Many apparently abotaged the machinery they'd been operating for decades out-of-spec, or simply left no follow-on instructions for the new owners.

bigrich wrote:my 1894 44 mag definately needed some hands on tweaks . luckily i'm a old school muscle car/hot rod guy who's prepared to give it a go with fabrication , hand finishing type stuff . the MR serials just need a little work ........the JM's had that done at the factory

You betchya! Tweaking and fixing is all part of the game. My 1895 needed a bit of a grindstone to the bevelled end of a few screws to stop interference where not needed, other than that she's very nice to use.

bigrich wrote: if i could've scope mounted a winnie 92 i would have one over a marlin. but now i've put my mark on my marlin and got it working great i do like it :D

Hey rich... you know the Rossi / Citadel Levtac 1892 comes with a pic rail, right? Come oooon.... sure there'splenty more room in the safe for one more... ;)
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by LawrenceA » 13 Jun 2021, 10:39 pm

bigrich wrote:did ya's know annie oakley used a slicked up marlin for her trick shot show with buffalo bill's wild west show

Yes a Marlin 22 was one of her favorites.
One well placed shot is all it takes.
LawrenceA
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 14 Jun 2021, 5:50 am

Marlin owners forum is handy for info if anyone is needin info they can’t find here.... not sure why I’m postin this because all us marlin lever nutters would already be well aware of this
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 14 Jun 2021, 9:15 am

Blr243 wrote:Marlin owners forum is handy for info if anyone is needin info they can’t find here.... not sure why I’m postin this because all us marlin lever nutters would already be well aware of this

Maybe some don’t. Anyway, ya makin’ conversation :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by womble » 06 Jul 2021, 7:33 pm

I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by boingk » 06 Jul 2021, 8:25 pm

I do like the modular silencer on the end of that.

And if the 20mm launcher was changed out for a 12G I'd be cool with that, too.
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by in2anity » 06 Jul 2021, 9:33 pm

Is that a 40mm thrower is it? Looks like some kind of macvsog tool.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles