22-250 alternatives to my first choice?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

22-250 alternatives to my first choice?

Post by Paul » 04 Dec 2020, 7:14 am

Hi All,

Looking at the Tikka T3x Forest in 22-250. Already have a Tikka T3 lite in .308 and very happy with accuracy and overall feel and performance.

Alternative suggestions to the T3x in same price point ($1,800).

Optics suggestions at around $1,300. Looking for something with some power (up to 18-20 x 50 @ 30mm) to compensate for fading eyes.

Hope to hear from you.

Paul
Paul
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: 22-250 alternatives to my first choice?

Post by Bello » 04 Dec 2020, 9:48 am

Hi Paul
I know you are considering a 22-250, but have you looked at a 223.
The 223 is a little quieter, cheaper ammo, heaps of different shop loaded ammo,heaps of brass if you reload. Barrel will last longer if you use it a lot.
Having said that, the brand Tikka is a nice rifle, shoots well. Lots of variants in models.
just wondering.
good luck
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Ziege » 04 Dec 2020, 10:21 am

yeah get the 223, with ammo prices skyrocketing there is no point in getting in deep with a 250... in saying that, piss off out of my 223 ammo lol
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by cracker » 04 Dec 2020, 5:30 pm

.243? still a super fast round?
depends what your trying to do really...
go big 9.3x62 go the other way
cracker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Paul » 04 Dec 2020, 6:58 pm

Thanks Guys,

I have an older Parker Hale in 22-250 and have been hand loading for this since it was new in the '80s. So not really looking to move away from the caliber. All good points re the 223, but given I'm hand loading, ammo cost is not a consideration. Hand loading is like trying to grow the perfect pumpkin, lots of enjoyment in just trying to get it right. Plus the 22-250 is perhaps a bit more versatile than a 223. Perhaps the next rifle will be in 223 :-)

And cracker, looking to be dropping rabbits, foxes, roos and perhaps goats, the former hopefully out to 300m, the latter much close in.

Still taking suggestions on alternative makes of 22-250 though.

P
Paul
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Ziege » 04 Dec 2020, 7:04 pm

220 swift or 22 nosler go hard or go home
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by boingk » 04 Dec 2020, 8:02 pm

Hey mate, check out the Ruger American if you havent already. They come in a few variants and are good, accurate, well-priced rifles. I believe they offer a 22-250 in their 'Predator' lineup.

I've got a 308 'Compact' variant and also the 450 Bushmaster in the 'Ranch' variant. Both are great rifles, very accurate and adjustable two-stage triggers. They run about 5lb out of the box, I've set mine down to about 2.5lb which is my happy place for field work. Both hold under 1MOA and the 308 in a timed match will shoot a 4", five round group at 200m in under 15 seconds.

Downside? Synthetic stocks on the base model rifles can be a tad flimsy in the forestock and the machining for the bolt has a 'corderoy' feel about it when you run the action - I quite like it but its not to all tastes.

Honestly I reckon their up there in terms of bang-for-the-buck, and for me they just feel good to use as a field rifle so no arguments there.

Cheers - boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by animalpest » 04 Dec 2020, 8:17 pm

So what would I buy if it was me?
I have a 22/250 in Remington. Its great. But I also have a few Tikkas in different calibres and they are all brilliant. Smooth and all very accurate.
I have also tested plenty of pro roo shooters and those that have Tikkas are all super accurate.
So for me, its either Tikka or spend more money for a Sako. Hmm
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Ziege » 04 Dec 2020, 8:23 pm

Can't beat howa value for money, ruger a close second, once you get into the price range of a clitoris..... I mean tikka, there are literally dozens of options that are smooth, accurate and durable.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Bello » 05 Dec 2020, 3:31 pm

Hi Paul
I have a Sako finnlight 22-250.
I chose this as it was a light carry rifle, for when I want to reach out and touch something a little further out. I topped it with a Swarovski Z6i 5-30.
I have a penchant for Sako :)
Like you, I hand load for it. I have never bought loaded ammo for it.
I am using Sierra 55gr game king and Hornady 55gr V-Max. Both very accurate and do what I need.
Earlier I asked about if you may be interested in 223, because, it is my go to rifle. It cheaper to run, light, less noisy.
For me it has been my number one emphatic pest management tool :lol:
I do like all the other calibers I have :crazy: They have a place and purpose.
I have a mate who uses nothing but 22-250 for all his hunting. He loves that caliber.
Tikka make some lovely rifles, built well and quite accurate. I have also heard guys say they like Howa.
Try a few different brands at your local gun shop and see what feels comfortable in your shoulder.
all the best mate :drinks:
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Paul » 05 Dec 2020, 8:21 pm

Thanks for the follow up Bello.

Took the plunge and have on order the Tikka Forest, very happy with the decision. Maybe the 223 next time :-) Thanks for all those who gave some suggestions. I looked at the Howa, and a similar Ruger.

Thanks again.

Paul
Paul
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 05 Dec 2020, 8:46 pm

My Howa 250 with heavy barrel is so incredibly mild to shoot. After useing a 308 and 243 it feels like an air rifle ..I’m yet to take any game with it
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by marksman » 06 Dec 2020, 7:57 am

after having 22-250's and 222's l had a 22 dasher built, a hotrod 22-250 not for everyone

if talking factory chambers for only one 22 centerfire l would keep the 22-250 but that does not mean other rounds are no good
its just a personal choice l suppose, good luck with it :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles