Scope options for 22-250

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Scope options for 22-250

Post by Paul » 08 Dec 2020, 9:11 pm

Admin - Not sure if this [post belongs solely here, or in the Optics thread - let me know as I'm not sure about double posting as no doubt some folks only go to their favorite threads. Can happily delete one if required.

Some may have soon my posts on the 22-250 options. So I have a Tikka T3x Forest in 22-250 coming into the shop soon, so now my project is to check out scope options. Wanting to set up a quality rig that will be precise. Looking to shoot vermin - rabbits, fox, and[/u] permit roos. Maybe a goat or two.

My budget is prob up to $2,500 (though there are some options that sit around $1200-1300).

Some of my criteria are:

* enough magnification to shoot out to 300m (game and target)
* magnification to assist with my eyes getting older (20+ is fine)
* illuminated and simple (i.e not a ballistic type) reticle
* quality gear that will do the job through the whole range of powers.
* 30mm more light (??)
* turret style elevation and windage for easy dialing
* easy to adjust and 'feel' controls i.e. paralex, illum, magnification (not too stiff, not too loose)

Some options so far:

1. Zeiss Conquest V4 6-24 x 50 mm with Reticle 60 illuminated (basically a solid 3 post) [leading the pack at the mo]
2. Meopta Optica 6 4.5-27 x 50 4C illum reticle
3. Meopta Optica 6 3-18 x 50 4C illum reticle
4. Vixen 5-20 x 50mm illum plex reticle
5. unfortunately I cat really afford my preferred Leica - like I have on the .308 :-( - But Amplus 6 2.5-15 x 56i??
6. Leupold options

Also looking to perhaps/ maybe/ possibly use a PARD NV 007 with this set up. Do-able??

Keen to hear your insights form experiences with any of the above, or simply opinions for the 250 outfit.

Thanks in advance,

Paul
Paul
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Scope options for 22-250

Post by Bello » 09 Dec 2020, 10:37 am

Hi Paul
I have a Swarovski Z6i 5-30 on mine.
Very clear glass. lovely magnification.
There are the ballistic turret options that have different coloured bands on the turret that you can set for different distances.
You may be able to get a second hand one cheaper.
I also have other scope on other rifles, but this one has the higher magnification for when I go to the range, or shoot varmints a little further out.
good luck :thumbsup:
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Ziege » 10 Dec 2020, 12:34 am

3. Meopta Optica 6 3-18 x 50 4C illum reticle
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Ziege » 10 Dec 2020, 12:43 am

I use a 4-16x50 on my 270 and happily shoot out to 400m with that, and I have a 3-15x50 on my 223 and happily shoot out to 300m and even further a few times with them 20x zoom and all that is redundant for 300m, the focus will assist more with your eyesight than more zoom. out of what you have suggested I have gone with meopta due to it being closer to those two. that and meopta, in my experience with mates that have them, have nice clear glass and that and a good size objective and decent reticle matter more, the further you want to shoot out, depending on target, the less obtrusive you want the reticle to be as a general rule, some AO and other "tactical" reticles can cover as much as 7 moa at longer distances like 300-500m. this can mean a complete miss on animals like rabbits and foxes especially if shooting them in long grass/stubble at distances under a spotlight where you might only see an eye and ear or something of that sort.

my experience is that varminting requires clear glass and small crosshairs, the less s**t in your way the better.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by rossfrb » 10 Dec 2020, 9:19 am

I rate the Meopta Meostar 4-16x44 (~$1200 new). Great low light performance for a 44mm objective scope and very clear glass and built like a tank (not light). It's got an AO which puts off some people. Check if the zplex II reticle suits your preference for varmints.
rossfrb
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by JoshR77 » 10 Dec 2020, 2:01 pm

Why don`t you consider Vortex as an option?
If you can`t change the situation - change yor reaction.
JoshR77
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by Paul » 12 Dec 2020, 2:38 pm

JoshR77 wrote:Why don`t you consider Vortex as an option?

Any particular ones Josh? A shooting colleague once said his experience of them was not so good.

Paul
Paul
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by BigB1 » 27 Dec 2020, 6:19 pm

I went with a Swarovski Z3, 4-12 x 50 on a 243 which shoots flat like the 22-250. Was good for out to 500m after sighting in on my first day. Picked it up secondhand for $1K
BigB1
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by straightshooter » 28 Dec 2020, 7:50 am

My son just recently bought a Meopta 4.5-27 scope which I set up for him.
I was impressed with the general feel of the scope, the optical clarity and the repeatability of it's settings.
As you might gather I don't just slap the scope on the rifle and twiddle the knobs to get an approximate zero. I go through a process of finding the true mechanical center of the adjustments and then ensuring everything is set up true to the vertical plane. In that process you learn a lot about a scope.
The Meopta was perfect out of the box unlike some other brands.
Now personally, for a flat shooting rifle to be comfortably useful for general hunting, I would consider a German or Euro made high end fixed 6x42 to be about ideal especially with a sharp post reticle. Or possibly an 8x56 if mostly twilight or night shooting is contemplated.
I would be looking to minimise bulk and weight.
Hunting is kinda different to target shooting off a rest.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Paul » 28 Dec 2020, 3:31 pm

Thanks for all all the suggestions, thought provoking comments and opinions folks. Went with the Zeiss Conquest V4 6-24 x 50mm in #60 illum. reticle. I think it will do the trick :-)

Thanks again for all the help from the experience on this forum, much appreciated.

Paul
Paul
Private
Private

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles