.222 Accuracy

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

.222 Accuracy

Post by duncan61 » 14 Dec 2020, 3:16 pm

I am going to get back in to kangaroo culling and I went out the block to zero my .243.I found the noise and recoil a bit harsh and could not get it to group that well.Its a 22 inch steel barrel HOWA and it rusted badly in the safe a while ago.I thought the bore was O.K.Anyhoo I went back a week later with my .222 That I had had the scope off and on again and it was still spot on at 100m and shot a 20 cent piece group with 5 shots all on point.My question is why is the .222 so accurate.I was using 80g noslers partitions in the .243 and the cheapest 50g Remingtons PSP In the .222 and it still out shot the HOWA.The .222is a s/s 22 inch lightweigt ruger 77 and its had around 10,000 through it.I was extremely impressed as I had sort of retired the Ruger but once again its going to be my go to
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Re: .222 Accuracy

Post by bladeracer » 14 Dec 2020, 4:00 pm

duncan61 wrote:I am going to get back in to kangaroo culling and I went out the block to zero my .243.I found the noise and recoil a bit harsh and could not get it to group that well.Its a 22 inch steel barrel HOWA and it rusted badly in the safe a while ago.I thought the bore was O.K.Anyhoo I went back a week later with my .222 That I had had the scope off and on again and it was still spot on at 100m and shot a 20 cent piece group with 5 shots all on point.My question is why is the .222 so accurate.I was using 80g noslers partitions in the .243 and the cheapest 50g Remingtons PSP In the .222 and it still out shot the HOWA.The .222is a s/s 22 inch lightweigt ruger 77 and its had around 10,000 through it.I was extremely impressed as I had sort of retired the Ruger but once again its going to be my go to

I can't answer why, but I loved mine. It spoiled me into believing everything I bought afterwards would shoot just as well :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 14 Dec 2020, 4:21 pm

I googled it. They said mild recoil, designed to be accurate , and the mild nature of it having minimal barrel vibrations , and there was more, technical stuff
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 14 Dec 2020, 4:46 pm

222 IS just really good . i've posted about my 70 win xtr on here many times .when the barrel was real fresh it would make one hole for three shots at 100 , it's opened up a little and changed projectile choice , but won't ever sell it . 222 was designed as a target/ varmit round from scratch with the best design principles .
i've recently contemplated getting a 22-250 , but the 222 is quieter so everything doesn't get spooked and run off

from the way i see second hand 222's get snapped up online i think it's going through a resurgance in popularity . it just works :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 14 Dec 2020, 5:20 pm

I recently tried my 22250 on a dismal hunt and after shooting a 243 and 308 th 250 was like shooting nothing. I’m hoping to put it to good use end of this week in th bush when I Escape this awful rain sodden city
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 14 Dec 2020, 7:30 pm

Try something other than the Noslers in your .243. I do not have personal experience with the Partition, but a gun writer whose opinion I respect noted that the Partition had a tendency to be less accurate than other projectiles he used in his .223. He used it a lot, but considered it to be a good hunting option, rather than used for accuracy.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 14 Dec 2020, 7:34 pm

A partition is a very expensive roo load
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by animalpest » 14 Dec 2020, 8:23 pm

Partitions are not known for their great accuracy. But they are a great hunting bullet for deeper penetration.
For roo shooting they are a poor choice.

The triple duce has always been known for accuracy - mild recoil and pressure and ideal case size help.

Fine accuracy, cheap to run, mild on barrels and great for roo shooting out to maximum range you are allowed to shoot them at, the .222 has been a favourite for decades. Almost any bullet/load will get inch groups all day/night so it is simple to load for.

The .243 is better for windy nights but thats it.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by in2anity » 14 Dec 2020, 8:57 pm

It’s just the nature of the beast - all of those fast 22cal cartridges around that weight region seem as equally easy to get to shoot well, at short/moderate distances. Yes I know the technical history of the deuce, but the 223 is basically the same. Same with the 204. They all bughole at 100m, even out of light sporters. The time of flight is just so (comparatively) low out to 100-150m, the wind hasn’t got a chance to screw with the trajectory much.

It truly does start to punish you out to medium distances though, with a fishy, swirly wind. Scores reflect this. 308s and similar will clearly trump at medium under tough winds. I learned that the hard way. With a nasty head or tail, or beyond 400m you’d be crazy to pick a 22cal over a bigger boy, like a 243.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 14 Dec 2020, 10:07 pm

I love my 222 i have a 223 and for what its worth I couldn't miss with that one if I tried. There's something special with the 222 that I just can't work out why i pick it up first. I shot my first deer with the my 222 with having both a 308,243,22-250ai I still picked up the humble 222.

The 222 doesnt have the same crack that the 223 has in my opinion it doesn't spook everything. It just seems that when ever im under the pump and the shot counts the 222 always does the job.

The easiest round to reload for i loaded up a few diffrent charges for a 50g proj and my worst group was .7 of a inch @ 100.

The 222 is the scalpel in the safe that always gets the job done. And despite the limited options for ammo and brass at most shops It still is a calibre that i recommend everyone should own at least one rifle in.
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by boingk » 14 Dec 2020, 10:22 pm

Accuracy from a Ruger? Standard, in my experience.

I've used much more expensive rifles that havent shot (or lasted) as well, and none cheaper.

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by Skinna » 14 Dec 2020, 10:50 pm

bigrich wrote:222 IS just really good . i've posted about my 70 win xtr on here many times .when the barrel was real fresh it would make one hole for three shots at 100 , it's opened up a little and changed projectile choice , but won't ever sell it . 222 was designed as a target/ varmit round from scratch with the best design principles .
i've recently contemplated getting a 22-250 , but the 222 is quieter so everything doesn't get spooked and run off

from the way i see second hand 222's get snapped up online i think it's going through a resurgance in popularity . it just works :thumbsup:

There you go mentioning that 22-250 again Rich... :D

Its taken its time...
You know you want one...!
Id have bet a year or 2 ago that you'd have had one by now...!!..(good thing i didnt)
But i know you'll get one...!!!
I also know that when you get one, you'll love it...!!
Get out on them long range bunnies with one & youll never come back... :lol: Out at longer ranges the noise is negligent anyway...& as for spooking Roo's, unless youre shooting them in areas where there is no pressure on them, it wont make any big difference anyway...
What im saying, is if they hopping away after the first or second shot with a 222, it'll be much the same with a 22-250...but better 222 if a little wind is about...& you like your heavy 22Cal bullets so it'll also do your goat trips too... :thumbsup:

BUT...!!...with the extra speed the bullet travels you'll be able to get more shots away & make up for the noise... :lol:

You'll also love it on the Roo's as well if you still hit them occasionally...you'll really love the better performance & lack of holdover you need at longer range with one on the Roo's.
And think of the extra life you'll also get out of the 22 when you get a 250... :D :thumbsup:

AND...do you remember the barrel whip picture i posted of the 22-250 couple years ago...??... :lol: ...yes thats right...let me know when you're nearly ready to make a move on one & ill post the picture up again to seal the deal for you... :thumbsup: .... :lol: :lol:

Sorry to digress... :)
:drinks:
Skinna
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by animalpest » 14 Dec 2020, 11:40 pm

Sure the 22/250 and .243 etc have a flatter trajectory at longer ranges than the .222. But maximum range for shooting roos is 200m.

Yeah, I used ..204, 222,.223, 22/250, .243 and 25/06 on roos and they are great. Noisy, but great.

But to 200m, and lets face it, most roos are shot well under that distance, the .222 is still my favourite, especially in my old Sako Vixen
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 15 Dec 2020, 12:07 am

I had Noslers as one of my crew purchased a box a while back
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Blr243 » 15 Dec 2020, 2:52 pm

None of my business really but am just curious , what makes you want to return to roo shooting ?
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by duncan61 » 15 Dec 2020, 6:57 pm

I did some work for a pet meat factory and the owner was interested in getting roo meat.He currently gets 5 tonne delivered from Albany a week.His business is mincing and on selling it in 900 gm bags.He runs out of roo meat in a few days and could do with more.If I can put everything in place and get help I could do O.K. out of it.I have already worked out that I can get 10 foam boxes in my trailer which work out around 35 kg each full up.The deal would be go down to the area I cull which is just over an hour from Perth and do a late afternoon ambush then shoot in to the evening.I would butt out the roos leave the skin on and hang them.I have a coolbox with hooks that fits my trailer.First light bone out the buts and have it at the factory by 7 am in the foam boxes.I have a heap of chiller packs that are frozen to put in the boxes so the meat is cooling the whole time.It will be a lot of work and I will blow a day getting ready the next day delivering and possibly the next day recovering.I have done carcasses for years human and pet food and was getting 80c /kg.The boneless meat is paying $5/kg so a good size buck has gone from $40-$50 to $130-$140 and a lot easy to transport.All the byproduct can be buried on site and all I have to do when I get home is hose out the Trailer/coolerbox and sanitize the cooler packs and put them back in the freezer.
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by animalpest » 15 Dec 2020, 8:37 pm

So is he paying YOU $5 per kg or thats what he gets? I pay that much for roo meat to a pretty even size pieces of 100 gm each so I cant see him paying you that much.
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 15 Dec 2020, 8:47 pm

Yes the price offered is $5/kg.It is minced and on sold for $8.95/900gm and he runs out all the time.I have a reg 6 and a damage 5 for the properties in the area I am going to work and have been taking roos for over 20 years.I have a lot to put in place and would look at doing it once every 3 weeks.As a west aussie you know all the regs with the government.Do you know what CALM are called now.They seem to change their title every few years
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Blr243 » 15 Dec 2020, 9:37 pm

I suppose as long as you do all your sums first might as well give it a lash. Anything is better than sitting in the city watching telly
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by animalpest » 15 Dec 2020, 9:48 pm

DBCA.
Department of Biodiversity Conservation and Attractions.
Did you know you now have to do your accuracy test after 5 years?
Yeah, know all the rules very well.
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 16 Dec 2020, 12:34 am

Thank you.They are still in the same building.I have been there many times.Blr243.I am a plumbing contractor whats this watching T.V. stuff.LoL
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Blr243 » 16 Dec 2020, 12:31 pm

Good to hear you are a plumbing contractor. I’m a carpenter. I may harass you for some plumbing advice occasionally if u don’t mind
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 16 Dec 2020, 3:53 pm

Skinna wrote:
bigrich wrote:222 IS just really good . i've posted about my 70 win xtr on here many times .when the barrel was real fresh it would make one hole for three shots at 100 , it's opened up a little and changed projectile choice , but won't ever sell it . 222 was designed as a target/ varmit round from scratch with the best design principles .

There you go mentioning that 22-250 again Rich... :D

Its taken its time...
You know you want one...!
Id have bet a year or 2 ago that you'd have had one by now...!!..(good thing i didnt)
But i know you'll get one...!!!
I also know that when you get one, you'll love it...!!
Get out on them long range bunnies with one & youll never come back... :lol: Out at longer ranges the noise is negligent anyway...& as for spooking Roo's, unless youre shooting them in areas where there is no pressure on them, it wont make any big difference anyway...
What im saying, is if they hopping away after the first or second shot with a 222, it'll be much the same with a 22-250...but better 222 if a little wind is about...& you like your heavy 22Cal bullets so it'll also do your goat trips too... :thumbsup:

BUT...!!...with the extra speed the bullet travels you'll be able to get more shots away & make up for the noise... :lol:

You'll also love it on the Roo's as well if you still hit them occasionally...you'll really love the better performance & lack of holdover you need at longer range with one on the Roo's.
And think of the extra life you'll also get out of the 22 when you get a 250... :D :thumbsup:

AND...do you remember the barrel whip picture i posted of the 22-250 couple years ago...??... :lol: ...yes thats right...let me know when you're nearly ready to make a move on one & ill post the picture up again to seal the deal for you... :thumbsup: .... :lol: :lol:

Sorry to digress... :)
:drinks:

good on ya mate, i already got toys i don't get a chance to use :roll: trusty 222 winnie is more than good enough . however , i do have a martini cadet in the build. in 22 hornet...... ;)
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 16 Dec 2020, 3:59 pm

animalpest wrote:Sure the 22/250 and .243 etc have a flatter trajectory at longer ranges than the .222. But maximum range for shooting roos is 200m.

Yeah, I used ..204, 222,.223, 22/250, .243 and 25/06 on roos and they are great. Noisy, but great.

But to 200m, and lets face it, most roos are shot well under that distance, the .222 is still my favourite, especially in my old Sako Vixen

i've lusted after a sako , but can't justify it considering how well my winchester shoots . those bigger calibers buck the wind and go further, i hate to think how much powder a 25-06 is burning compared to the triple deuce . don't get me wrong , i think the 25-06 is a great caliber , just not as cheap to run :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 16 Dec 2020, 5:19 pm

I had a thing for getting a 2506 for awhile until I saw the cost of the cases
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 16 Dec 2020, 8:46 pm

Blr243 wrote:I had a thing for getting a 2506 for awhile until I saw the cost of the cases

from the ballistic figures i've seen , it is a great flat shooting cartrige . for me , when i choose a caliber (as opposed to choosing the rifle ) , i ask myself "what am i going to use it for " and go into all sorts of rational mental arguments with myself to justify a new toy :lol:

sometimes "just because " is good enough but :lol:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bluehorse » 17 Dec 2020, 11:41 am

Hmm 222 will never be a rifle that can compete with 243 in my humble opinion . You must be very rich to use that load for roos ,in 243 , Go back to your 243and clean it up and try 55or 60 gn speer (they are cheapest ) I think and 243 shoots fairly flat using these . I used years ago and everybody said 55 in 243 , The bulet will blow up it hits a blade of grass . Using du pont powder it was a lethal out fit . and ittravels around 3500 at suggested loads , Tune your 243 up a little and leave your 222 for closer shots ,.. I have 243 now and a couple of 22 250 and the 243 will take some beating . as far as range and being least finicky . 70 75 in speer hollowpoints sirra ,hornady all handy but heavier then they are not quite as flat ,. and in my opinion for what it is worth the lighter bullets were much flatter . and hit harder . and more economical to reload . . And if u get a few dove shots they are a little bonus . To be honest a few rifles to use is the ideal because if u have a big night 1 rifle has to be rested because they heat up .and need cooling time , AND in conclusion judging distances in the light is difficult , when u get out to 300 metres where will the 222 be shooting and wind will play merry hell too . My point is judging the distance is difficult if u have to estimate how far 222 can reach . 243 with 55 or 60 will round it up . . I still use pecar 6x on mine .. Yes they are noisy like advertising in the loacal paper but put the ear muffs on . You need ear muffs no matter what u shoot if u r letting off plenty of rounds every night .
bluehorse
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by bigrich » 17 Dec 2020, 12:21 pm

222 our to 200 yards or a little bit past that is my personal limit on the caliber. I’ve held back on getting a 22-250 because of the influence of wind on it, a 243 would definitely be better waaay out. I’m happy to work within the limits of my trusty 222, it’s mild on the ears and the pocket, considering how often I get a chance to poke around the paddock, it suits me
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by animalpest » 17 Dec 2020, 4:16 pm

No one should be shooting roos at 300m
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Blr243 » 17 Dec 2020, 5:03 pm

I’m all for rules that encourage humane killing in the field , eg it’s easy to look up the roo rules.... why is there little, or limited rules/ guidelines for everything else.?
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles