buy a new sako 85 ?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: buy a new sako 85 ?

Post by bigrich » 11 Apr 2021, 2:04 pm

i pose another question , what do people like and why :unknown: blued/walnut , stainless /walnut , stainless laminate :huh:

anybody got a pic of sako grey laminate stock they can post ?
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 11 Apr 2021, 3:31 pm

Use the sako you have. Rifles are made to kill animals. Not become safe queens.
Sheesh
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Larry » 11 Apr 2021, 4:44 pm

I have a sako 85 in a 243 to be honest at first sight I was a little disappointed. I was expecting a nicer piece of wood. It shoots and handles great so in the end I am more than pleased with it.
So bigrich before you buy I think it is important to really have a good think about what you want in the gun as for the price of them there are lot of other options as you have already pointed out. Off the shelf is great if you want no fuss however if you are prepared to do a bit of work and buy individual parts a really excellent gun can be made that would surpass the Sako in every way. It can take some time though I have just waited a year on getting a new barrel Covid contributed to that though normal time is 3 to six month. Stocks can be purchased unfinished in really high grade wood and they are not that hard to finish up to a very nice finish and there are better custom actions available.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by bigrich » 11 Apr 2021, 5:16 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Use the sako you have. Rifles are made to kill animals. Not become safe queens.
Sheesh

i've used my rifles to zap a few critters OB , don't you worry :) but this is also a passion/hobby/collector thing for me also .that's the whole reason for going with a "modern" sako stainless laminate as oppossed to doing up a old L61 . the stainless/laminate is a all weather rifle that i don't have to play with ,develop a load and just use it .i got enough "collector" pieces already :P i might bed it and tweak the trigger a little but..... :lol:

i understand the simplicity of what your saying OB, a $400 milsurp will kill stuff just as dead . but it's not as much fun or interesting as what i'm doing i've got resonable finances to play with all this stuff , so why not ?:thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 11 Apr 2021, 5:20 pm

Larry wrote:I have a sako 85 in a 243 to be honest at first sight I was a little disappointed. I was expecting a nicer piece of wood. It shoots and handles great so in the end I am more than pleased with it.
So bigrich before you buy I think it is important to really have a good think about what you want in the gun as for the price of them there are lot of other options as you have already pointed out. Off the shelf is great if you want no fuss however if you are prepared to do a bit of work and buy individual parts a really excellent gun can be made that would surpass the Sako in every way. It can take some time though I have just waited a year on getting a new barrel Covid contributed to that though normal time is 3 to six month. Stocks can be purchased unfinished in really high grade wood and they are not that hard to finish up to a very nice finish and there are better custom actions available.

i've already done a few rebarrels and done a bit of custom work to some of my rifles larry . a off the shelf all weather rifle with no fuss is appealing now but mate :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 11 Apr 2021, 5:23 pm

"i've got resonable finances to play with all this stuff , so why not "

Ahsoo, your a millionaire?

Ahsoo.jpg
Ahsoo.jpg (12.13 KiB) Viewed 3480 times

Just joking

I understand the collecting thing. The old or unusual, etc. But don't really see the point of buying what is a nice modern day hunting rifle and make it a safe queen because it might get scratched. But if that's your thing, good luck. I don't have that luxury or the $ to do that. All mine get used, not enough but get used.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 11 Apr 2021, 5:51 pm

Oldbloke wrote:"i've got resonable finances to play with all this stuff , so why not "

Ahsoo.jpg

Just joking

I understand the collecting thing. The old or unusual, etc. But don't really see the point of buying what is a nice modern day hunting rifle and make it a safe queen because it might get scratched. But if that's your thing, good luck. I don't have that luxury or the $ to do that. All mine get used, not enough but get used.

no millionaire mate , just worked hard when i was young and lived modestly . now i'm older and debt free i can spend a little on what i couldn't afford when i was young .
the whole point of buying the new stainless laminate is to use it . in all weather . it's not gunna be a safe queen OB . that way i can leave the old and unusual at home where it's warm and dry and safe ..... :lol:

:thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 11 Apr 2021, 5:55 pm

bigrich wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:"i've got resonable finances to play with all this stuff , so why not "

Ahsoo.jpg

Just joking

no millionaire mate , just worked hard when i was young and lived modestly . now i'm older and debt free i can spend a little on what i couldn't afford when i was young .
the whole point of buying the new stainless laminate is to use it . in all weather . it's not gunna be a safe queen OB . that way i can leave the old and unusual at home where it's warm and dry and safe ..... :lol:

:thumbsup:

No, But the other Sako will be.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Larry » 11 Apr 2021, 5:59 pm

I really dont like most of the laminate stocks that are sold. The ones that have a black layer in them. I found out when I was bedding one that the black layer is a charred burnt wood. If I had to go a laminate it would be a normal industrial grade laminate. There are a few people that make stocks out of that material but most of the comercial ones use the dyed and burnt type. There is no strength in the burnt layer which defeat the whole purpose of using a laminate.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by bigrich » 11 Apr 2021, 6:00 pm

the other sako is going , i'm doing a "like for like" deal with my local GS to get rid of the "classic" for the new stainless laminate

the L61 will be on ozgunsales in a week or two through browns plains firearms . it's got a lovely trigger, is real slick, and has nice wood grain :D
you should buy it OB ..... :lol:

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 11 Apr 2021, 6:03 pm

Larry wrote:I really dont like most of the laminate stocks that are sold. The ones that have a black layer in them. I found out when I was bedding one that the black layer is a charred burnt wood. If I had to go a laminate it would be a normal industrial grade laminate. There are a few people that make stocks out of that material but most of the comercial ones use the dyed and burnt type. There is no strength in the burnt layer which defeat the whole purpose of using a laminate.

information like this larry , is the reason i started this post :thumbsup:

i haven't heard of any issues with the sako laminate stocks , but maybe a walnut stainless would be a better option ?
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 11 Apr 2021, 7:06 pm

How about a stainless/ synthetic? When I used to get home from a hunt and if the stock was at all dirty, I would take it off and wash it.

p.s. those Territory swamps can be a bit sticky.....................if you slip :roll:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 11 Apr 2021, 7:18 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:How about a stainless/ synthetic? When I used to get home from a hunt and if the stock was at all dirty, I would take it off and wash it.

p.s. those Territory swamps can be a bit sticky.....................if you slip :roll:

i had considered a synthetic stock , just not me . i understand the benefiets .laminate will do . but has anyone heard of issues with laminate stocks :unknown:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 11 Apr 2021, 7:34 pm

If I were just going to look at a rifle it would be walnut and blued But because all mine are just tools that are going to get marked and I’m slack , I go for stainless and synthetic, or stainless and Laminate . If a natural timber stock had plenty of clearance around the barrell and would never touch it I would b fine with a timber stock that swelled and warped a bit .......New Zealand your rifle is constantly wet
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 11 Apr 2021, 7:57 pm

Blr243 wrote:If I were just going to look at a rifle it would be walnut and blued But because all mine are just tools that are going to get marked and I’m slack , I go for stainless and synthetic, or stainless and Laminate . If a natural timber stock had plenty of clearance around the barrell and would never touch it I would b fine with a timber stock that swelled and warped a bit .......New Zealand your rifle is constantly wet

i've got a mate who spent time in NZ , he reckons timber stocks aren't that popular cause of the weather . stainless and laminate are easier to care for (or not care for :D ), in southern queensland timber/ blued work fine most of the time . :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 11 Apr 2021, 8:49 pm

First time I went to n z I fell over a hundred times on the first day , Mud, wet slippery moss covered rocks, partially concealed by loose vegetation and snow , never knowing when u would hit a big hole , I wrapped Eva foam around my scope to save it from getting smacked into rocks
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 11 Apr 2021, 9:25 pm

When plastic stocks were first marketed it was their ability to take knocks and resistance to moisture. Cost more than walnut. Cheap as chips now.

I reckon the manufacturing cost of a plastic stock would be about $5 once tooled up
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by brinny » 11 Apr 2021, 11:14 pm

Im running several Sako 85s....204,223, 22-250 and 308....
I took the laminate stock off the 204 and put a GRS stock on it with a cheek riser because of the height of the thermal i have on it....combined weight of the rifle is around 5.2KG...but it is a varmint barrel as well....
The 223 has a walnut stock,..its a stainless varmint as well.... the 22-250 is a Finnlight 2 synthetic in stainless and the 308 is also a Finnlight synthetic stainless.....
walnut, laminate or synthetic....cant go past them....
My 308 Finnlight is light, easy to carry in the bush, and a fantastic rifle to use.....knocked over a lot of sambar and dogs with it.....
A day without a hunt, is a day lost.....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bah! » 13 Apr 2021, 10:40 pm

Larry wrote:I really dont like most of the laminate stocks that are sold. The ones that have a black layer in them. I found out when I was bedding one that the black layer is a charred burnt wood. If I had to go a laminate it would be a normal industrial grade laminate. There are a few people that make stocks out of that material but most of the comercial ones use the dyed and burnt type. There is no strength in the burnt layer which defeat the whole purpose of using a laminate.

What are you talking about when you say dried and burnt wood? Do you mean how alternate layers of the laminate looks darker, then the other not?
bah!
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Larry » 13 Apr 2021, 11:26 pm

Yes that darker layer is charred and just falls apart really easily when scratched with any tool. The other layers which are normally dyed are what i would call full strength wood.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by bigrich » 14 Apr 2021, 4:40 am

Has anyone heard of issues with laminate stocks though ?
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 14 Apr 2021, 6:26 am

bigrich wrote:Has anyone heard of issues with laminate stocks though ?

Didnt grandadbushy have issues with a sako?

Here, there was a couple of threads on it. I think it was a plastic stock issue.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9963
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 14 Apr 2021, 9:13 am

Thanks for the link OB . I didn’t realise GDB had been deleted. That explains why I haven’t heard from him in a while. From the thread the only reference I found to the laminate is that some of the clear coat lifted on on his stocks . Bad batch maybe ?
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bah! » 14 Apr 2021, 9:40 am

Larry wrote:Yes that darker layer is charred and just falls apart really easily when scratched with any tool. The other layers which are normally dyed are what i would call full strength wood.

Yeah/na, the other layer is just the veneer in the opposite direction, so the grain is shorter and it takes up dye differently. They don't put burnt wood into plywood.
bah!
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 14 Apr 2021, 11:14 am

bigrich wrote:Thanks for the link OB . I didn’t realise GDB had been deleted. That explains why I haven’t heard from him in a while. From the thread the only reference I found to the laminate is that some of the clear coat lifted on on his stocks . Bad batch maybe ?

I think he deleted himself, not mods.

He also had accuracy issues because of excessive flex in the stock. Also couldn't get a replacement stock because of the model he bought. Importer would not cover under warranty too I think. Keep searching. There are 2 or 3 threads.
He lives in QLD
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 14 Apr 2021, 12:27 pm

Thanks OB :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bah! » 14 Apr 2021, 3:45 pm

Larry wrote:Yes that darker layer is charred and just falls apart really easily when scratched with any tool. The other layers which are normally dyed are what i would call full strength wood.

I'm just going to have to call it. If you can find any evidence that it is charred I'll apologise but it is bulls**t. Laminate is just plywood and they don't make ply from burnt wood. I have no idea why you think that but look at the following link and tell me which layers are burnt?

https://gundigest.com/gear-ammo/accesso ... ate-stocks
bah!
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Larry » 14 Apr 2021, 3:51 pm

I found it to be charred from personal experience. I was making modifications to a boyeds stock. I had to expand the magwell to take a new bottom metal to take an AICS mag. I was using a few different tools like a dremel and then chisels it was very obvious that the wood was burnt that layer fell apart very easily. I stand by my remarks and observations first hand experience.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by bigrich » 14 Apr 2021, 6:34 pm

Larry wrote:I found it to be charred from personal experience. I was making modifications to a boyeds stock. I had to expand the magwell to take a new bottom metal to take an AICS mag. I was using a few different tools like a dremel and then chisels it was very obvious that the wood was burnt that layer fell apart very easily. I stand by my remarks and observations first hand experience.

i've heard some bad things about boyd laminate myself . hopefully the stock on my new sako, (counting the days till it turns up :D ) will be much better . i really did consider walnut , but i've already got enough pretty shootin' sticks :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by brinny » 14 Apr 2021, 7:01 pm

[quote="Oldbloke"][quote="bigrich"]

I think he deleted himself, not mods.

How do you delete yourself mate...??
A day without a hunt, is a day lost.....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Centerfire rifles