Sauer S100 vs Tikka T3x

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Sauer S100 vs Tikka T3x

Post by Morningblue7 » 07 Jan 2021, 10:51 am

Hi all,
new shooter here. I bought 22 Brno about 4 months ago and I've been to the range a handful of times where I thoroughly enjoyed my time. I am now, in the fortunate situation where I am looking to get my first centerfire rifle. It's intended use will be mainly for varminting but I have mates that also go deer hunting and so I thought a 243 will cover both bases (at least in NSW where we don't have caliber restrictions for deer). So after some research I have narrowed it down to the Sauer S100 and Tikka T3x.

What I like about the Sauer over the Tikka is that it is about 300 dollars less than the Tikka on average in most places, it can be top loaded, and has 10 year warrantee.

The Tikka on the other hand has been on the market for a longer time and so it has a more established reputation, even though most reviews I've read about the Sauer give it high praises as well. Also in the timber configuration I'm after, the tikka has a walnut stock while the sauer has beechwood stock.

I was wondering if anyone has experiences with both rifles or if they are aware of other details that would make them favour one rifle over the other
Cheers, Bill.
Morningblue7
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Sauer S100 vs Tikka T3x

Post by bigrich » 07 Jan 2021, 11:04 am

i owned a sauer xt100 in 223 . good build qaulity , trigger adjusted up well . i got rid of it due to very average accuracy though. even handloaded it struggled to get under one inch at 100 and feeding was a bit funny at times . all this just served to reinforce my beleif that 222 is inherently more accurate :P . until i got a weatherby vangaurd 223. but they are heavy in relation to the tikka and sauer . the accuracy issue may have only been this particular sauer rifle of mine , but as a rule tikka t3's shoot better out of the box and feed flawlessly . i've known fellas who own them and they do impress :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 07 Jan 2021, 11:33 am

Mate I have a Tikka T3X and I’d buy another tomorrow. Accurate straight from the box.
I don’t know too much about the Sauer mate however From memory there was a member of this forum who had one that he was not entirely satisfied with.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 07 Jan 2021, 11:37 am

Mate in addition, I used to prefer top load however I find a magazine far more practical when you are in and out of vehicles, camp etc and you are unloading. In saying that I can see the advantage of top load too. I own both.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Morningblue7 » 07 Jan 2021, 12:04 pm

bigrich wrote:i owned a sauer xt100 in 223 . good build qaulity , trigger adjusted up well . i got rid of it due to very average accuracy though. even handloaded it struggled to get under one inch at 100 and feeding was a bit funny at times . all this just served to reinforce my beleif that 222 is inherently more accurate :P . until i got a weatherby vangaurd 223. but they are heavy in relation to the tikka and sauer . the accuracy issue may have only been this particular sauer rifle of mine , but as a rule tikka t3's shoot better out of the box and feed flawlessly . i've known fellas who own them and they do impress :thumbsup:

Thanks a lot for the advice bigrich, I have heard nothing but high praises for the Tikka so far. I was just wondering since the sauer comes with a sub-MOA guarantee which you were struggling to get, how come and you didn't return it? Is it more complicated than just returning the rifle from what they make it to be?
Morningblue7
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Morningblue7 » 07 Jan 2021, 12:07 pm

JimTom wrote:Mate in addition, I used to prefer top load however I find a magazine far more practical when you are in and out of vehicles, camp etc and you are unloading. In saying that I can see the advantage of top load too. I own both.

The sauer has a 5 shot magazine but it can also be top-loaded, like a sako. This is why I thought this was an advantage over the Tikka. But so far everyone seems to be favouring the Tikka so I'll se how I go. I'm planning to go my local dealer tomorrow and have a feel of both of them on my shoulder. Perhaps this will also help with the decision.
Morningblue7
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Peter988 » 07 Jan 2021, 1:23 pm

I have the Sauer in 223. I also had to decide between Sauer and Tikka. Went with the Sauer for the 5 shot mag. Didn’t read the small print - the 223 is 4 shot mag. Nevertheless, extremely happy with the rifle. Shot MOA with factory loads and improved groups with reloads.

Couple mates I hunt with have Tikkas. We agree that there isn’t a bees dick difference in accuracy. I borrowed one of the Tikkas a while back. It easily shot MOA with factory loads also. You can’t go wrong with either. Handle them in the shop and go with the one that fits best.
Peter988
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 07 Jan 2021, 1:34 pm

Morningblue7 wrote:
JimTom wrote:Mate in addition, I used to prefer top load however I find a magazine far more practical when you are in and out of vehicles, camp etc and you are unloading. In saying that I can see the advantage of top load too. I own both.

The sauer has a 5 shot magazine but it can also be top-loaded, like a sako. This is why I thought this was an advantage over the Tikka. But so far everyone seems to be favouring the Tikka so I'll se how I go. I'm planning to go my local dealer tomorrow and have a feel of both of them on my shoulder. Perhaps this will also help with the decision.

Agree mate, the Sako A7 mag which is removable and capable of top load is the best of both worlds.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 07 Jan 2021, 3:00 pm

I have the sauer in 243. It’s sub moa. Perfect trigger .... I really like the big three position safety lever so much more easy to operate than the howa lever. While walking in the dark with the rifle shouldered I can easily reach around and feel it’s in the correct fully safe position without actually seeing it ...I’m very confident with this rifle that it will always hit and cleanly drop what I point it at in the field. It don’t ever fail me. I don’t have experience with tikka. I think some or all of the sauers barrels are pressed on rather than screwed in ( think barrel replacement down the track )
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 07 Jan 2021, 3:02 pm

Whichever rifle u choose , sauer or tikka ....it’s going to be very nice
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 07 Jan 2021, 3:10 pm

Blr243 wrote:I have the sauer in 243. It’s sub moa. Perfect trigger .... I really like the big three position safety lever so much more easy to operate than the howa lever. While walking in the dark with the rifle shouldered I can easily reach around and feel it’s in the correct fully safe position without actually seeing it ...I’m very confident with this rifle that it will always hit and cleanly drop what I point it at in the field. It don’t ever fail me. I don’t have experience with tikka. I think some or all of the sauers barrels are pressed on rather than screwed in ( think barrel replacement down the track )

if i remember correctly the sauer xt series have screwed barrels cos the american market didn't like pressed barrels :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Morningblue7 » 12 Jan 2021, 2:12 pm

Hi all, I thought I would give you an update. I went down to my LGS today and had a feel of the Tikka, the Sauer and a Lithgow 102 that someone traded in for a Sako. The Lithgow was definitely heavier than the other two and I don't think it would be an ideal choice for my kind of hunting. I can't say that either the Sauer or the Tikka felt noticeably nicer than each other when I shouldered the guns but the Tikka felt slightly lighter. However, the Sauer was about 300 dollars dearer in the timber configuration than the Tikka and so I took the plunge and put a deposit for one. I am going to have to wait a bit since they didn't have a 243 in stock but they have ordered some and I'll need to also get my PTA. I'll give more updates on how it shoots when I actually get it. Thank you all for the advice :thumbsup:
Morningblue7
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 12 Jan 2021, 7:00 pm

Morningblue7 wrote:Hi all, I thought I would give you an update. I went down to my LGS today and had a feel of the Tikka, the Sauer and a Lithgow 102 that someone traded in for a Sako. The Lithgow was definitely heavier than the other two and I don't think it would be an ideal choice for my kind of hunting. I can't say that either the Sauer or the Tikka felt noticeably nicer than each other when I shouldered the guns but the Tikka felt slightly lighter. However, the Sauer was about 300 dollars dearer in the timber configuration than the Tikka and so I took the plunge and put a deposit for one. I am going to have to wait a bit since they didn't have a 243 in stock but they have ordered some and I'll need to also get my PTA. I'll give more updates on how it shoots when I actually get it. Thank you all for the advice :thumbsup:

no worries and congrats on your purchase of a new toy . by all means give everyone a report on your tikka . it keeps the manfacturers honest :D

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Morningblue7 » 11 Feb 2021, 2:32 pm

Hi all, there was a turn of events and I ended up with the Sauer. The LGS was supposed to order a Tikka in 243 with timber, but somehow they ordered one in the plastic stock. When I explained to them what had happened they were quite apologetic and ended up giving me the Sauer in the same price as the Tikka ( even though the sauer was a couple a hundred dollars more in the shop) and threw a free magazine in as well, so no complaints.

I am planning to take it to Silverdale to stretch its legs a bit as my local range in St.Marys only goes to 50 meters.

I was wondering those with a Sauer what preferences do their rifles have with ammo? I got some Buffalo river 87 v-max, Federal 80 powershok and some PPU 90 grain to see what the rifle likes.

Cheers.
Morningblue7
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 11 Feb 2021, 3:20 pm

My sauer 243 likes buff riv more than the ppu.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by novice » 28 Mar 2021, 8:30 am

So did you end up with the beechwood stock?
If so, is it free floating evenly along the barrel?
novice
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles