have moved to NSW

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

have moved to NSW

Post by andreweden » 11 Jan 2021, 3:10 pm

Hi there all,
I've just moved from QLD to NSW and am currently jumping through all the hoops to change over my licence etc.
Have joined Nelson Bay Pistol Club for my H cat stuff as it is convenient to home and work.

What are my range options for up to .308 between Taree and Newcastle?
Anywhere that has a template for .338 Lapua? What is the NSW registry position on .338 Lap? QLD made it too hard in the end.

Any advice or experiences welcomed.

Cheers,

Andrew
andreweden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: have moved to NSW

Post by Bello » 11 Jan 2021, 3:54 pm

Hi andreweden
I'm not familiar with ranges in that area for rifles. But I did meet a fellow at my range who travelled down from that area to Silverdale rifle range for his rifle work.
At Silverdale rifle range (PH: 4653-140) they will NOT permit 338 Lap. The 50M indoor range at ST Marys (Ph: 8889-0406) will.
Another good place is 'Hill top'(Ph: 131-302). Beautiful new range with targets out to 500 meters. Not sure the biggest caliber they permit.
There is an 800 meter range there but I think it may be for club members only.
Also we have Malabar range, they have certain days where rifles are used at different ranges.
Maybe a phone call to these listed places can assist you.
Hope I have been of sum assistance.
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by andreweden » 11 Jan 2021, 5:12 pm

Thanks Bello, gives me a starting point!
andreweden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Lsfan » 11 Jan 2021, 8:12 pm

I haven’t moved to Nsw, I’ve lived here all my life!, I would be interested to know recommended ranges for someone living in southwest Sydney. Initially I plan to go to Cecil park range, but am prepared to travel to all of those bello mentions above. I’ll only have a 22lr and an air rifle at the moment. I haven’t been to any ranges so would be great to hear opinions such as ease of access, how busy they get, standard of facility etc. I don’t think I can start a post on here yet so apologies for hijacking this one.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Ziege » 11 Jan 2021, 8:39 pm

qld to nsw, my condolences
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by PaddyT » 11 Jan 2021, 9:18 pm

hmm-working in Qld at the moment-just got locked down for no good reason-would much rather be back in NSW -i can hunt state forest, escape to the mountains Qld vs NSW-i leave the answer to that alone. Anyway Ranges around Newcastle there is Cessnock, Newcastle, Hornsby, Upper Hunter and there just the ones ive driven past-never shot at any of them so hop onto Dr Google and check them out. South Western Sydney -Cecil Park -only shot clays there but the indoor rimfire range is apparently state of the art , St Marys is pretty good for pure indoor and Silverdale is excellent.
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Lsfan » 11 Jan 2021, 9:51 pm

PaddyT wrote:hmm-working in Qld at the moment-just got locked down for no good reason-would much rather be back in NSW -i can hunt state forest, escape to the mountains Qld vs NSW-i leave the answer to that alone. Anyway Ranges around Newcastle there is Cessnock, Newcastle, Hornsby, Upper Hunter and there just the ones ive driven past-never shot at any of them so hop onto Dr Google and check them out. South Western Sydney -Cecil Park -only shot clays there but the indoor rimfire range is apparently state of the art , St Marys is pretty good for pure indoor and Silverdale is excellent.

Thanks for the feedback. I’ll start at Cecil park and see how I go. The state forest hunting option sounds good. I was googling on the weekend and it seemed jenolan would be the nearest for me.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bugman » 12 Jan 2021, 10:42 am

I would not try to use it the Hornsby range, as I think it is a no go for the 338 Lapua there.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Bugman » 12 Jan 2021, 10:43 am

Ziege wrote:qld to nsw, my condolences

Condolences for what? You will have to give me a "Pauline Hanson" on that one.....please explain
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by JohnV » 12 Jan 2021, 5:50 pm

There is also Seaham 200 meter BR range at East Seaham . That's not that far from Nelsons Bay but I am not sure about 338 .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Bello » 14 Jan 2021, 11:54 am

Hello Andreeden
I found a pic of the range at HILL TOP. Its a lovely new range, friendly staff.
Attachments
IMG_0979.jpg
IMG_0979.jpg (50.35 KiB) Viewed 2451 times
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bugman » 14 Jan 2021, 1:11 pm

Yes. I quite agree. I have been there, not to shoot though. Very impressive set up. Just a tad out of my way for a regular visit.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 15 Jan 2021, 12:08 pm

Hilltop is currently restricted to 300m. Also there are no range flags. So you're screwed if there's no mirage; and have to rely on other's splash to get a read. Wet dirt/no other shooters? - reading the wind becomes impossible. Walking up to the targets every 30mins is also tiresome. I honestly don't know why they didn't build a trench - it's more a MS range than anything, considering where/how the berms are. Yet no MS there (yet) :unknown:
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles