Lead removal in a marlin 4570

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Lead removal in a marlin 4570

Post by Blr243 » 22 Jan 2021, 3:37 pm

Never mind hijavking thread, conversation runs it’s course, I don’t mind if we end up discussing epileptic possums running across the top of tin roofs. .....my 4570 is not a cowboy model it’s the standard 1895 ..I tried trail boss and chrono in half grain increments trying to get to my desired speed but the amount of powder I needed would have been compressing too much so I abandoned the idea in the interest of not burning my eyebrows off. I got onto the marlin owners forum. I think it’s a yank forum. After a ton of very detailed research and time I got onto a safe load using unique powder .....I pretty much think ADI and alliant is all we can get in Australia.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 22 Jan 2021, 5:34 pm

Unique and AP70 are rated as "equivalent" powders. I've used both in my lever-guns but get different results with each.
For a bit of trivia, it takes roughly 70 grains of black powder to get a 500grain bullet @1200 f/s in a .45-70
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by LawrenceA » 22 Jan 2021, 5:43 pm

Gamerancher wrote:Back onto the original question.
Given that you said it has ballard rifling, is the rifle in question one of the "Cowboy" models?
I had one of those with the 26" barrel. It shot cast 360 grain bullets ( plain base/lubed, not coated ) very well using 20 grains of 2205 or 16 grains of Trailboss. You wont fit that much trailboss under a 500 grainer. Just work out how deep you need to seat the bullet that it will cycle out of the mag and fill the case to the base of the bullet without any compaction. Maybe have a bit of a gap for starters and work up.
That weight of bullet is far better suited to single shots where you can get a lot more powder behind it but it wont hurt to try them out.

P.S. I'd still lube them, I've seen and used some coated bullets where the coating was inconsistent and, dare I say, questionable.
They have a lot of bearing surface and I just get better results doing so.

What he said.
With bells on!
Lead fouling should not be an issue.
One well placed shot is all it takes.
LawrenceA
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by boingk » 22 Jan 2021, 8:35 pm

HiTek coated Black Widow projectiles in 405gn worked really well for me in front of 14gn Trailboss. Just on an inch at 100m with a 30 year old 4-power Barska scope. Thats's 0.87MOA, not too shabby.

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by Gamerancher » 24 Jan 2021, 8:24 am

So all you need to do now is throw the scope away, stand up and shoot iron sights off-hand at a lever-action metallic silhouette match! :thumbsup: :drinks:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by JohnV » 24 Jan 2021, 9:01 am

Hoppies no 9 did a fair job of removing lead fouling . Scrub it in with a bronze brush , leave it for an hour and patch it out and do it again until the bore looks ok .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by boingk » 26 Jan 2021, 9:57 pm

Gamerancher wrote:So all you need to do now is throw the scope away, stand up and shoot iron sights off-hand at a lever-action metallic silhouette match! :thumbsup: :drinks:

No arguments there my good man. That's what the 44 Mag and 32-20 '92s are for.

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by Gamerancher » 27 Jan 2021, 8:48 am

There is a 2 day lever gun silhouette shoot coming up hosted by the Southern Highlands branch at the Bowral pistol club range in February.
It's called the "True Grit" shoot, 3 x 40 shot pistol calibre matches on the Saturday, followed by 3 x 40 shot matches on the Sunday.
P.M me if you're interested
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles