Oceania SP-15 223rem

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Oceania SP-15 223rem

Post by greybro » 07 Feb 2021, 9:48 am

(Forgive a newbie for what might be a stupid question).

I’m a leftie, and a new shooter. I’ve got my first rifle coming (Lithgow la101 crossover 22lr, meopta meopro 4.5-14x50 - viewtopic.php?f=71&t=14871), and when I was shopping around I noticed that bolt actions for a left hander area slightly more rare breed, both new and secondhand.

While browsing r/ausguns on reddit, I saw a post for a re view of an Oceania SP-15 (https://www.reddit.com/r/Ausguns/commen ... self_plug/).

Unless I’m being a bit daft, which is quite possible, I noticed the SP-15s are being shouldered on the right, but the pull action is on the left. From my veeeeeeeery limited experience, that seems different from what you’d see in a right handed bolt action. Is this because of the straight pull action? Is it for some other deliberate design function?

Please help a confused left hander understand. I’m looking at my second rifle (yes, already), and though up a price bracket, this seems pretty nice. Any thoughts/comments/experiences would be appreciated!
greybro
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Oceania SP-15 223rem

Post by InisBineest » 07 Feb 2021, 7:34 pm

greybro wrote:(Forgive a newbie for what might be a stupid question).

I’m a leftie, and a new shooter. I’ve got my first rifle coming (Lithgow la101 crossover 22lr, meopta meopro 4.5-14x50 - viewtopic.php?f=71&t=14871), and when I was shopping around I noticed that bolt actions for a left hander area slightly more rare breed, both new and secondhand.

While browsing r/ausguns on reddit, I saw a post for a re view of an Oceania SP-15 (https://www.reddit.com/r/Ausguns/commen ... self_plug/).

Unless I’m being a bit daft, which is quite possible, I noticed the SP-15s are being shouldered on the right, but the pull action is on the left. From my veeeeeeeery limited experience, that seems different from what you’d see in a right handed bolt action. Is this because of the straight pull action? Is it for some other deliberate design function?

Please help a confused left hander understand. I’m looking at my second rifle (yes, already), and though up a price bracket, this seems pretty nice. Any thoughts/comments/experiences would be appreciated!

Hey Mate,
I have a Warwick WFA1L... similar rifle with the same function. I'm a right handed shooter, and it came with a left hand bolt to pull. The idea being i can keep my grip hand on the trigger while i cycle it with my left. This way you don't have to take your hand off the trigger position and theoretically have better accuracy at speed. For a much lighter rifle, or a stronger person than myself, this could work, but in practice i found the muzzle would dip badly on each reload and target acquisition was hard between shots.

Soooo.... i got a right hand bolt fitted. You the WFA1 platform, you can have right, left or both bolt handles fitted to suit your style. I like leaving them both on, as i do a mix of shooting from a bench and from field positions, and both give me a bit of flexibility.

From my understanding, The SP-25 has options for bolt handles on either side... but i think the SP-15 is only left hand pull, although i hear there are plans to change that. Get in touch with Oceania Precision via facebook, the owner is very responsive! (Had dealings with him as my Warwick wears one of the OP triggers:)
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Oceania SP-15 223rem

Post by greybro » 08 Feb 2021, 4:59 am

Thanks InisBineest
greybro
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles