Which Stock/Chassis for Howa 1500?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Which Stock/Chassis for Howa 1500?

Post by sbd850 » 12 Feb 2021, 11:07 am

Hey all,

I'm in the market for my first rifle. I'm going to go with a 26" Howa Barrelled Short Action in a 6.5 Creedmoor with the aim to be getting into target shooting at all ranges. I like the ballistics, effective range and lower recoil of the 6.5 Creedmoor.

After a few weeks of research I like the MDT XRS, MDT LSS, KRG Bravo (in which case I'll just get a Howa Bravo) and the Howa TSP-X. On an aesthetic level, the MDT XRS is my favourite as I like the stock/chassis Crossover Hybrid look, so I'm leaning towards that.

Anyway my questions are:
On the MDT Website, it says the MDT XRS fits .223 and .307 magazines, does this mean it cannot be used or made to fit a 6.5 CM mag?
Among the stocks/chassis that I listed, would it be a mistake to go with the XRS over the other 3? Am I missing out on anything major by not using a full chassis system in terms of accuracy and function?
And as I'm still discovering new chassis/stocks every day, are there any other Crossover systems in the a similar price range as the XRS that I may not have come across yet that people would recommend?
Here in Victoria, the longest ranges I'm aware of are 500m in Little River and 2000m in Mildura, if there's any other's I'm unaware of I'd like to know about them.

Thanks!
sbd850
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Which Stock/Chassis for Howa 1500?

Post by Ziege » 12 Feb 2021, 9:12 pm

if i was target shooting I would get the heaviest barrel and stock I was allowed under comp rules. chassis aren't usually in that category.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 13 Feb 2021, 7:23 am

There are a lot of different target shooting and they use different equipment. A benchrest stock usually has a three inch wide fore end and is designed to ride bags but a Metallic silhouette stock is designed for offhand shooting. The MDT chassis is an entry level chassis not designed with any particular style of shooting in mind.

If I was starting out in Benchrest shooting, I would get a 223 with a 1:8 twist barrel and learn to shoot at moderate ranges, that is 100 to 500 metres. It is cheap to shoot and your barrels will last three times as long.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Cooper » 13 Feb 2021, 8:34 am

I have the KRG bravo on a short action howa (6.5). The 6.5 creedmoor feeds out of 308 magazine.

I quite like them look of the MDT XRS. But I don’t have any experience with it.
Pretty sure other MDT chassis and stocks with Howa only work with the Poly magazine I think you can trim the metal magazine and MDT also do a poly metal lip hybrid magazine. But this could be an issue

Is the MDT XRS in stock? I Would probably buy the Howa Bravo package then you have a functioning package from the start.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by cz515 » 13 Feb 2021, 11:40 am

I e have two howas, a creedmore age a 223, the creedmore is a howa hcr package and the 233 was normal but i got a bro bravo stock.

The biggest issue with the bravo is that it doesn't come with a magazine (the package might) also the rear cheek rest needs to be taken off if you want to pull the bolt out.

The hcr is a very nice stock with a good adjustable butt stock and very adjustable. Also comes with a acis metal magazine. It's a 24inch heavy non threaded barrel.

I will end up putting the 6.5 creedmoor in hcr chassis on used guns when i pull my finger out, as i got another action that i will put a swan barrel on.
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 13 Feb 2021, 5:00 pm

How’s current availability with these chassis?
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by cz515 » 13 Feb 2021, 5:10 pm

In2 the HCR is no longer available in Australia. Well i can't find it on osa website.
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 15 Feb 2021, 8:00 am

Thought so cz515. Best to check availability before romanticizing too heavily. Currently it's "take what you can get" out there....

FWIW I have a KRG Bravo for a crossover TR and occasional S/H setup. Seems well built, but to me the grip feels a little swollen in my average-sized hand. Meanwhile the XRS has those two options for the palm i.e. vertical and "less-vertical" depending on your taste.

Also the forend is shorter on the Bravo than the XRS, which is actually beneficial for me for TR, I like my sling hand to be as close and tight against the swivel as possible - better "locking" the hand into place from the sling. Danged short arms!!

The PRS and PSR boys tend to run that spigot attachment thingy on the Bravos to get their bipods further forward (obviously better stability). Nevertheless the XRS is slightly heavier; tradeoffs tradeoffs...
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by mikejay » 18 Mar 2021, 12:01 pm

If I'm not too late to join the conversation, have you looked at the locally made TSP-X by Southern Cross Small Arms?

Here's an example of a Howa 1500 Short Action .223 on a TSP-X, there's also a custom IBI barrel on it.

The rear and front bag riders are also custom 3D prints, since this pic the front one has been milled in aluminium and anodized black.

mikejay
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bah! » 19 Mar 2021, 10:53 am

mikejay wrote:If I'm not too late to join the conversation, have you looked at the locally made TSP-X by Southern Cross Small Arms?

How much are they?
bah!
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by womble » 19 Mar 2021, 3:14 pm

All i see is perfection.
Dollars are of no consequence.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by womble » 19 Mar 2021, 4:09 pm

I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by mikejay » 20 Mar 2021, 8:11 pm

bah! wrote:
mikejay wrote:If I'm not too late to join the conversation, have you looked at the locally made TSP-X by Southern Cross Small Arms?

How much are they?

Depending on where you buy, $600 to $700
mikejay
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Baronvonrort » 20 Mar 2021, 10:31 pm

sbd850 wrote:Hey all,

I'm in the market for my first rifle. I'm going to go with a 26" Howa Barrelled Short Action in a 6.5 Creedmoor with the aim to be getting into target shooting at all ranges. I like the ballistics, effective range and lower recoil of the 6.5 Creedmoor.

Anyway my questions are:
On the MDT Website, it says the MDT XRS fits .223 and .307 magazines, does this mean it cannot be used or made to fit a 6.5 CM mag?
Among the stocks/chassis that I listed, would it be a mistake to go with the XRS over the other 3? Am I missing out on anything major by not using a full chassis system in terms of accuracy and function?

Thanks!

The 6.5 manbun will use the .308 magazine.

The MDT LSS XL would be better than LSS with 26 inch barrel.

People get good results with wood stocks a full chassis would have better ergonomics it really comes down to personal preference
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles