VIC IPSC magazine exemption

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

VIC IPSC magazine exemption

Post by Gun-nut » 23 Feb 2021, 12:41 am

G'day everyone,

Been looking into some IPSC comps lately as they've peaked my interest, and it has come to my attention that there is supposedly an exemption given to ipsc shooters to utilise higher capacity magazines for their rifles than on a standard shooting licence. Is this fairly common in practice, or another one of those "technicalities" where it's legal to do so, but never actually gets approved. Anyone have any experience with this, or know someone who has?

Cheers fellas.
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: VIC IPSC magazine exemption

Post by Member-Deleted » 23 Feb 2021, 4:57 pm

Gun-nut wrote:G'day everyone,

Been looking into some IPSC comps lately as they've peaked my interest, and it has come to my attention that there is supposedly an exemption given to ipsc shooters to utilise higher capacity magazines for their rifles than on a standard shooting licence. Is this fairly common in practice, or another one of those "technicalities" where it's legal to do so, but never actually gets approved. Anyone have any experience with this, or know someone who has?

Cheers fellas.

I don't know (bear with me). If I was to assume this was the case, I would think that the cat A/B/H would need to be listed as a collectors licences also. You'd probably find that the major IPSC clubs in VIC also run collectors clubs at the same location, could be one of the reasons? Though Ibhave not heard of higher capacity magazines being used in IPSC though I do not shoot it, yet.
Member-Deleted

Post by bladeracer » 23 Feb 2021, 7:18 pm

BangWhizzClack wrote:I don't know (bear with me). If I was to assume this was the case, I would think that the cat A/B/H would need to be listed as a collectors licences also. You'd probably find that the major IPSC clubs in VIC also run collectors clubs at the same location, could be one of the reasons? Though Ibhave not heard of higher capacity magazines being used in IPSC though I do not shoot it, yet.

If it were held on a Collector's Licence you wouldn't be able to use it for IPSC. Collector's licenced firearms can _only_ be used at approved collector club shoots.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 23 Feb 2021, 7:20 pm

Gun-nut wrote:G'day everyone,

Cheers fellas.

Never heard of this.
What rifles are people using in IPSC here?
Personally, IPSC is supposed to be a Practical sport, so it should operate with the same mag restrictions allowed by our laws.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by junjun » 23 Feb 2021, 10:27 pm

I have uploaded the form. It allows you to own and use 30 rounds AR mag.
Attachments
Application-for-Restricted-Magazine-Authority.pdf
(155.35 KiB) Downloaded 428 times
junjun
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 24 Feb 2021, 8:38 pm

junjun wrote:I have uploaded the form. It allows you to own and use 30 rounds AR mag.

Nice one. I'm assuming the rifle of choice is the Remington 7615?
Member-Deleted

Post by InisBineest » 25 Feb 2021, 5:42 am

BangWhizzClack wrote:
junjun wrote:I have uploaded the form. It allows you to own and use 30 rounds AR mag.

A lot of Warwick owners are getting in on the action too:)
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 25 Feb 2021, 7:41 am

InisBineest wrote:
BangWhizzClack wrote:

Interesting, the Warwicks don't take the AR-15 magazines though do they?
Member-Deleted

Post by linkoln » 25 Feb 2021, 10:44 am

BangWhizzClack wrote:
InisBineest wrote:
BangWhizzClack wrote:

Interesting, the Warwicks don't take the AR-15 magazines though do they?

Yeah of course they do. I have a gen 2 pmag that you need to slap the base of every few rounds to get it to sit properly but I just got a gen 3 and it seems fine so far.
linkoln
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Member-Deleted » 25 Feb 2021, 12:37 pm

linkoln wrote:Yeah of course they do. I have a gen 2 pmag that you need to slap the base of every few rounds to get it to sit properly but I just got a gen 3 and it seems fine so far.

Oh okay, there you go. Learn something new everyday :thumbsup:
Member-Deleted

Return to Centerfire rifles