357 lever hates my projectiles

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

357 lever hates my projectiles

Post by Tubs » 12 Mar 2021, 11:14 am

Trying to feed button nose wadcutter 357's into a Marlin 1894. Doesnt like them at all/won't feed.

No issues with round nose Speer JHP's but these are really expensive. I have some berrys copper plated conical flat points that seem to feed ok but I wont hunt with them.

Whats a good all rounder projectile (135 to 158 gn) for some range work and hunting that wont break the bank? Im using 2205 powder in medium to heavy loads.

Thanks!
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: 357 lever hates my projectiles

Post by Tubs » 12 Mar 2021, 11:51 am

It would appear that hardcast round nose flat point's feed well, but are they sufficient to hunt with?
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 12 Mar 2021, 12:18 pm

Tubs wrote:Trying to feed button nose wadcutter 357's into a Marlin 1894. Doesnt like them at all/won't feed.

No issues with round nose Speer JHP's but these are really expensive. I have some berrys copper plated conical flat points that seem to feed ok but I wont hunt with them.

Whats a good all rounder projectile (135 to 158 gn) for some range work and hunting that wont break the bank? Im using 2205 powder in medium to heavy loads.

Thanks!

The Berry's 125gn Copper-Plated shoots very well in my Rossi 1892. They are hardcast though so FMJ on live targets.
The 110gn XTP is pretty good also, and comes in a wide range from 110gn to 180gn.
The Speer 158gn JHP is a good cheap bullet ($153/450 at Rebels), possibly the cheapest you'll find without turning to hardcast bullets.

Might be worth getting a bullet mould and make some soft-lead bullets yourself.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 12 Mar 2021, 12:22 pm

Tubs wrote:It would appear that hardcast round nose flat point's feed well, but are they sufficient to hunt with?

Sure, as long as they're accurate enough to place them right where they need to be, the brain or cervical spine.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 12 Mar 2021, 1:15 pm

When I was hunting with a 357 lever I used xtp s and never had any feeding issues. Cost is not an issue with hunting projectiles U are not shooting enough of them to cause financial stress
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Tubs » 12 Mar 2021, 1:43 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Tubs wrote:Trying to feed button nose wadcutter 357's into a Marlin 1894. Doesnt like them at all/won't feed.

Thanks!

The Berry's 125gn Copper-Plated shoots very well in my Rossi 1892. They are hardcast though so FMJ on live targets.
The 110gn XTP is pretty good also, and comes in a wide range from 110gn to 180gn.
The Speer 158gn JHP is a good cheap bullet ($153/450 at Rebels), possibly the cheapest you'll find without turning to hardcast bullets.

Might be worth getting a bullet mould and make some soft-lead bullets yourself.

Those Speer 158gn JHP are cheap, thanks dude, just bought the 450 pack.

Going to practice some quiet trailboss loads using my 125 gn round flat nose cast pills using some trailboss too:)
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bugman » 12 Mar 2021, 2:29 pm

I would be interested on how you go with the the Speer 158gn JHP. Keep us posted.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Tubs » 12 Mar 2021, 4:26 pm

Bugman wrote:I would be interested on how you go with the the Speer 158gn JHP. Keep us posted.

Will do....
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Diamond Jim » 12 Mar 2021, 5:02 pm

Blr243 wrote:When I was hunting with a 357 lever I used xtp s and never had any feeding issues. Cost is not an issue with hunting projectiles U are not shooting enough of them to cause financial stress

+1 on the above. I use cast bullets solely for punching paper. For hunting I'd be looking at some jacketed soft point or hollow point projectiles. As said, typically you won't be shooting enough of these to notice the cost - but if you do find yourself on a purple patch you won't care about the expense.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by boingk » 13 Mar 2021, 11:08 pm

Diamond Jim wrote:
Blr243 wrote:When I was hunting with a 357 lever I used xtp s and never had any feeding issues. Cost is not an issue with hunting projectiles U are not shooting enough of them to cause financial stress

+1 on the above. I use cast bullets solely for punching paper. For hunting I'd be looking at some jacketed soft point or hollow point projectiles. As said, typically you won't be shooting enough of these to notice the cost - but if you do find yourself on a purple patch you won't care about the expense.

Big vote for the XTP's for huting. Good feeders and run well. No issues in game either.

The Berry's you can get hollowpoint 125gn in 357. Havent used them in game but should be a winner. Obviously not as good as an XTP but well proced and its a hellava hollow.

Button-nose usually wont feed in a lever due to the lift and feed ramp arrangement. I found this out with my 1892 Winchester in 32-20. Wont feed buttons worth a darn.
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Return to Centerfire rifles