Trailboss questions

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Trailboss questions

Post by Tubs » 17 Mar 2021, 1:14 pm

Hi Chaps,

Do JHP's work ok with trailboss? The box says its for lead bullets only... Whats the implication of shooting a jacketed round using TB?

I want to experiment with light loads for my 1894 using 38 special, trailboss and the Speer JHP 158's.

Should I be using ~4.5gn or more trailboss for shooting out to say 50/75?

Cheers
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Trailboss questions

Post by InisBineest » 17 Mar 2021, 1:25 pm

You can use anything you want with trailboss, but you won't get any high velocities, and expansion of JHP will be non-existent. But as for safety, should be fine. I shoot FMJ 223 with trailboss out of my Warwick with no issues. Very clean too.
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Tubs » 17 Mar 2021, 1:43 pm

InisBineest wrote:You can use anything you want with trailboss, but you won't get any high velocities, and expansion of JHP will be non-existent. But as for safety, should be fine. I shoot FMJ 223 with trailboss out of my Warwick with no issues. Very clean too.

Got it, thanks. I guess they promote lead 'cause of the low velocity/expansion and therefore no use case for HP's. Cheers.
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 17 Mar 2021, 2:39 pm

Tubs wrote:Hi Chaps,

Do JHP's work ok with trailboss? The box says its for lead bullets only... Whats the implication of shooting a jacketed round using TB?

I want to experiment with light loads for my 1894 using 38 special, trailboss and the Speer JHP 158's.

Cheers

I mainly use jacketed bullets with TB, but cast works fine also.
4.5gn of TB is a good starting point with 125gn to 158gn bullets, I use 4gn behind the 110gn XTP.

I've just this arvo been shooting the .223Rem with 62gn TAP on 8gn of TB, making 1575fps. Basically a 62gn WMR load or a Stinger with double the bullet.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Tubs » 17 Mar 2021, 2:43 pm

bladeracer wrote:

Cheers

4.5gn of TB is a good starting point with 125gn to 158gn bullets, I use 4gn behind the 110gn XTP.

I've just this arvo been shooting the .223Rem with 62gn TAP on 8gn of TB, making 1575fps. Basically a 62gn WMR load or a Stinger with double the bullet.

Hey mate, how accurate do u reckon I'll get with a scoped Remlin 357 at 50 to 70 metres using a 4.5gn w/125's lead or 158's jhps? Ill be testing hot loads as well, just curious about the quiet stuff.
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 17 Mar 2021, 2:59 pm

Tubs wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Cheers

Hey mate, how accurate do u reckon I'll get with a scoped Remlin 357 at 50 to 70 metres using a 4.5gn w/125's lead or 158's jhps? Ill be testing hot loads as well, just curious about the quiet stuff.

MicroGroove or Ballard rifling?

I would certainly expect the jacketed bullets to group better than cast ones.

I have the Uberti 66 in .38 Special, the Rossi 92 in .357 Mag, and the Marlin 1894 in .44 Mag. The Rossi and Marlin I can scope for load development and they both are quite capable of 2MoA at 100m (5rds in 58mm) off the bench with jacketed bullets. With hardcast bullets if I can hold 3MoA at 100m with the Rossi and 4MoA with the Marlin, I'm fairly happy. All are accurate enough to fairly consistently hit the half-scale ram silhouette out to 100m, 200m is tough though.

The Uberti I have never scoped, but off the bench with Williams peep sight, with Berry's 125gn copper-plated it can pull an occasional 5rd 40mm group at 50m, but 70mm is more realistically consistent.

The Marlin won't group any commercial cast bullet for me, they're all around .430", I'm casting (and PC) my own at .432" to get cast to work at all.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 17 Mar 2021, 3:10 pm

With a 175mm rifled chamber adapter in the 12ga. Dickinson straight-pull, I was grouping .45 Colt 200gn Berry's hardcast RNFP on 8gn of TB making 810fps into roughly 200mm at 50m off the bench, without any sights at all. I also tried them in the Stoeger Condor (with a front sight) but they were about 600mm high and right, and a group of about 500mm diameter. When I put sights or a scope on the Dickinson I might be able to get it to group not far off lever-action loads, which is incredible.

I fired one of them into the dirt and recovered it, no damage at all.
20210317_160717b.jpg
20210317_160717b.jpg (298.42 KiB) Viewed 2624 times
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Tubs » 17 Mar 2021, 3:22 pm

The Marlin is new/unfired. So I guess it is Ballard? Not sure.
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 17 Mar 2021, 3:35 pm

Tubs wrote:The Marlin is new/unfired. So I guess it is Ballard? Not sure.

Have a look down the bore.
Attachments
s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600 (1).jpg (314.23 KiB) Viewed 2619 times
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Tubs » 17 Mar 2021, 3:47 pm

6-groove Ballard
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Tubs » 17 Mar 2021, 7:04 pm

bladeracer wrote:

Cheers

Do u use a chrono Sir?
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by boingk » 17 Mar 2021, 9:00 pm

Tubs wrote:6-groove Ballard

Nothing wrong with a 6 groove ballard. I have an 1895 which is sticking with me to my demise nd recently sold an 1894 in 357 Mag which was a pleasure to shoot.

I found Trailboss loads in each to be fine, and actually got sub-MOA groups out of the 1895 with no more than a folded, padded bag as the rest for the rifle of a bench.

I would start a hafway between minimum and max and go from there. If ou are worried about expansion use pistol-grade hollowpoint rounds rated for the expected vlocities.

If you want accuracy and cheap range plinking I can certaily attest to Black Widow projectiles.

I would suggest a 125gn or so if using Trailboss in any case.
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by Tubs » 17 Mar 2021, 9:50 pm

boingk wrote:
Tubs wrote:6-groove Ballard

Nothing wrong with a 6 groove ballard. I have an 1895 which is sticking with me to my demise nd recently sold an 1894 in 357 Mag which was a pleasure to shoot.

I found Trailboss loads in each to be fine, and actually got sub-MOA groups out of the 1895 with no more than a folded, padded bag as the rest for the rifle of a bench.

I would start a hafway between minimum and max and go from there. If ou are worried about expansion use pistol-grade hollowpoint rounds rated for the expected vlocities.

If you want accuracy and cheap range plinking I can certaily attest to Black Widow projectiles.

I would suggest a 125gn or so if using Trailboss in any case.

Thanks, Ive got about 54 permutations to test - 2 calibres (38 special, 357), three powders (2400/TB/2050), and 3 projectiles :o
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 17 Mar 2021, 10:21 pm

Tubs wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Cheers

Do u use a chrono Sir?

I do use a chrono.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Tubs » 17 Mar 2021, 10:27 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Tubs wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Cheers

Do u use a chrono Sir?

I do use a chrono.

How many grains of TB would you use for a quiet 158gn load for 357? The Hodgson site has the same amount as for 38 special. Strange.
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 17 Mar 2021, 10:51 pm

I would start at 4.5gn and work up or down to get what you want.
.38 and .357 are identical other than the 2mm longer case.

If you are wanting to be just subsonic you need to work the load up in the specific firearm, there are variables, especially with cast bullets.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Tubs » 17 Mar 2021, 10:59 pm

bladeracer wrote:I would start at 4.5gn and work up or down to get what you want.
.38 and .357 are identical other than the 2mm longer case.

If you are wanting to be just subsonic you need to work the load up in the specific firearm, there are variables, especially with cast bullets.

Might as well just stick with 38 special for these lighter loads then. Thanks again
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles