.223 Varmint/ Target rifle options

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

.223 Varmint/ Target rifle options

Post by ando967 » 17 Mar 2021, 7:01 pm

Evening all,

Looking for some suggestions or alternatives that I should be considering. I’m looking to buy a .223 and looking to spend between about $1600 and $3000 which I know is quite a wide range. I came to these rough figures off some of the Tikka Models that are available, those being: the CTR, TAC and Varmint.

Some of my main considerations are:

Barrel contour: looking for a pretty heavy contour here. I like that some of the Tikka models have Sako barrels. Accuracy and the ability to run some quick strings are my thoughts here.

Twist rate: ideally 1:8, 1:7.5 has crossed my mind for heavier bullets but I figure I could always load my 6.5 light and get the same effect or better. I’m not sure 1:7.5 is a factory offering either.

Barrel length: 20-24” with a preference to longer but the model may dictate here.

Action: - high quality, smooth, accurate.

In terms of purpose it would mainly be a target/ varmint rig. I’ll probably install a pic rail on the action and run my old Leupold Mark 4 3.5 - 10.

I’d be keen to hear some alternative manufacturers or models I should be considering.
ando967
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Re: .223 Varmint/ Target rifle options

Post by Wm.Traynor » 17 Mar 2021, 7:23 pm

My 223 has an RPA, 4 lug action and a 30" Archer barrel with a twist that stabilised 80 gn Sierra Palma bullets. It was accurate to 1000 yards :D on the Fullbore targets of the day. Is that the kind of target shooting you had in mind?
BTW, that barrel length was necessary to develop the velocity that gave good elevation a 1000.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by ando967 » 17 Mar 2021, 8:15 pm

Hey mate,

She sounds like a custom/semi custom build? But one hell of a rig! 500m would be the max distance as that’s the furthest range my local club has and would also start to test the limits of my scope. I quickly cross checked a barrel chart and realised that the 1:8 is where I want to be based on projectile weight.
ando967
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by SCJ429 » 17 Mar 2021, 8:16 pm

For around the top end of your budget you may be able to snag a rifle built on a Barnard action in 223, I saw one on abused guns.com about a year ago and was tempted. I have used my Tikka Varmint in the Fly shoot a few times and placed in the top 50 with it. I used 80 grain Bergers and some Lapua brass but the action, barrel and trigger were factory stock. My Tikkas are all T3 not the later T3X if that makes any difference.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 17 Mar 2021, 8:23 pm

I have a tikka t3x super varmint 223 1-8 twist i placed a burris Xtr 2 5-25 ffp scope on the top of it for a ute gun/target rifle anything within 500 is in danger.

63g soft points are the go for game and for the further out stuff 69g tmk
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Shootermick » 17 Mar 2021, 8:24 pm

Be sure to check out a Lithgow.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by simmo » 17 Mar 2021, 9:59 pm

Just go with the a TikkaTAC, not the TAC A1.
You won’t be disappointed and still plenty of after market gear available if you want to throw more cash at it down the track.
simmo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 18 Mar 2021, 10:24 am

I doubt you will quantify the difference between a 1:8 and a 1:7. Both will stabilize an 80gr pill just fine, which is all you need for long range F-class type work, which just makes hitting the X ring just than fraction easier, particularly under blustery condition. BTW just remember running those fancy "VLD" type pills is expensive and probably won't feed from the mag at optimal length - single load only. Me, I'm more a humble 69gr SMK man :lol: Don't prioritize twist as a requirement - just take what you can get, a 1:8 will do fine.

With regard to barrel, there's only so far a factory barrel will take you; if you want to be competitive, you should be looking at aftermarket options, like a Krieger or Bartlein or Benchmark (or any "match" grade aftermarket barrel will probably do). Second to the barrel is the action; as mentioned by SCJ, the Barnard is the comp standard, but you can still build a laser on a cheaper action like the tikka or remington or perhaps howa, if you are on a budget.

Personally, I'd be looking at a custom build off the bat. You can have a custom built rifle made on a moderate donar for less than the cost of those fancy tactical things, that will likely shoot better.

I've just had a custom crossover TR/light-F built myself which was a KRG BRAVO stock + tikka t3 donar action + 30cal Krieger Palma, for less than $3000. It runs a 10-shot mag and it'll shoot Xs out to 800m, if you're doing your bit.

smaller.JPG
smaller.JPG (429.68 KiB) Viewed 5942 times

I've also built a 223 on an old HOWA donar, with a Lothar-Walther 1:9 - that thing's also a god-damned laser, but more a 500m gun.

In2.
Last edited by in2anity on 18 Mar 2021, 3:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Bill » 18 Mar 2021, 11:30 am

Mate has been running a custom T3x 223 build for a few years, got himself a Bergara HMR Premier recently. Reckons the trigger on the Bergara is better more comfortable user friednly stock and appears to shooting as well if not better than his T3x. His next rifle will be another Bergara

Do yourself a favour and go handle one...... :thumbsup:
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by ando967 » 21 Mar 2021, 3:03 pm

Well I handled a Tikka Super Varmint at my local and I have to say I was pretty impressed with it. It sits at around the $2400 mark so is a good middle ground, came with a picatinny rail, adjustable cheek rest, an oversized bolt knob and had a 24" varmint barrel. What are some people's favorite pet loads for accuracy?

Brass
Primer
Powder
Projectile

I think the TAC might be a bit to much to spend for a cross over gun that will get dragged around the bush every now and again. Might put the extra towards some better glass for it.
ando967
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Wm.Traynor » 21 Mar 2021, 4:18 pm

ando,
The bad news is that my pet load won't work for you. The other bad news is that, if you want maximum accuracy from that gear of yours, then you have work to do. As far as that goes (reloading), it is possible to do more of that than of shooting :(
A lot of people here do that kind of thing and I believe it is meat and drink to them. They thrive on it :D I think. They will help you if you want. In comparison, I am too old school.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 21 Mar 2021, 4:48 pm

Simple. Match brass, match primer, match pill. The varmint contour will be a lot less fussy when it comes to handloads at least. Match pills are also hard to come by currently - but a 77gr pill is ideal for your 1/2km groups. You just have to learn to read the wind.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by ando967 » 21 Mar 2021, 6:31 pm

I’m pretty comfortable with load development and have run through it on all my center fire rifles (6.5, .270) and for multiple bullet weights within those calibers. I’ve noticed that there generally tends to be some common ground on stable loads. Certain bullet weights with certain powder ranges etc. Brass wise I’d lean to Norma, Lapua or Hornady, availability and cost will be the determining factor here I think. Sierra MK’s and Hornady ELD-M projectiles have always been good in my book, never messed around with Berger as they’re a bit to dear for my taste.
ando967
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by in2anity » 21 Mar 2021, 7:54 pm

The beauty of a heavy target barrel is there's less stuffing around looking for those sweet spots. Load her up and go compete. Hornady brass is meh, but I agree the ELDM pills seem pretty consistent. I've shot them to 800m (out of the 308) with decent results. Nevertheless, I basically just stick to the SMKs for the 303 (178gr), 223 (69gr) and 308 (155gr for TR) and they rarely, if ever let you down. The sierra 77gr HPBT is a better pill if you wanna stretch the lil 223 to 500m+. Bloody hard to get your hands on them though currently - another reason I'm making do with the venerable 69gr SMK.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 22 Mar 2021, 8:42 am

For longer ranges I use 80 grain Bergers but for 100 to 300 metres a flat based bullet works well. I use a Vmax or Speer TNT for hunting and can get them to shoot an inch at 300 metres using ADI brass and CCI BR4 primers.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 22 Mar 2021, 9:05 am

in2anity wrote:The beauty of a heavy target barrel is there's less stuffing around looking for those sweet spots. Load her up and go compete. Hornady brass is meh, but I agree the ELDM pills seem pretty consistent. I've shot them to 800m (out of the 308) with decent results. Nevertheless, I basically just stick to the SMKs for the 303 (178gr), 223 (69gr) and 308 (155gr for TR) and they rarely, if ever let you down. The sierra 77gr HPBT is a better pill if you wanna stretch the lil 223 to 500m+. Bloody hard to get your hands on them though currently - another reason I'm making do with the venerable 69gr SMK.

You can get some excellent results using the SMK but you do have to do some careful batching to sort them by ogive length.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 22 Mar 2021, 9:49 am

SCJ429 wrote:You can get some excellent results using the SMK but you do have to do some careful batching to sort them by ogive length.

I've only done a little bit of long work with the 223 TBH - mostly stuck to the 155gr performer out of the 30cal TR. It's in my agenda though - I have a 1:8" 223 that's punching WAY above its weight. I'm keen to give more of a look-in, on the fullbore side, mainly for fun, but it should hit the 5s, if I'm doing my part. I will do what you say, and batch my 77s SCJ - thanks. BTW check this out:

LHSsmall.jpg
No4-223 conversion
LHSsmall.jpg (485.14 KiB) Viewed 5777 times

Typical groups:

groupSmall.jpg
shot w. central + front blade service sights!!
groupSmall.jpg (424.12 KiB) Viewed 5777 times

Sorry, don't mean to hijack - it's just that's a little mind bending, to me, considering it's the rear-locking, SMLE design... :o
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 22 Mar 2021, 12:59 pm

Great work, much better than anything I can do with open sights.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 22 Mar 2021, 1:59 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Great work, much better than anything I can do with open sights.

I'm sure you could, with a little practice. The key is the lollipop hold and a nicely blackened foresight.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Wm.Traynor » 22 Mar 2021, 2:25 pm

in2anity wrote:

I'm sure you could, with a little practice. The key is the lollipop hold and a nicely blackened foresight.

And youthful eyesight, don't forget :lol: :thumbsup:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 22 Mar 2021, 2:27 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:
in2anity wrote:

And youthful eyesight, don't forget :lol: :thumbsup:

My specs save me WM :drinks:
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 23 Mar 2021, 3:03 pm

in2anity wrote:

Also known as area aim
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 23 Mar 2021, 5:20 pm

deye243 wrote:Also known as area aim

Haven’t heard that one. The 6-oclock hold is what I was taught. That, and natural point of aim (body positioning). Do some time on a SCATT trainer, then you’ll see just how bad you are :lol:
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 23 Mar 2021, 7:17 pm

ando967 wrote:Well I handled a Tikka Super Varmint at my local and I have to say I was pretty impressed with it. It sits at around the $2400 mark so is a good middle ground, came with a picatinny rail, adjustable cheek rest, an oversized bolt knob and had a 24" varmint barrel. What are some people's favorite pet loads for accuracy?

Brass
Primer
Powder
Projectile

I think the TAC might be a bit to much to spend for a cross over gun that will get dragged around the bush every now and again. Might put the extra towards some better glass for it.

You can get a second-hand Super Varmint for about $1,000, these 223 are good for about 4,000 to 5,000 rounds before they go off. I bought my Super Varmint with less than 1,000 rounds through it and I shot over 4,000 rounds before rebarrelling. It was still shooting under 0.4 of an inch when I took the barrel off. When I first got it I could shoot in the low 0.2s.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 23 Mar 2021, 7:27 pm

This guy might be open to a cheeky offer.
https://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=196367
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles