Time for a 243 (at last)

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Time for a 243 (at last)

Post by ScottyD » 17 Apr 2021, 9:58 am

bigrich wrote:
ScottyD wrote:Hey guys, thanks so much for all the excellent comments and tips. This forum is brilliant.

I have finally stopped stuffing around and made a decision.

After taking on board all your thoughts/advice, talking with other experienced shooters and shooting some different calibers for myself, I’ve committed to the slower route of a .223 first. I figure I’ll definitely be getting (a couple) larger caliber rifles in the not too distant future anyway, and as Bigrich mentioned, one gun to do everything would be boring.

So in case you’re curious, for my three PTAs (2xAs & 1xB), I’ve just put down deposits on a Styer Zephyr 2 in .22LR and a Frachi Horizon in .223 (the cammo version with cerakote barrel/action). I’m also intending to put down a deposit on a Styer LG110 High Power air rifle in .22 this week. I can’t wait to get stuck in.

Now, if they would just hurry up with the bloody PTAs ...

congrats on your purchases scottyd . as for air rifles, check out weihrauch . great bits of gear . i got back into this sport/hobby about five years ago , and as i went along my expectations of use, suitable caliber and performance didn't match with reality at times . some calibers/rifles are talked up , and or , talked down .
go into this with a open mind scottyd as your experiences progress so will your views and opinions :thumbsup:

and don't listen too much to people on online forums , some are over opinionated crackpots :P

:lol: :lol: :thumbsup:

Thanks Bigrich

And yes, I do really like the Weirauchs, they seem very high quality kit. I was strongly contemplating going the HW97 under lever for a fair while, but decided I can compete and hunt more efficiently with a PCP. The HW110 looks excellent, and I also like Air Arms stuff (especially the 510 Ultimate Sporter) but the dealer in Australia just seems a bit sketchy. I’ve read a lot of good reports on the Styer, so hopefully it’ll suit my purposes.

As for forum opinions, they’re a definite help (I just try to average them out and cross reference to personal observations) :thumbsup:
ScottyD
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Lebner » 17 Apr 2021, 4:02 pm

I picked up a zephyr in 22 mag a few months back. Best looking rifle I've ever seen. I'm not a great shot but I managed 10 shots into 19mm at 45 yards this morning off the bonnet so if I can manage that they must be pretty good.
Lebner
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by ScottyD » 20 Apr 2021, 8:17 pm

Lebner wrote:I picked up a zephyr in 22 mag a few months back. Best looking rifle I've ever seen. I'm not a great shot but I managed 10 shots into 19mm at 45 yards this morning off the bonnet so if I can manage that they must be pretty good.

Thanks mate, that’s good to hear. I can’t wait to get my hands on these first rifles (and my PTAs just came in today’s mail - woohooo! :clap: )
ScottyD
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by solarpak » 20 Apr 2021, 10:16 pm

Scotty,
all the rifles you have mentioned are ideal . However if overall weight with a scope is factor and you will be stalking (hunting on foot) then a rifle that weighs around 2.9-3.1 kg bare will be your best bet.

The Sako S20 - a lovely rifle that it is - is a tad too heavy as a walkabout rifle, as is the weatherby vanguard / howa - UNLESS you drop the barrelled action into a carbon fibre stock.

The Browning x bolt - a nice outfit - but not a lot of love out there for them too,

The Steyr Scout - great concept and nice to shoot - that could be an option.

243 - a great calibre - and i highly recommend Norma Oryx 100 gr soft points or GECO Teilmantel 105 gr soft points - if factory ammo is ya thing.

Cheers
C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by ScottyD » 21 Apr 2021, 9:05 am

solarpak wrote:Scotty,
all the rifles you have mentioned are ideal . However if overall weight with a scope is factor and you will be stalking (hunting on foot) then a rifle that weighs around 2.9-3.1 kg bare will be your best bet.

The Sako S20 - a lovely rifle that it is - is a tad too heavy as a walkabout rifle, as is the weatherby vanguard / howa - UNLESS you drop the barrelled action into a carbon fibre stock.

The Browning x bolt - a nice outfit - but not a lot of love out there for them too,

The Steyr Scout - great concept and nice to shoot - that could be an option.

243 - a great calibre - and i highly recommend Norma Oryx 100 gr soft points or GECO Teilmantel 105 gr soft points - if factory ammo is ya thing.

Cheers
C.

Thank solarpak, all duly noted.

Yeah I’m researching scopes at the moment, so I’ll keep the weight in mind.

I’m thinking about getting a Styer Scout in .308 with one of my next PTAs, should give me some good flexibility :thumbsup:
ScottyD
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Troyus » 11 May 2021, 9:36 pm

Australian made Lithgow LA102 mate. Beautiful rifle.
Only problem is weight imo if you want to stalk.
Troyus
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles