Time for a 243 (at last)

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Time for a 243 (at last)

Post by Oldbloke » 26 Mar 2021, 11:17 am

IMO Howa's are heavy......
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 27 Mar 2021, 8:06 pm

Oldbloke wrote:IMO Howa's are heavy......

i have a vangaurd 223 ( same thing for those who don't know ) , and i'm inclined to agree with you
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 27 Mar 2021, 8:09 pm

bigrich wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:IMO Howa's are heavy......

i have a vangaurd 223 ( same thing for those who don't know ) , and i'm inclined to agree with you

Yeh, I looked at a couple a few years ago and that was my impression. Got a Cheapo Marlin XL instead. Light and accurate. Looks cheap too. Lol.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 27 Mar 2021, 8:24 pm

The vanguard might be heavy, but it’s pretty slick and accurate. It’s finished nicer than a howa. I’ve been constantly refining it for field rifle comps at my local range. I’ve had three inches cut of the barrel and I’ve cut four inches of the front of the stock and refinished it . It’s a handy size and balances well for offhand shooting now
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Diamond Jim » 28 Mar 2021, 2:26 am

Pick the one that feels right. You can't go wrong with a .243 from one of the major brands. Your budget will be a factor but don't discount the more affordable brands - my experience with Howa has impressed.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by JohnV » 28 Mar 2021, 10:20 am

You can't go far wrong with a Vanguard or a Howa but I stopped using a 243 as a walk about stalking cartridge , it's marginal on running away shots on big pigs and deer and getting the bullet through scrub even using a 100 grain bullet , I found that 308 is better with 144 to 165 grain bullets . A Browning BLR in 308 is a nice scrub gun to add to say a 243 bolt action with a bigger scope for longer range on dogs and goats .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bigrich » 28 Mar 2021, 5:20 pm

JohnV wrote:You can't go far wrong with a Vanguard or a Howa but I stopped using a 243 as a walk about stalking cartridge , it's marginal on running away shots on big pigs and deer and getting the bullet through scrub even using a 100 grain bullet , I found that 308 is better with 144 to 165 grain bullets . A Browning BLR in 308 is a nice scrub gun to add to say a 243 bolt action with a bigger scope for longer range on dogs and goats .

i'm inclined to agree that the 243 could be marginal in some circumstances . for long shots on goats or dogs i reckon it's spot on . i think i'd pick my shots on deer and big pigs carefully myself :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by ScottyD » 29 Mar 2021, 1:01 am

Thanks for the tips and advice guys, its really helping me to get some clarity.

A very decent bloke agreed to meet me at the range yesterday to discuss options and let me have a couple shots with a few of his rifles. I shot a 243 (American) and a 270 Win, which was really helpful. It was over a bench, which I understand is a worst case scenario with respect to felt recoil. I believe the 308 has marginally less recoil than the 270, and whilst the 270's recoil was a surprise, I didn't think it unbearable. At least now I can personally quantify what I can expect with these harder hitting rounds.

With this new experience, and given the comments here about the 308 perhaps being a more appropriate caliber for the type of shooting I'm likely to be experiencing, I'm starting to rethink my position. Perhaps I should go back to the idea of a 233 first, and then get something like a 308/270/etc on my next centrefire PTA. This pathway would help me get started with learning things like how to sight in my scope(s), develop some shooting skills with the negligible recoil and also get started on learning to reload before getting to the more expensive/serious ammunition of the bigger rounds.

The guy also had an X-Bolt there, and when I asked him about it, he said it was awesome. He loves it. So it looks like that's back on the table again too.

So now it seems I'm back where I started. At least now I'm more confident with what I'm grappling with this time around.
ScottyD
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by ScottyD » 29 Mar 2021, 1:07 am

ScottyD wrote:Thanks for the tips and advice guys, its really helping me to get some clarity.

A very decent bloke agreed to meet me at the range yesterday to discuss options and let me have a couple shots with a few of his rifles. I shot a 243 (American) and a 270 Win, which was really helpful. It was over a bench, which I understand is a worst case scenario with respect to felt recoil. I believe the 308 has marginally less recoil than the 270, and whilst the 270's recoil was a surprise, I didn't think it unbearable. At least now I can personally quantify what I can expect with these harder hitting rounds.

With this new experience, and given the comments here about the 308 perhaps being a more appropriate caliber for the type of shooting I'm likely to be experiencing, I'm starting to rethink my position. Perhaps I should go back to the idea of a 233 first, and then get something like a 308/270/etc on my next centrefire PTA. This pathway would help me get started with learning things like how to sight in my scope(s), develop some shooting skills with the negligible recoil and also get started on learning to reload before getting to the more expensive/serious ammunition of the bigger rounds.

The guy also had an X-Bolt there, and when I asked him about it, he said it was awesome. He loves it. So it looks like that's back on the table again too.

So now it seems I'm back where I started. At least now I'm more confident with what I'm grappling with this time around.

I forgot to mention I'd keep the use of a 223 to the range and hunting more open ground down lower around our property (on dogs and foxes etc) :problem:
ScottyD
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 29 Mar 2021, 7:59 am

to scottyd , i've tried lots of calibers , and it's not a bad thing to "work up" as you get more experience . 243 is a capable caliber with moderate recoil, you just have to place your shots in certain circumstances . if i was heading to ridge country with goats and other ferals of similar size , a 243 would be my pick . for areas that maybe have open fields that need more reach to carry further , or large deer and pigs , i've got a 270 win with a 3-9x40 scope for the job . scrubby situations with the possibility of large boar i take my 358 win with low power scope .
i've got the "golf bag" where i have different rifles for different country .different tools for different jobs.

in reallity i should just get a 308 for the lot . but that would be boring ..... ;)

i guess it comes down to the country you hunt and the game in it . a true capable light weight would be a synthetic tikka t3 in 243

hope some of this helps , cheers
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 29 Mar 2021, 8:46 am

I'll say it again.
222, 223, 243, 308, 30-06, 270. They are popular for a reason.

Most suggest buying a 223 first.
But you could buy big first e.g. 270. You can still shoot foxes with a 270. Then get a 223 later.

270 is mild to shoot, unless loaded to max pressures. Ammo cost may be an issue tho.

Forgot to mention.

When you go hunting and your after foxes and take the 223. What else might you see? Oops a 27" sambar stag, oops or 4 Reds & I only have my 223. Sheesh.

Has happened to me 3 times now, (sh1t) so I'm starting to go fox whistling with the 30-06 now in some places. Maybe one gun for everything aint so silly.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 29 Mar 2021, 9:16 am

Oldbloke wrote:
When you go hunting and your after foxes and take the 223. What else might you see? Oops a 27" sambar stag, oops or 4 Reds & I only have my 223. Sheesh.

Has happened to me 3 times now, (sh1t) so I'm starting to go fox whistling with the 30-06 now in some places. Maybe one gun for everything aint so silly.

:lol: i bin caught out like that myself OB . had my 222 on me when i needed more :roll:
sounds like where you hunt, with the possibility of sambar , a 270 , 30-06 is the perfect "all rounder" .

most of the areas/game i've hunted, a 243 would've done the job . my 270's added insurance (but burns a bit more powder) , my 358 within 150/100 yards is just fun :D
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Bugman » 29 Mar 2021, 12:46 pm

A mate has bought the Howa in 243 and is currently working on suitable loads. It will be interesting to see how it performs.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 29 Mar 2021, 1:41 pm

It was a right bastard to pass up a shot at a nice head. And a very easy one at that. Been a long time since I scored one.

Next week I'm taking the 30-06. You never, never know.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by N.Field » 30 Mar 2021, 12:38 pm

Of course there are options other than those already discussed. I've been very happy with this Voere Model 2165.

There's a review here: http://www.sportingshooter.com.au/news/ ... er-sporter
Last edited by N.Field on 30 Mar 2021, 5:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
N.Field
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Bugman » 30 Mar 2021, 3:43 pm

Can't open the image. DOH!
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by N.Field » 30 Mar 2021, 4:58 pm

Bugman wrote:Can't open the image. DOH!

How is it now?
N.Field
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Lorgar » 01 Apr 2021, 12:18 pm

Oldbloke wrote:When you go hunting and your after foxes and take the 223. What else might you see? Oops a 27" sambar stag, oops or 4 Reds & I only have my 223. Sheesh.

That was my problem. Back in in the day I had a .243 loaded with 80gr pills, and a .308 with 150gr.

A pest/small game rifle, and a larger game rifle was the thinking.

But it was endless thinking of what if I see X while with the smaller rifle, do I bring both, will just bring the .308 varminting and live with the overkill, etc. etc. etc.

More of a pain in the ass than anything, TBH.

I split the difference, sold them both and replaced with a 7mm-08. Legal for everything. Now just carry a handful of heavier pill loads when out varminting instead of the need for an additional rifle.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Bugman » 01 Apr 2021, 12:53 pm

I see it now. Fine bit of kit. :)
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Larry » 01 Apr 2021, 4:44 pm

Lorgar wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:When you go hunting and your after foxes and take the 223. What else might you see? Oops a 27" sambar stag, oops or 4 Reds & I only have my 223. Sheesh.

That was my problem. Back in in the day I had a .243 loaded with 80gr pills, and a .308 with 150gr.

But it was endless thinking of what if I see X while with the smaller rifle, do I bring both, will just bring the .308 varminting and live with the overkill, etc. etc. etc.

I split the difference, sold them both and replaced with a 7mm-08. Legal for everything. Now just carry a handful of heavier pill loads when out varminting instead of the need for an additional rifle.

I understand the quandary that you can get into. Been there done that. But the brutal truth is you can never have too many irons in the fire or guns in the safe.

Its a bit like fishing you dont go after snapper and hope you may get a flathead on the off chance. Br a man make a decision and live with it.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by bigrich » 01 Apr 2021, 5:26 pm

Lorgar wrote:

i'm looking at trying 95 grain SST's and nosler bt's (partition's are too expensive for me) in the 243 as a do all load . i own larger calibers , but in a rethink i'm starting to wonder if a form of "magnumitis" hasn't crept into my thinking (no , not the ice cream addiction :lol: )

when i think about all the game i've shot over the last few years ,goats and small/medium size pigs , i reckon the 243 could've done the lot comfortably
bullet placement being optimum , there's probably not much ya can't take down with a 243
for a long time kiwi's culled large red deer with headshots from 222's . just sayin :unknown:

opinion's ;)
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 01 Apr 2021, 5:39 pm

The way I look at a 243 is it is a varmint cartridge .
If you want to shoot medium game go 6.5 and upwards that's just my opinion I got to say this the 243 is the best varmint cartridge I have ever used a lot more destructive than a 22 250 and easier on the years , paddock pizza from one end of the joint the other
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 01 Apr 2021, 6:48 pm

deye243 wrote:The way I look at a 243 is it is a varmint cartridge .
If you want to shoot medium game go 6.5 and upwards that's just my opinion I got to say this the 243 is the best varmint cartridge I have ever used a lot more destructive than a 22 250 and easier on the years , paddock pizza from one end of the joint the other

I have shot lots of pigs and goats with a 243, pretty handy varmint cartridge.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 01 Apr 2021, 8:00 pm

SCJ429 wrote:
deye243 wrote:The way I look at a 243 is it is a varmint cartridge .

I have shot lots of pigs and goats with a 243, pretty handy varmint cartridge.

i've looked over old posts on this topic, "rod outback" (haven't heard from him in a while) reckoned the 243 "farm gun" had done for heaps of pigs and goats . i got a mate who's taken out a few red deer with 87 vmax out of 243 . i reckon a 95 gn sst would work even better .i've got a 270 win , but i'm wondering if a 243 isn't more practicle for most of my hunting :unknown: . i've got my 358 win for stalking pigs around creeks :D
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 03 Apr 2021, 12:11 pm

Lorgar wrote:

Probably the best solution (7-08). 7x57 would also be a good option.
I had two 30-06s. And didn't want to sell the old one. Little room in the safe to.

My solution was buy a scope for the old
30-06 and a mild load with 130gr bullets as a general centrefire, but deer legal. And retain the other 30-06 as a deer specific rifle with 180gr bullet. Not ideal but provides a bit of choice depending on locality and animal targeted.

Problem with 7mm is bullet cost.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 03 Apr 2021, 4:46 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
Lorgar wrote:

Probably the best solution (7-08). 7x57 would also be a good option.
I had two 30-06s. And didn't want to sell the old one. Little room in the safe to.

My solution was buy a scope for the old
30-06 and a mild load with 130gr bullets as a general centrefire, but deer legal. And retain the other 30-06 as a deer specific rifle with 180gr bullet. Not ideal but provides a bit of choice depending on locality and animal targeted.

Problem with 7mm is bullet cost.

horses for coarses OB . biggest deer up here in QLD are reds, 243 is doable with proper shot placement .with ya sambar down there a bigger caliber makes sense
i bin reading a lot on the subject of suitable calibers in this country , found a lot of older information . most common caliber used for pigs and deer of all sizes back when , 303-25 with a 85gn projectile :unknown: what replaced it ?, 243
just sayin :D

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 03 Apr 2021, 7:48 pm

303, shot heaps.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bugman » 04 Apr 2021, 8:04 pm

Have you made up your mind yet, ScottyD?
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by ScottyD » 17 Apr 2021, 8:42 am

Hey guys, thanks so much for all the excellent comments and tips. This forum is brilliant.

I have finally stopped stuffing around and made a decision.

After taking on board all your thoughts/advice, talking with other experienced shooters and shooting some different calibers for myself, I’ve committed to the slower route of a .223 first. I figure I’ll definitely be getting (a couple) larger caliber rifles in the not too distant future anyway, and as Bigrich mentioned, one gun to do everything would be boring.

So in case you’re curious, for my three PTAs (2xAs & 1xB), I’ve just put down deposits on a Styer Zephyr 2 in .22LR and a Frachi Horizon in .223 (the cammo version with cerakote barrel/action). I’m also intending to put down a deposit on a Styer LG110 High Power air rifle in .22 this week. I can’t wait to get stuck in.

Now, if they would just hurry up with the bloody PTAs ...
ScottyD
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 17 Apr 2021, 8:55 am

ScottyD wrote:Hey guys, thanks so much for all the excellent comments and tips. This forum is brilliant.

I have finally stopped stuffing around and made a decision.

After taking on board all your thoughts/advice, talking with other experienced shooters and shooting some different calibers for myself, I’ve committed to the slower route of a .223 first. I figure I’ll definitely be getting (a couple) larger caliber rifles in the not too distant future anyway, and as Bigrich mentioned, one gun to do everything would be boring.

So in case you’re curious, for my three PTAs (2xAs & 1xB), I’ve just put down deposits on a Styer Zephyr 2 in .22LR and a Frachi Horizon in .223 (the cammo version with cerakote barrel/action). I’m also intending to put down a deposit on a Styer LG110 High Power air rifle in .22 this week. I can’t wait to get stuck in.

Now, if they would just hurry up with the bloody PTAs ...

congrats on your purchases scottyd . as for air rifles, check out weihrauch . great bits of gear . i got back into this sport/hobby about five years ago , and as i went along my expectations of use, suitable caliber and performance didn't match with reality at times . some calibers/rifles are talked up , and or , talked down .
go into this with a open mind scottyd as your experiences progress so will your views and opinions :thumbsup:

and don't listen too much to people on online forums , some are over opinionated crackpots :P

:lol: :lol: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Centerfire rifles