Time for a 243 (at last)

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Time for a 243 (at last)

Post by ScottyD » 23 Mar 2021, 7:03 pm

I’ve finally put my first PTAs in (2 x As & 1 x B), and so I need to pull my finger out and pick something.

I’m going for a .243 as my first centrefire, and am struggling to choose between the following options:

1. Sako S20
2. Model 70 (loving the Supergrade)
3. X-Bolt
4. Vanguard
5. Styer Scout (seems like a versatile, if expensive, option)

It will mostly be used for foxes, dogs and pigs, in terrain from wide open hilly to mountainous close scrub (at least until I get some sort of scrub gun, maybe 30 30 lever action, unless i go for the scout rifle option)

Anyway, I’d welcome any tips/opinions/advice/comments anyone could provide.

Cheers
ScottyD
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: Time for a 243 (at last)

Post by SCJ429 » 23 Mar 2021, 7:23 pm

My vote is for the Sako, do yourself a favour and steer clear of the Browning. My 243 is a Tikka so I have voted with my feet. If you are considering the Vanguard, why not look at the sister rifle, Howa.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 23 Mar 2021, 7:29 pm

I have a model 70 Supergrade mate, not in 243, nevertheless it’s a nice bit of kit and a real shooter now I have my reloads dialled in.
Maybe consider the Tikka if just for hunting, maybe the Lithgow if you might punch a bit of paper too.
Last edited by JimTom on 23 Mar 2021, 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Shootermick » 23 Mar 2021, 7:29 pm

Not on your list, but last year I bought a Ruger American Compact in 243. It’s definitely at the cheaper end of the scale, but it’s a really great rifle. Got a Leupold 4-12x40 on top and it’s nice and short, light and handy. I’ve got three Rugers now, and a few years ago I wasn’t a fan, until I bought my first one, then I realised how good they are. Not flash or expensive, but they just work, and work really well.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by ScottyD » 23 Mar 2021, 7:57 pm

SCJ429 wrote:My vote is for the Sako, do yourself a favour and steer clear of the Browning. My 243 is a Tikka so I have voted with my feet. If you are considering the Vanguard, why not look at the sister rifle, Howa.

Thanks mate, and that’s the second time I’ve heard someone not rate the Brownings.

For some reason I can’t put my finger on, the Tikkas don’t seem to gel with me. They just didn’t feel right when I handled a couple.

I agonised over the Howas for a while. I was focussed on the 1500 in .223 and APC chassis for a time. I understand they’re good quality and accurate, but I read the Houge stocks should be avoided. Maybe one in a decent stock (Boyd’s?) could be another option :problem:
ScottyD
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by ScottyD » 23 Mar 2021, 8:04 pm

JimTom wrote:I have a model 70 Supergreen mate, not in 243, nevertheless it’s a nice bit of kit and a real shooter now I have my reloads dialled in.
Maybe consider the Tikka if just for hunting, maybe the Lithgow if you might punch a bit of paper too.

Thanks Jim Tom, I have been drooling a fair bit over the Model 70s. My sensible side has me looking at the stainless & synthetic options, but my shallow side is slapping me across the back of the head and pointing at the Supergrades. They all are beautiful though, and at this point could be the strongest competition to the Sako.

Again, the Tikkas don’t seem to be my thing, but the Lithgows are pretty cool(I only discounted those due to weight)
ScottyD
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by ScottyD » 23 Mar 2021, 8:13 pm

Shootermick wrote:Not on your list, but last year I bought a Ruger American Compact in 243. It’s definitely at the cheaper end of the scale, but it’s a really great rifle. Got a Leupold 4-12x40 on top and it’s nice and short, light and handy. I’ve got three Rugers now, and a few years ago I wasn’t a fan, until I bought my first one, then I realised how good they are. Not flash or expensive, but they just work, and work really well.

Thanks Shootermick

Yes i like the Rugers, especially the Gunsite Scouts and other 77s (was looking hard at the Precision Rimfire for a while). I’d removed the American from the list due to my perception of them being at the cheaper end of the spectrum, with the suspected compromises that would entail. I admit this is probably an incorrect prejudice to hold on to, since I’ve heard/read plenty of positive opinions of them.
ScottyD
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 23 Mar 2021, 8:18 pm

Although i have never handled a sako s20 cant say that im a huge fan give me the 85 any day great rifle well finished and stupidly accurate. Was my first rifle and love them dearly
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 23 Mar 2021, 8:45 pm

Well scottyD, it’d be sako 85 if quality is what you want, model 70 for the middle road, but the vanguard are outstanding value for money. They are better finished than a howa. I have a vanguard in 223 , and it’s accurate and reliable. Flat bottomed receiver for easy bedding ( just like a model 70) , and they have a reliable action with a trigger that can easily be tweaked
Any of these three ya can’t go wrong. Just depends on ya budget. Don’t forget to put a quality scope on it . Vx3 3-9x40 leupold for hunting is my pick

Good luck and enjoy your purchase whichever way ya go
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by ScottyD » 23 Mar 2021, 8:55 pm

AZZA'S HJ47 wrote:Although i have never handled a sako s20 cant say that im a huge fan give me the 85 any day great rifle well finished and stupidly accurate. Was my first rifle and love them dearly

Thanks Azza’s HJ47

I read the 85s ejected rounds can hit the scope sometimes :allegedly:

Have you experienced this at all?
ScottyD
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by ScottyD » 23 Mar 2021, 9:01 pm

bigrich wrote:Well scottyD, it’d be sako 85 if quality is what you want, model 70 for the middle road, but the vanguard are outstanding value for money. They are better finished than a howa. I have a vanguard in 223 , and it’s accurate and reliable. Flat bottomed receiver for easy bedding ( just like a model 70) , and they have a reliable action with a trigger that can easily be tweaked
Any of these three ya can’t go wrong. Just depends on ya budget. Don’t forget to put a quality scope on it . Vx3 3-9x40 leupold for hunting is my pick

Good luck and enjoy your purchase whichever way ya go

Hi bigrich, thanks for that.

Another vote for the 85, I might have to get a closer look at them (I’m hoping to go shoulder an S20 tomorrow, so I’ll look at the 85 if they have one). Have you experienced ejected cases hitting your scope on an 85? Is it actually a thing?

And yes, I’m trying to budget for a reasonable quality scope (I do like the Leupolds).
ScottyD
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 23 Mar 2021, 9:08 pm

I have 3 243 rifles. A howa, sauer and a browning lever. I would not bother with the x bolt. Don’t know anything about the others U mentioned
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 23 Mar 2021, 9:11 pm

If u are going to reload remember the vmax 87. Boat tail easy for reloading. Cheap accurate versatile and punches above its weight
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 23 Mar 2021, 9:36 pm

ScottyD wrote:
AZZA'S HJ47 wrote:Although i have never handled a sako s20 cant say that im a huge fan give me the 85 any day great rifle well finished and stupidly accurate. Was my first rifle and love them dearly

Thanks Azza’s HJ47

I have heard of this however i have never personally experienced it. I have heard that the ejection issues is predominantly caused by the scopes being mounted mm's away fron the reciever. I just wish that i had more of the Sako 85's just a hard thing to pass up.

They are just perfectly set up top round top up of the mag the mag is flush with the bottom of the stock.

Smooth as silk and i cant say ive ever had a issue with cycling the action/feeding.

Also have a look at the sako A7 line they sit in the middle of tikka and sako. Plastic mag and trigger guard but a great rifle none the less.
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by ScottyD » 23 Mar 2021, 9:37 pm

Blr243 wrote:I have 3 243 rifles. A howa, sauer and a browning lever. I would not bother with the x bolt. Don’t know anything about the others U mentioned

Ok, three strikes on the Browning, looks like that one is out of the race.

Thanks Blr243
ScottyD
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by ScottyD » 23 Mar 2021, 9:39 pm

Blr243 wrote:If u are going to reload remember the vmax 87. Boat tail easy for reloading. Cheap accurate versatile and punches above its weight

I will have to learn about reloading, I’ll keep that in mind. Thanks for that. :thumbsup:
ScottyD
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by ScottyD » 23 Mar 2021, 9:44 pm

AZZA'S HJ47 wrote:
ScottyD wrote:

Thanks Azza’s HJ47

I have heard of this however i have never personally experienced it. I have heard that the ejection issues is predominantly caused by the scopes being mounted mm's away fron the reciever. I just wish that i had more of the Sako 85's just a hard thing to pass up.

They are just perfectly set up top round top up of the mag the mag is flush with the bottom of the stock.

Smooth as silk and i cant say ive ever had a issue with cycling the action/feeding.

Also have a look at the sako A7 line they sit in the middle of tikka and sako. Plastic mag and trigger guard but a great rifle none the less.

Hmmm, ok. I’m getting pretty curious about the 85s now. I’ll be shooting at the Seaham range a fair bit, so the single top feeding would come in handy there too. I’ll have a closer look at them, as well as the A7 now.

Thanks for that
ScottyD
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Lebner » 24 Mar 2021, 3:42 am

What's the problems with the xbolt? I had a model 70 and compared to the xbolt I have now it was a piece of junk, poor accuracy and nowhere near as smooth to operate!
Lebner
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 24 Mar 2021, 5:21 am

Scotty I was also going to suggest the Sako A7. I have one of those and it is my favourite rifles out of the lot. Magazine is removable or you can top load if you wish. Beautiful trigger and action, accurate straight from the box.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 24 Mar 2021, 5:37 am

Lebner wrote:What's the problems with the xbolt? I had a model 70 and compared to the xbolt I have now it was a piece of junk, poor accuracy and nowhere near as smooth to operate!

I favour older model 70’s made from the early 70’s to mid 80’s . I’ve a 358 and a 222, and the accuracy is awesome, with smooth, reliable action
I had a late 2000’s build rifle and it was accurate and very well made, but I didn’t feed well at times. It was the CRF model, which the case doesn’t clip in under the extractor as positively as a m17 or k98.
With regards to the sako A7 , I had one of those in 308. It was slick, accurate, great trigger. But for me synthetic rifles have no “soul”
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 24 Mar 2021, 5:48 am

My comment about not bothering with the x bolt has nothing to with negative experience I just never hear anybody rave about them
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Bugman » 24 Mar 2021, 6:22 am

I have a Vanguard in 243. Suits me down to the ground. Reliable, light and very accurate with my favourite load. Really like the Sako's but a tad pricey for me.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Lebner » 24 Mar 2021, 9:16 am

I've had my hells canyon for about 12 months and I love it!! Silky smooth, feels great in hand, super accurate, doesnt feel cheap like laminate t3's and just a joy to shoot. If I was in the market for another CF rifle I wouldnt hesitate to buy another. My model 70 was bought new in 2007
Lebner
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Bello » 24 Mar 2021, 9:52 am

Hi Mate
I have a 243 in sako.
Cant fault it.
Mine is a laminated stainless, accurate as. Lovely smooth action.
Just a little heavy for a walk around all day gun.
The S20 looks good and light.
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 24 Mar 2021, 1:32 pm

Have a look at this review on the A20 if interested mate.

https://youtu.be/XGyWNQpG6-Q
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 24 Mar 2021, 3:36 pm

This bloke had better luck with accuracy on a S20 but was played with a heap of feed issues i'd expect a hell of a lot more for a rifle of this price
It is a long vid
https://youtu.be/Ie5V9NFluTM
Last edited by deye243 on 24 Mar 2021, 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by ScottyD » 24 Mar 2021, 9:01 pm

Well I handled an S20 today (Hunter version). Have to say I liked how it felt. I was worried about people’s suggestions that they’re cheap and plastiky, but I didn’t find it too bad. Weight felt good and came to my shoulder nicely. I think it’s definitely the front runner at the moment.

I’ve seen the two recommended YouTube videos (thanks guys) pointing out accuracy and feed issues on their respective S20s, which does concern me. I don’t know if theirs were one offs, since I’ve also seen a number of other reviews where they had no such issues.

Unfortunately they didn’t have any 85s or A7s, nor any Model 70s, so I couldn’t compare any of those. They said there aren’t any Styer Scouts available in 243, which gells with the story I’d heard about he scouts being discontinued (I think there’s a second hand one on the SSAA gun sales site, but think price still a bit steep)

A workmate of mine reckons he knows a good gunsmith, and I’ve asked him to find out his opinion on the X-Bolts. Lebner seems pretty happy with his (thanks for the opinion mate), and they did feel reasonably good when I handled one.

I’m also still sort of mulling over the Howa option, in some sort of decent stock. Would something like that start to get a bit heavy for carrying around up in the hills though?
ScottyD
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 25 Mar 2021, 5:06 am

ScottyD wrote: Would something like that start to get a bit heavy for carrying around up in the hills though?

Depends on how fit you are really. My grandfather used to tell me about carrying Bren guns in new Guinean during WW2. Then I’ve had mates bitch about carrying anything heavier than a Tikka T3 :roll:

My only advice to you would be take your time and try as many different rifles as you can on for size
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by ScottyD » 25 Mar 2021, 9:12 pm

bigrich wrote:
ScottyD wrote: Would something like that start to get a bit heavy for carrying around up in the hills though?

Depends on how fit you are really. My grandfather used to tell me about carrying Bren guns in new Guinean during WW2. Then I’ve had mates bitch about carrying anything heavier than a Tikka T3 :roll:

My only advice to you would be take your time and try as many different rifles as you can on for size

Good call, thanks bigrich :thumbsup:
ScottyD
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 25 Mar 2021, 9:48 pm

bigrich wrote:

I walked and stalked with a sako 242 Varmint for a couple of years i didn't think it was that bad. I am a rather large Human though.
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles