Experiences bench shooting scoped 1894C

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Experiences bench shooting scoped 1894C

Post by Tubs » 09 Apr 2021, 2:29 pm

boingk wrote:
Tubs wrote:experiment with trail boss.

Alternatively, just eyeball it and listen for the rustle of loose powder in a loaded round. .

Hey mate, Ive got so many 158gn rnfp jhp's I need to get them working. Got trial loads with 11gn 2205 and 4.6gn Trailboss. Using 38 special first so I dont use as much powder.

Just got my 125gn cast/coated rnfp's, will try same load-out and see how it does also.

Ended up ordering a skinners express - I have essentially given up on the 357 as a bunny gun so no need to scope it, can use it to better effect elsewhere.
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by simmo » 12 Apr 2021, 11:41 pm

Tubs wrote:Hi Simmo,

Good to hear, yes, v interested to see how u go. Shooting a carbine seems part art and part science.

Next attempt for me is loading up some of my 158 JHPs into a 38 special +P load, as well as continuing to experiment with trail boss.

Im also expecting some lighter 125's to arrive this week so will see how I go with that at some point.

Final decision may be to remove the scope and put a Skinners sight on it.

So much to do, so little time!

Okay, so

Got out for an afternoon over the long weekend and played with 158gnS&B. At 50m they were dropping about 35-40cm from point of aim :lol:

So I’m going to be doing some reloading and see if I can get a better results with both 158gn and 125 when they arrive.

I’ll be sure to get some photos next time.
simmo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Tubs » 14 Apr 2021, 3:48 pm

simmo wrote:

Good to hear, yes, v interested to see how u go. Shooting a carbine seems part art and part science.

Next attempt for me is loading up some of my 158 JHPs into a 38 special +P load, as well as continuing to experiment with trail boss.

Im also expecting some lighter 125's to arrive this week so will see how I go with that at some point.

Okay, so

Got out for an afternoon over the long weekend and played with 158gnS&B. At 50m they were dropping about 35-40cm from point of aim :lol:

So I’m going to be doing some reloading and see if I can get a better results with both 158gn and 125 when they arrive.

What powder and how much are you using?
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by simmo » 20 Apr 2021, 12:39 pm

Tubs wrote:
simmo wrote:

Okay, so

What powder and how much are you using?

Factory Sellier and Bellot with those results. I’m planning to buy some trailboss or AR2205 and start with loads from the ADI book. I wasn’t able to get any 125gn pils so Went with more 158’s. Will see if reloads work better with the 158s
simmo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by boingk » 20 Apr 2021, 9:49 pm

PM me your address and I'll send some 125 Berry's to play with when I'm home in a week.

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by Tubs » 28 Apr 2021, 6:25 pm

Just put a Skinners Express peep site on the 357. Will report back to confirm how it shoots......
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Tubs » 11 May 2021, 6:29 pm

simmo wrote:
Tubs wrote:Some interesting observations and a few questions too:

1. Front end of the rifle liked to lift on firing and send shots wild, holding the fore-end seemed to fix that
2. I fired off aprox 100 shots, all contained 4.5 gn of trailboss; 158 JHP, 158 Berrys Copper Washed, 125 Lead Round Flat Nose; very quiet! The Berrys seemed the most accurate. If Im going to hunt I guess Ill need to pick one and stick with it so I dont have to go nuts recentring my scope for each projectile type. There were massive variances between projectile types. Is this an idiosyncrasy of lever guns because I havent experienced it with bolt actions before. Nowhere near the accuracy of my 22 or 223. If I can punch all 10's at 50 on my 223 what would be considered normal performance for a 357 lever?
4. The trigger is neither good nor bad. It is heavy, could do with accurising (or would this be a waste of time)?

Maybe spending some time on one projectile type is necessary.

Any tips? I am a bit dissapointed - expected to at least hit the 10 ring a few times

Hey Tubs I’m in a similar situation as yourself having just brought my first lever rifle, like you a 1894C in .357Mag and playing with some factory ammo at the moment (158gn Sellier and Bellot). I’ll be reloading and will be very interested to see what kind of performance can be achieved with hand loaded 125gn Berry’s and even Hornady 140gn pils. My goal is to get 1-1.5 MoA at a 100m that is reasonably flat shooting. I’ll keep you posted on my progress if your interested.

Good news all. I ditched the scope for a Skinners Express Peep sight. Using 357 125gr Winchester JHP's i shot a 2-3 inch group straight off the bat offhand using full power loads. No flyers, no oddball shots. The 1894CS is NOT designed to wear a scope and prefers faster lighter bullets IMO. Thank you to @bladeracer who explained twist rates as they apply to bullet lengths. The 1894CS has a 1 in 16" twist so I went short and the results were fantastic.
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 13 May 2021, 4:24 pm

Tubs wrote:Good news all. I ditched the scope for a Skinners Express Peep sight. Using 357 125gr Winchester JHP's i shot a 2-3 inch group straight off the bat offhand using full power loads. No flyers, no oddball shots. The 1894CS is NOT designed to wear a scope and prefers faster lighter bullets IMO. Thank you to @bladeracer who explained twist rates as they apply to bullet lengths. The 1894CS has a 1 in 16" twist so I went short and the results were fantastic.

Awesome result!
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Tubs » 13 May 2021, 11:34 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Tubs wrote:Good news all. I ditched the scope for a Skinners Express Peep sight. Using 357 125gr Winchester JHP's i shot a 2-3 inch group straight off the bat offhand using full power loads. No flyers, no oddball shots. The 1894CS is NOT designed to wear a scope and prefers faster lighter bullets IMO. Thank you to @bladeracer who explained twist rates as they apply to bullet lengths. The 1894CS has a 1 in 16" twist so I went short and the results were fantastic.

Awesome result!

Cheers mate, I do wonder given the 1 in 16" twist why people shoot longer 158gr+ bullets with it. My next test is to test fire a mix of 38 special, Trailboss Loads, heavier 158gr pills etc to determine if the scope was soley responsible for previous poor performance.

The 1894 is a beast for throwing lead down close range at high speed. Havent had this much fun for as long as I can remember.
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by boingk » 16 May 2021, 10:56 pm

Thats the way mate!

Yeah the 125gn's in mine were a hoot. Almost regretting selling it but really want the upcoming LevTac 1892.

Let us know how the other loads go.
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by Biscuits » 22 May 2021, 12:56 am

I have a Marlin 1894 .357 with a 3MoA red dot sight on it. It's the CSBL so it doesn't look silly with a red dot.

Enjoy it for what it is, but don't shoot it benched with a scope as you will just end up disappointed compared to just about every bolt action rifle in the entire world. They are made for fast shooting standing up.
Biscuits
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Tubs » 25 May 2021, 5:35 pm

boingk wrote:Thats the way mate!

Yeah the 125gn's in mine were a hoot. Almost regretting selling it but really want the upcoming LevTac 1892.

Let us know how the other loads go.

Did you find 125's shot better? I am finding this, maybe because of the Ballard rifling?

I tried 158's, they dont group as well as 125's, but still much better through peep sights than the scope.
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by boingk » 09 Jun 2021, 12:18 am

Velocity of the 158's won't work too well with the limited case volume. I'd say 125-ish is the sweet spot for most reasonable velocities.

Interesting to see the scope didn't work terrily well. What was it and how was it mounted?

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by Tubs » 09 Jun 2021, 6:17 pm

boingk wrote:Velocity of the 158's won't work too well with the limited case volume. I'd say 125-ish is the sweet spot for most reasonable velocities.

Interesting to see the scope didn't work terrily well. What was it and how was it mounted?

- boingk

Weaver mounted 3-9 X 40 Nikko, as well as similar mag Vector optics. Fliers left right and centre....
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by boingk » 10 Jun 2021, 12:57 pm

It'd be interesting to see what it'd do with something like a Leupold or Bushnell. I've had some good Nikko's but I've also had some crap. Can't say I've used a Vector.

Perhaps a club member or mate can bring something to the range and see if that makes a difference?
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by Tubs » 10 Jun 2021, 3:33 pm

boingk wrote:It'd be interesting to see what it'd do with something like a Leupold or Bushnell. I've had some good Nikko's but I've also had some crap. Can't say I've used a Vector.

Perhaps a club member or mate can bring something to the range and see if that makes a difference?

I put the Nikko onto my Hatsan 22 and whoa la instant tack driver. It isnt the scope. I think the scope weight just interferes with the harmonics of the 357 barrel/gun.
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by boingk » 11 Jun 2021, 9:51 pm

That settles that then. Hmm. Oh well.

Meantime I'm working up a load for the 44 Mag lever action I bought. Its interesting seeing what she'll do with opens, but I'm not holding out much hope for a scope.
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by Tubs » 12 Jun 2021, 1:14 am

Skinners Express sight is a treat. You can change the aperture of the peep, v accurate...
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles