BLR or 7600

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

BLR or 7600

Post by Shootermick » 03 Apr 2021, 4:38 pm

What are peoples thoughts on either a BLR versus a 7600 in 308?
Anyone owned both?
Which do you prefer and why?
Shootermick
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 357
Victoria

Re: BLR or 7600

Post by deye243 » 03 Apr 2021, 4:41 pm

Blr any day of the week a lot more accurate and reliable 7600 is a clunker
deye243
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2
 
Posts: 1127
Victoria

Re: BLR or 7600

Post by Shootermick » 03 Apr 2021, 4:49 pm

deye243 wrote:Blr any day of the week a lot more accurate and reliable 7600 is a clunker



Yeah. I’ve got a 7600 already and I’m thinking of selling it for a BLR. That’s where the question has come from. I’m with you on the clunker type action, I just haven’t warmed to the 7600 like I expected I would.
Shootermick
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 357
Victoria

Re: BLR or 7600

Post by CAVEMAN » 03 Apr 2021, 5:18 pm

Ill raise you the henry. I've never seen one in the flesh but they look the goods.

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/the-long-ranger/
"Well if it ain't an 8 inch, i'm not paying"

Some guy on the internet circa 2020
User avatar
CAVEMAN
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
 
Posts: 236
Queensland

Re: BLR or 7600

Post by Shootermick » 03 Apr 2021, 5:21 pm

CAVEMAN wrote:Ill raise you the henry. I've never seen one in the flesh but they look the goods.

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/the-long-ranger/



I’ve got a couple of Henry’s and really like them, but they’re thin on the ground at the moment.
Shootermick
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 357
Victoria

Re: BLR or 7600

Post by Blr243 » 03 Apr 2021, 5:29 pm

I have the blr in 243. Everything except for the trigger is fine. It’s capable of sub moa groups but I upgraded to a bolt action sauer to get a good trigger on my main hunting rifle .....afterwards I bought a 7600 in 308 It’s trigger was horrible too but it’s greatly improved with a cheap gunbloke light spring .......I have not used the 7600 in the field long enough to describe it better. I hope to give it a good run in the bush in a month when I take a break from work
Blr243
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Posts: 3091
Queensland

Re: BLR or 7600

Post by in2anity » 03 Apr 2021, 5:29 pm

Trigger on the 7600 is more desirable, but the BLR will stretch out better.
At what point does a lack of maintenance become "patena"?
User avatar
in2anity
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
 
Posts: 2220
New South Wales

Re: BLR or 7600

Post by Shootermick » 03 Apr 2021, 5:52 pm

Blr243 wrote:I have the blr in 243. Everything except for the trigger is fine. It’s capable of sub moa groups but I upgraded to a bolt action sauer to get a good trigger on my main hunting rifle .....afterwards I bought a 7600 in 308 It’s trigger was horrible too but it’s greatly improved with a cheap gunbloke light spring .......I have not used the 7600 in the field long enough to describe it better. I hope to give it a good run in the bush in a month when I take a break from work


So do you have a preference between the BLR and the 7600 as a rifle? Even though you’ve got different calibers in the two.
I don’t really know if I’m achieving anything if I turn the 7600 into a BLR.? I’m not as precious about the 7600 as it’s pretty knock about, maybe I’m just inventing another way to blow some cash for no real advantage.
Shootermick
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 357
Victoria

Re: BLR or 7600

Post by Blr243 » 03 Apr 2021, 6:50 pm

The blr feels nicer in the hands , but the pistol gripped 7600 comes to the shoulder a bit faster ....others may disagree. Misght be a personal preference thing
Blr243
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Posts: 3091
Queensland

Re: BLR or 7600

Post by boingk » 03 Apr 2021, 9:18 pm

What do you want from the rifle?

Both are aesthetic, ergonomic and emotional choices as far as I'm concerned.

If you're after something that shoots well, is reliable, cost efficient and weather resistant then get a synthetic Howa / Ruger / Tikka and go from there.

I'm partial to the Ruger American Compact in 308 with an 18" barrel. Compact, very light, standard flush-fit rotary mag with Lucky 13 offering a lovely and well priced 10 rounder, what more do you want? Oh yes, the tan stock with longer pull-length from the 'Ranch' variant... as I have mine fitted out, heh heh.

If levers and pumps are your jam then no issues, thats the way it is. Personally I like levers and bolts.

The real question is why not a 35 Whelen in the Remington, or 45-70 in a Marlin 1895 lever?

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 335
Other

Re: BLR or 7600

Post by Shootermick » 03 Apr 2021, 9:48 pm

boingk wrote:What do you want from the rifle?

Both are aesthetic, ergonomic and emotional choices as far as I'm concerned.

If you're after something that shoots well, is reliable, cost efficient and weather resistant then get a synthetic Howa / Ruger / Tikka and go from there.

I'm partial to the Ruger American Compact in 308 with an 18" barrel. Compact, very light, standard flush-fit rotary mag with Lucky 13 offering a lovely and well priced 10 rounder, what more do you want? Oh yes, the tan stock with longer pull-length from the 'Ranch' variant... as I have mine fitted out, heh heh.

If levers and pumps are your jam then no issues, thats the way it is. Personally I like levers and bolts.

The real question is why not a 35 Whelen in the Remington, or 45-70 in a Marlin 1895 lever?

- boingk


I’ve got a Ruger American Compact in 243, and it’s an awesome rifle, punches well above its price bracket if you ask me. Does everything I need it to do, and I don’t really need anything bigger in a scoped bolt action than the 243,
The 308 would be more for quicker close range shots, and let’s be honest, just some fun too. I’ve already got a few levers and think I’ve convinced myself to offload the 7600 and replace it with a BLR.

I did wonder to myself about a 45-70 too, and put up a recent post on here looking for opinions. But I’ve got a 336 in 30-30 and so I thought something that still hits hard but shoots flatter might be a better proposition. So 308 in a lever with the box mag is ticking all the boxes.
Shootermick
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 357
Victoria

Re: BLR or 7600

Post by boingk » 03 Apr 2021, 10:33 pm

Shootermick wrote:See above.


Ah, very good. Fair choice for the 308 then.

Of course, you could go the 35 Whelen. Its a 30-06 necked up to 357 diameter, launching 180gn .357" projectiles about the 3000fps mark.

There are several in Remington 7600 on UsedGuns around the $1200 mark.

Good God, now I'm considering one...

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 335
Other

Re: BLR or 7600

Post by Shootermick » 03 Apr 2021, 10:46 pm

boingk wrote:
Shootermick wrote:See above.


Ah, very good. Fair choice for the 308 then.

Of course, you could go the 35 Whelen. Its a 30-06 necked up to 357 diameter, launching 180gn .357" projectiles about the 3000fps mark.

There are several in Remington 7600 on UsedGuns around the $1200 mark.

Good God, now I'm considering one...

- boingk



Nothing wrong with a 7600 at all. It probably is just a matter of personal preference.
I just have a preference towards levers.
The 7600 has a certain industrial type strength about it and would no doubt takes the knocks better than the timber stocked BLR. But at the end of the day they are both just a fairly quick cycling 308.
Shootermick
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 357
Victoria

Re: BLR or 7600

Post by bigpete » 03 Apr 2021, 11:41 pm

boingk wrote:
Shootermick wrote:See above.


Ah, very good. Fair choice for the 308 then.

Of course, you could go the 35 Whelen. Its a 30-06 necked up to 357 diameter, launching 180gn .357" projectiles about the 3000fps mark.

There are several in Remington 7600 on UsedGuns around the $1200 mark.

Good God, now I'm considering one...

- boingk


Actually .358 diameter projectiles....
bigpete
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet
 
Posts: 1815
South Australia

Re: BLR or 7600

Post by wanneroo » 04 Apr 2021, 12:01 am

The BLR is a fine rifle and shoots very well. You can't really go wrong with it.
wanneroo
Sergeant
Sergeant
 
Posts: 689
United States of America

Re: BLR or 7600

Post by Bugman » 04 Apr 2021, 10:15 am

Had a BLR many moons ago and I agree, it was a really good rifle. Well built and reliable.
User avatar
Bugman
Sergeant
Sergeant
 
Posts: 523
New South Wales

Re: BLR or 7600

Post by GQshayne » 04 Apr 2021, 7:28 pm

In my view, with the BLR, the older the better. Mine was made by FN in Belgium in 1973. I paid $100 more for it than the cost of a new one. The new one was nicely balanced and nothing wrong with it really, but that old full steel action on the FN was better. And being a second hand item, it had a nice trigger job done on it.

Magazines are as rare as er, early BLR magazines. :roll:
GQshayne
Sergeant
Sergeant
 
Posts: 576
Queensland

Re: BLR or 7600

Post by Wm.Traynor » 06 Apr 2021, 2:43 pm

GQshayne wrote:In my view, with the BLR, the older the better. Mine was made by FN in Belgium in 1973. I paid $100 more for it than the cost of a new one. The new one was nicely balanced and nothing wrong with it really, but that old full steel action on the FN was better. And being a second hand item, it had a nice trigger job done on it.

Magazines are as rare as er, early BLR magazines. :roll:


GQshayne might be on to something about the triggers. Triggers in both my Old BLRs were very good after 'smithing. Reports/rumours(?) about modern ones say they cannot be improved. They were both a bitch to clean, just like my present 7600, which has a very good trigger! :o Reports say the triggers are terrible. Like everything for sale, it is the luck of the draw.
Wm.Traynor
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2
 
Posts: 1148
Queensland

Re: BLR or 7600

Post by GQshayne » 08 Apr 2021, 9:22 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:
GQshayne wrote:In my view, with the BLR, the older the better. Mine was made by FN in Belgium in 1973. I paid $100 more for it than the cost of a new one. The new one was nicely balanced and nothing wrong with it really, but that old full steel action on the FN was better. And being a second hand item, it had a nice trigger job done on it.

Magazines are as rare as er, early BLR magazines. :roll:


GQshayne might be on to something about the triggers. Triggers in both my Old BLRs were very good after 'smithing. Reports/rumours(?) about modern ones say they cannot be improved. They were both a bitch to clean, just like my present 7600, which has a very good trigger! :o Reports say the triggers are terrible. Like everything for sale, it is the luck of the draw.


You may be right about the modern rifle triggers. Mine is good, and I had a job done on my cousins early 81 model, but I dunno about new ones.
GQshayne
Sergeant
Sergeant
 
Posts: 576
Queensland

Re: BLR or 7600

Post by wrenchman » 09 Apr 2021, 2:58 am

you might have a hard time finding a 7600 right now they are not back in production i like them both.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2
 
Posts: 1172
United States of America

Re: BLR or 7600

Post by Shootermick » 09 Apr 2021, 6:37 am

So i found a BLR. It’s a Lightning model in 308,
Just have to play the waiting game now while my permit is approved.
Shootermick
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 357
Victoria

Re: BLR or 7600

Post by Bill » 09 Apr 2021, 8:10 am

I cant believe anyone would put the mighty BLR in the same sentence as a noisy clunky 7600......

had a lightning 81 358 and took heaps of pigs with it, upgrade to BLR 358 takedown 7 or 8 years ago and its just a good thing. Both guns were bloody accurate.. :thumbsup:
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
User avatar
Bill
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
 
Posts: 927
New South Wales

Re: BLR or 7600

Post by in2anity » 09 Apr 2021, 8:37 am

I agree Bill - the BLR has way more potential for markmanship than the 7600. There are significantly less stresses coming from forend junk on the BLR, especially the variants without the barrel band.
At what point does a lack of maintenance become "patena"?
User avatar
in2anity
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
 
Posts: 2220
New South Wales

Re: BLR or 7600

Post by Shootermick » 09 Apr 2021, 11:16 am

Bill wrote:I cant believe anyone would put the mighty BLR in the same sentence as a noisy clunky 7600......

had a lightning 81 358 and took heaps of pigs with it, upgrade to BLR 358 takedown 7 or 8 years ago and its just a good thing. Both guns were bloody accurate.. :thumbsup:


Sounds good. I’m looking forward to getting my BLR and pretty sure I’ll be happy with my new toy.
Shootermick
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 357
Victoria

Re: BLR or 7600

Post by Wm.Traynor » 09 Apr 2021, 2:10 pm

Shootermick wrote:
Bill wrote:I cant believe anyone would put the mighty BLR in the same sentence as a noisy clunky 7600......

had a lightning 81 358 and took heaps of pigs with it, upgrade to BLR 358 takedown 7 or 8 years ago and its just a good thing. Both guns were bloody accurate.. :thumbsup:


Sounds good. I’m looking forward to getting my BLR and pretty sure I’ll be happy with my new toy.


We will all be interested to hear what you think of it. :)
Wm.Traynor
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2
 
Posts: 1148
Queensland


Back to top
 
Return to Centerfire rifles