Howa 1500 AICS mag well

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Howa 1500 AICS mag well

Post by CAVEMAN » 11 Apr 2021, 3:02 pm

Afternoon

I'm thinking about buying a Howa 1500 in 308. Initially I'm planning on just getting a Hogue stock model. But latter on I would like to drop it into a nicer timber stock with a AICS mag well.

I found the following one and wondering if anyone has an experience with them and what stocks factory or custom they fit.

https://www.atlasworxs.com/products/atl ... atherby-sa

Cheers all.
"Well if it ain't an 8 inch, i'm not paying"

Some guy on the internet circa 2020
CAVEMAN
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Howa 1500 AICS mag well

Post by Lsfan » 11 Apr 2021, 7:19 pm

CAVEMAN wrote:Afternoon

I'm thinking about buying a Howa 1500 in 308. Initially I'm planning on just getting a Hogue stock model. But latter on I would like to drop it into a nicer timber stock with a AICS mag well.

I found the following one and wondering if anyone has an experience with them and what stocks factory or custom they fit.

https://www.atlasworxs.com/products/atl ... atherby-sa

Cheers all.

I recently bought a howa 1500 in 223 with hogue stock and was also considering the mag conversion. I don’t want the legacy plastic one, but anything metal costs a fortune. I can’t bring myself to spending $300 on a $600 rifle. Seem to be advantages in having the internal one anyway. If the metal one was $150 including mag then I would. Just my thoughts.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by CAVEMAN » 11 Apr 2021, 7:40 pm

I already use the same pattern magazine in another rifle so that's not an issue. I like my rifles in a particular way so ill look at building this one up over time.

CAVEMAN
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by scoot » 11 Apr 2021, 8:47 pm

I have an atlasworx bottom metal on a rem700. My only complaint is the long mag release is easily bumped/knocked causing the mag to either fall out in the dirt or at least become "unlatched". It's probably a personal thing but I'm thinking about taking a bit off the end of the release latch. Other than that :thumbsup:
scoot
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by pomemax » 11 Apr 2021, 9:45 pm

I fitted 1 to a Howa .243 and though it was ok dropped the lot in an Blackhawk Axiom Stock
So I bought the mag well for a Howa 308 not so ok the 308 they tend not to flow out as easy looking for a nice stock for it too timber this time
still looking for one for my 7.62 x 39 Howa
as scoot says the release is on the long side drill a small hole in the bottom of the mag fit a key ring and short safety wire for in the scrub
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by CAVEMAN » 12 Apr 2021, 5:33 am

I only did just see that, it s quite a lengthy mag release.

CAVEMAN
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Centerfire rifles