winchester slug gun

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

winchester slug gun

Post by bigrich » 17 Apr 2021, 6:25 pm

hey fellas , i bin thinking about getting a old pre 1920's winchester in 32-20 or 44-40 . thinking i'll use soft loads with lead . or are these old timers still capable for hunting ? hornady xtp pistol hollow points in the 32-20 ?

i'm just after some opinions on this , pros and cons . traps to avoid , ect

thanks in advance :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: winchester slug gun

Post by boingk » 17 Apr 2021, 7:15 pm

Hi mate I've got a '92 in 32-20, serial indicates it was manufactured in 1906.

Nothing wrong with it. Perfectly fine to use, provided you're aware of its limitiations. I'm loading with 78gn round-nose from Black Widow with 2205 under ADI max loads. You can use small pistol primers if you want, but I'd advise small rifle as the old boltfaces and pins are not flush like the modern gear and there is primer distortion on firing on my example due to this.

I'm using Starline brass. Yes the necks are thing by modern standards but I have only binned one case so far and that was one I stood on by accident. No big deal.

The 85gn XTP hollowpoints work a treat in these by all accounts. I've found them to be accurate, just need to get way on a hunt!

CHeers - boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by LawrenceA » 17 Apr 2021, 7:32 pm

I expect you are talking a Model 92
Model 92's are arguably the slickest and easily smoothest.
However the venerable 92 was made in basically 2 lots the early ones were made for Black Powder only and CANNOT be used for smokeless.
The later ones are no problem with smokeless.
Paco Kelly has the info you seek.
https://leverguns.com/articles/paco/3220wcf.htm
https://leverguns.com/
Neither cartridge has the shock power of say a 243 or hot 223 but that should not be a surprise.

The 44-40 can be loaded above and beyond the 44mag and is more than adequate at short range. Many a Russian infantry man, US cavalry man and Native American could attest to it.
The 32-20 is a surprising little cartridge but not gunna cut it with BIG pigs but fine on small to medium especially with the XTP's.
Both are cheap to feed if you reload and particularly cast, but factory ammo will send you broke. You will be looking at less that $20 a hundred.
Go for it!!!!! Just get a later made gun.
Personally have both. Psssst. If you look hard you can get an old Remington pump for not much more and they can also take the pressure
:-)
One well placed shot is all it takes.
LawrenceA
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by boingk » 17 Apr 2021, 8:00 pm

Just remembered I made a thread on this. THeres a few pics of the rifle and fired casings, too. I settled on 13gn of 2205 after a starting load of 12gn 2207 - this works with both the 78gn round nose Black Widows and the 85gn XTP's.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14091
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by bigrich » 17 Apr 2021, 8:46 pm

LawrenceA wrote:I expect you are talking a Model 92
Model 92's are arguably the slickest and easily smoothest.
However the venerable 92 was made in basically 2 lots the early ones were made for Black Powder only and CANNOT be used for smokeless.
The later ones are no problem with smokeless.
Paco Kelly has the info you seek.
https://leverguns.com/articles/paco/3220wcf.htm
https://leverguns.com/
Neither cartridge has the shock power of say a 243 or hot 223 but that should not be a surprise.

The 44-40 can be loaded above and beyond the 44mag and is more than adequate at short range. Many a Russian infantry man, US cavalry man and Native American could attest to it.
The 32-20 is a surprising little cartridge but not gunna cut it with BIG pigs but fine on small to medium especially with the XTP's.
Both are cheap to feed if you reload and particularly cast, but factory ammo will send you broke. You will be looking at less that $20 a hundred.
Go for it!!!!! Just get a later made gun.
Personally have both. Psssst. If you look hard you can get an old Remington pump for not much more and they can also take the pressure
:-)

thanks for the link , i've read a bit of paco's stuff , also have some alliant 2400 i bought for loading my 22 hornet . it seems to feature in lots of loads :thumbsup:
dunno if i'm too keen on hot loading a 100 year old 44-40 but , a new reproduction version maybe . but the thin brass and case head separation are a issue apparently :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 17 Apr 2021, 8:49 pm

boingk wrote:Just remembered I made a thread on this. THeres a few pics of the rifle and fired casings, too. I settled on 13gn of 2205 after a starting load of 12gn 2207 - this works with both the 78gn round nose Black Widows and the 85gn XTP's.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14091

thanks mate :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Diamond Jim » 18 Apr 2021, 1:39 am

I had a elderley Canadian acquaintance who related a hunting trip with a 32-20. He shot a black bear and was surprised to see it charge at him. He shot it again and "Damn, dat bear was still comin' at me so I shot it again. God damn, if my buddy hadn't been dere with his "tirty ought six" I believe that dere bear would have done me a mischief!"
Just a story....I love my '92 copy but it's .357Mag. I've never shot a 32-20 but I wouldn't use one for anything that could hurt me unless I had no other choice.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bigrich » 18 Apr 2021, 4:53 am

Diamond Jim wrote:I had a elderley Canadian acquaintance who related a hunting trip with a 32-20. He shot a black bear and was surprised to see it charge at him. He shot it again and "Damn, dat bear was still comin' at me so I shot it again. God damn, if my buddy hadn't been dere with his "tirty ought six" I believe that dere bear would have done me a mischief!"
Just a story....I love my '92 copy but it's .357Mag. I've never shot a 32-20 but I wouldn't use one for anything that could hurt me unless I had no other choice.

if there was any chance of me coming across a bear or a mountain lion my 358 winchester is the first gun i'd grab :D i know lots of deer have been taken with 32-20 , but even then that'd be pushing it i reckon :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 18 Apr 2021, 5:09 am

anyone played with 44-40 ?
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by boingk » 18 Apr 2021, 12:28 pm

bigrich wrote:anyone played with 44-40 ?

It's in the same camp as 44 Special. Its actually a longer case than the 44 Magnum but operates natively at only 22,000psi.

Not interchangeable with 44 Special or 44 Magnum due to the case bottleneck, but a decent round nonetheless. You would be able to load fairly stout rounds in a gun that could withstand them, and the '92 is a great contender.

I'm in the 44 Magnum camp, though, and waiting for the '92 Levtac to complete my space coyboy collection. They're due midyear at Cleavers for about $850.

Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by Blr243 » 18 Apr 2021, 12:48 pm

Bloody hell boingk. Stop posting pics of new interesting levers on this site. It’s not helpful when I’m trying to save money
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 18 Apr 2021, 5:52 pm

Blr243 wrote:Bloody hell boingk. Stop posting pics of new interesting levers on this site. It’s not helpful when I’m trying to save money

:lol: :lol: :lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by boingk » 18 Apr 2021, 6:15 pm

Hehehe... no.

I've got an order in for one in 44 Mag, couldnt resist the temptation of the big loop, M-lock forend for torchy lazery bits, pic rail and iron apeture sights.

I sold my Marlin 1894 357 Mag to make up for it. Bold move but fingers crossed.

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by bigrich » 18 Apr 2021, 8:05 pm

boingk wrote:Hehehe... no.

I've got an order in for one in 44 Mag, couldnt resist the temptation of the big loop, M-lock forend for torchy lazery bits, pic rail and iron apeture sights.

I sold my Marlin 1894 357 Mag to make up for it. Bold move but fingers crossed.

- boingk

ya got rid of ya 357 :cry:

i miss mine , they are a good gun
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Return to Centerfire rifles