Ian McCollum looks at the L2A1.

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Ian McCollum looks at the L2A1.

Post by Bills Shed » 24 Apr 2021, 9:19 pm

This is not a pissing contest. The SLR was a fine weapon in the day and it worked. I had no issues with it and I could shoot alright with it. Never heard anyone call a SLR a pig.

The M60 well yes that was a pig, and a very inaccurate one at that. An accurate machine gun....now there is a can of worms, and another thread.

Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by in2anity » 24 Apr 2021, 9:51 pm

Nah you are right Bill - it’s not a pissing contest, just a reflection. I’m coming from a purely civi comp perspective, and service rifles were far from designed for, well, comp. Unless that is, if you are the USMC...
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Larry » 25 Apr 2021, 9:49 am

Way back in the Day I am talking when the 303 was used in competition. At the Queens you had to first qualify on a Military target before you could enter the comp. My uncle used to shoot in these as a kid. (where this story came from) the competitors would shoot the target from the hip without any real aiming. The size of the real comp targets where very similar to todays fullbore target rifle targets only they were coulored differently and the shape of the aiming mark was different. The bulls being 2 MOA
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by SCJ429 » 25 Apr 2021, 10:15 am

Bills Shed wrote:This is not a pissing contest. The SLR was a fine weapon in the day and it worked. I had no issues with it and I could shoot alright with it. Never heard anyone call a SLR a pig.

The M60 well yes that was a pig, and a very inaccurate one at that. An accurate machine gun....now there is a can of worms, and another thread.

Bill

No one on this thread called the SLR the PIG. As you know the M60 got that nickname.

The SLR was never close in terms of accuracy to a bolt action rifle, the Lee Enfield was far more accurate. The diggers all got better scores when they used the M16. There were guys who liked the SLR but then again, some of them like the Army Land Rovers too and they were underpowered pieces of junk.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 25 Apr 2021, 11:01 am

SCJ429 wrote:No one on this thread called the SLR the PIG. As you know the M60 got that nickname.

SCJ429, I incorrectly called the SLR a pig, and Bill then wrote his post, then I changed my post after realizing my mistake. My bad.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 25 Apr 2021, 5:52 pm

the fact this post is here at all is thanks to "gun jesus" :D

if you don't get what i'm talking about , google "H&K gun jesus poster" on youtube ...... :thumbsup:

sorry i can't do a link
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 25 Apr 2021, 6:00 pm

bigrich wrote:the fact this post is here at all is thanks to "gun jesus" :D

if you don't get what i'm talking about , google "H&K gun jesus poster" on youtube ...... :thumbsup:

sorry i can't do a link

Such an interesting character. Like a cross between a liberal nerd and a repub redneck - from absolute polar ends of the spectrum. I just love how excited he gets when shooting. The fg42 repro springs to mind - he seemed to adore that rifle. https://youtu.be/FWIgmIm6Uh0
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 25 Apr 2021, 6:31 pm

Larry wrote:Way back in the Day I am talking when the 303 was used in competition. At the Queens you had to first qualify on a Military target before you could enter the comp. My uncle used to shoot in these as a kid. (where this story came from) the competitors would shoot the target from the hip without any real aiming. The size of the real comp targets where very similar to todays fullbore target rifle targets only they were coulored differently and the shape of the aiming mark was different. The bulls being 2 MOA

Yar the V is generally 2moa on the prone line, with the 5 ring around 3.5moa. Shame they culled service from the queens. There’s a much bigger trend toward F-class style shooting these days.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by wanneroo » 26 Apr 2021, 11:09 am

in2anity wrote:
Such an interesting character. Like a cross between a liberal nerd and a repub redneck - from absolute polar ends of the spectrum. I just love how excited he gets when shooting. The fg42 repro springs to mind - he seemed to adore that rifle. https://youtu.be/FWIgmIm6Uh0

Interesting guy, Ian turned a hobby into a big business.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bigrich » 26 Apr 2021, 12:59 pm

in2anity wrote:
bigrich wrote:the fact this post is here at all is thanks to "gun jesus" :D

sorry i can't do a link

i've seen a lot of his work , 8x57 semi auto fg42 sounds like a good pig gun :D

the one where he fires the three thompson 45 "choppers" is a good watch . never seen anyone smile so much ..... :lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by disco stu » 26 Apr 2021, 6:25 pm

I've come across his videos a fair bit just from googling things. I've always been impressed with his knowledge, lack of hype and letting the information speak rather than trying to big note himself
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles