Lever action rifles for pig hunting

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Lever action rifles for pig hunting

Post by scrolllock » 31 Mar 2014, 5:27 pm

Hi guys,

Doing some as asking for my nephew who's looking to get his junior shooters license, his first rifle and start hunting soon.

He's keen on a lever action for his first shooter which I can't really offer much advice on.

After some feedback with the following in mind.

1) Calibre suitable for pigs.
2) Not crazy on the recoil.
3) Factory irons sights. He's keen for some 'cowboy' fun before getting a low zoom scope.

Cheers guys.
scrolllock
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Lever action rifles for pig hunting

Post by bobnob » 31 Mar 2014, 5:36 pm

357 Magnum for a young bloke would be ideal.

Rossi R92 is your ticket.
bobnob
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Combat_Wombat » 31 Mar 2014, 8:31 pm

Highly reccomend the Rossi but if he isn't a fan of kick get it in a 20 inch barrel and they make after market recoil pad because it doesn't come with one
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by yoshie » 31 Mar 2014, 8:58 pm

You could always start him off on some 38specials then move up to 357 magnums once he's comfortable. My advice would be a model 92 over a 94 as they are smaller and easier to cycle. Not that there is anything wrong with a 94 or a marlin. Most 92s have a crescent but plate which can be a bit harsh. Try find one with a rubber pad or you can get a lace up pad. I've got a Browning 92 in 44 mag it's great to hunt with. 44 mag packs a big punch and leaves a big hole. 357 mag penetrate better with good bullets and are pretty good on pigs.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by yoshie » 31 Mar 2014, 9:06 pm

After rereading your post, mounting a scope later on a 92 is fairly hard. The only real options for mounting a scope are a 94 angle eject or a marlin with a flat top.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Combat_Wombat » 31 Mar 2014, 9:11 pm

You can remove the rear sight and mount a piece of picatinny rail for mounting a scope, some low scope rings and a fixed 4x scope with no front bell works great
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Browning » 31 Mar 2014, 9:22 pm

How old is your nephew? 10 years and recoil is a consideration but if he's 15+ then maybe he's ready for something more like a BLR.. If not a 30/30 sounds like a good option
Browning
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by von_klitzing » 31 Mar 2014, 11:40 pm

I have a Rossi in .44 I use for cane pigs up north QLD. I'm a pretty small build, around 80kgs. It's an older one that has a metal buttplate and kicks fairly moderate, and the sharp edges from the plate don't help. I outlined the butt and picked up some off-cut leather with some thick leather cord and made up a butt cover with some foam installed. It's made my Rossi look a bit more unique to me. I can now shoot 60 rounds and walk away without a bruise. Although the cord is a bit thick I'll be replacing it with shoe laces at the back.
Your nephew could get a .357 and make a good cover with a piece of foam installed to iron out any real recoil issues - just mind the change in Length of Pull :)
von_klitzing
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by wrenchman » 01 Apr 2014, 6:57 am

Marlin makes there guns in 357 or 44 and they have rubber recoil pads I don't no if you can get them there but I have seen them ported
And I do no they sell a youth model with a shorter stock but I think just about any model will work you might want to take him to some stores and have him shoulder them and see how it fits.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by MeccaOz » 01 Apr 2014, 7:32 am

I have been a fan of the Rossi .357 for about 21 + years ( Still using the same one ) And it will drop a pig as good as anything else, but if you want a scope ( this has been on my mind too ) How about the Marlin 336Y ( Youth model ) 5 shots, 12 1/2 inch LOP and a 16 1/2 inch barrel. I saw they are for sale at the site we are not allowed to talk about here for about $750, so pretty much the same as a Rossi.
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Herdsman » 01 Apr 2014, 10:12 am

Any preference on modern or classic calibre for him?

e.g. 30/30 vs .308?

That will split your options a lot.
Shepherding bullets down range.

Tikka Hunter Stainless Fluted 300 Win Mag
Tikka Battue Lite .308 Win
Tikka Varmint Stainless .222 Rem
Herdsman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by scrolllock » 01 Apr 2014, 12:42 pm

:D :D :D Thanks all.

Smart looking cover von_klitzing :D

Herdsman - Probably looking at classic calibres... Ruling out something like the Browning BLR which I know a lot of people like.

The word 'cowboy' has come up a lot so I think we'll be sticking true to that image ;)
scrolllock
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles