Buying a new .223

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Buying a new .223

Post by Kurnal » 07 May 2021, 4:57 pm

Stock issues meant I ended up with an Optika5 3-15 x 44....on first impressions it looks very nice and is a good mix for what I am using the gun for..

Don't get the gun for another week or two, but looking through the scope, I am pretty impressed
CZ 455 .22LR Vixen 4-16 x 44
Ligthgow LA102 .223 Optika5 3-15 x 44
Tikka T3x Lite Stainless .308 Leupold Vx3i 4.5-14 x 40
Kurnal
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bman940 » 08 May 2021, 1:47 am

You are going to be very happy, Hope my suggestions helped?
bman940
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by Veetwin » 08 May 2021, 9:03 am

Shootermick wrote:
Kurnal wrote:To wrap this thread up.

Going with the Lithgow paired with a Meopta Optika5 4-20 x 44. Hoping to have it all in 2 weeks or so.

This site has been so helpful, thanks to everyone who took the time to reply. Very much appreciated.

I’ve got a synthetic stock Lithgow 223 with a Meopta Meopro 6-18x50. I guarantee you won’t be disappointed.

That sounds great! I am waiting for my La102 308 with a Meopta 6 x18 -50 scope. Very pleased others have similar views on this being a good package.
Veetwin
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Shootermick » 08 May 2021, 1:45 pm

Veetwin wrote:
Shootermick wrote:
Kurnal wrote:To wrap this thread up.

Going with the Lithgow paired with a Meopta Optika5 4-20 x 44. Hoping to have it all in 2 weeks or so.

This site has been so helpful, thanks to everyone who took the time to reply. Very much appreciated.

I’ve got a synthetic stock Lithgow 223 with a Meopta Meopro 6-18x50. I guarantee you won’t be disappointed.

That sounds great! I am waiting for my La102 308 with a Meopta 6 x18 -50 scope. Very pleased others have similar views on this being a good package.

Great scope and rifle combo. I’m tempted to get the LA 102 in 308 as well.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Jakeus » 08 May 2021, 2:27 pm

I just recently bought a Howa 1500 in 223, does anyone have recommendations for the correct cleaning supplies to buy for it. Can someone leave me a list and a possible website link?
Jakeus
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Post by boingk » 09 Jun 2021, 12:30 am

Jakeus wrote:I just recently bought a Howa 1500 in 223, does anyone have recommendations for the correct cleaning supplies to buy for it. Can someone leave me a list and a possible website link?

Have a talk to your local shop mate. He'll welcome the business and be able to give good advice.

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by ZaineB » 09 Jun 2021, 1:03 am

I have 2 howas, 1 weatherby vanguard 2, and CMC mountaineer, All are made in the Howa factory, all shoot sub moa, only one is a bull barrel, two are long action two are short action, I would not be convinced by anyone to buy anything different, there simply isnt a justification on the cost of other rifles, Ive even had an entry level Remington that was perfectly accurate also and a close friend uses a ruger ranch, and all are sub moa.

Different kettle of fish if competing, but for hunting sub moa does the trick. as for actions feeling slick, I have not once missed an animal cos the action wasn't some amazing smooth ice skating gravity free thing. a gritty trigger on the other hand.......
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by ZaineB » 09 Jun 2021, 1:04 am

Jakeus wrote:I just recently bought a Howa 1500 in 223, does anyone have recommendations for the correct cleaning supplies to buy for it. Can someone leave me a list and a possible website link?

just buy a hoppe's or gunslick kit with solvent and some gun oil and patches and brushes, sorted.
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by SCJ429 » 09 Jun 2021, 7:07 pm

Get a decent one piece rod, a bore guide, some Boretec carbon and some copper solvent. Cut your cotton patches to fit and clean carefully.
Clean it as soon after shooting as you can. Clean it after every time you take it out.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 09 Jun 2021, 7:25 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Get a decent one piece rod, a bore guide, some Boretec carbon and some copper solvent. Cut your cotton patches to fit and clean carefully.
Clean it as soon after shooting as you can. Clean it after every time you take it out.

This is good advice. Skip the "kits", everything in them is rubbish. Buy everything separately and buy the best rod you can afford. The Boretech Cu+2 copper remover is as good as any, and their carbon remover is equally as good. Avoid getting chems in the action by tilting downhill, and let the chemicals sit and do their work, per the instructions - most barrel wear comes from mechanical intervention. A light wipe of reel or sewing machine oil on the bolt and a tiny bit of grease on the lugs where they lock keeps the Dr away and the gun cycling beautifully. I also use a nylon brush once, after the first copper step, brushing/pushing everything forward and out the barrel at all times. You can use a Berroca tube with a bit of turps to clean your brush every now and again.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by ZaineB » 09 Jun 2021, 8:38 pm

in2anity wrote:
SCJ429 wrote:Get a decent one piece rod, a bore guide, some Boretec carbon and some copper solvent. Cut your cotton patches to fit and clean carefully.

This is good advice. Skip the "kits", everything in them is rubbish. Buy everything separately and buy the best rod you can afford. The Boretech Cu+2 copper remover is as good as any, and their carbon remover is equally as good. Avoid getting chems in the action by tilting downhill, and let the chemicals sit and do their work, per the instructions - most barrel wear comes from mechanical intervention. A light wipe of reel or sewing machine oil on the bolt and a tiny bit of grease on the lugs where they lock keeps the Dr away and the gun cycling beautifully. I also use a nylon brush once, after the first copper step, brushing/pushing everything forward and out the barrel at all times. You can use a Berroca tube with a bit of turps to clean your brush every now and again.

gunslick kit I got at shot show has carbon one piece rod, brushes, patches, foaming bore cleaner, oil, as well as some other solvents. far from crap.
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by in2anity » 09 Jun 2021, 8:54 pm

ZaineB wrote:gunslick kit I got at shot show has carbon one piece rod, brushes, patches, foaming bore cleaner, oil, as well as some other solvents. far from crap.

In terms of efficiency, that “gun-klenz” stuff doesn’t go anywhere near dedicated copper solvents. Week-to-week I use Sweets 7.62 now, before that hoppes, before that “gun-klenz” and Sweets is the most efficient at removing copper. That Bore Tech cu+2 stuff is even newer technology, so I’m told. I’ll give it a try once the Sweets runs out. Sure the “gun-klenz” gets there, but takes significantly more elbow grease, and manual intervention is your enemy (if you are looking to maximize barrel life). The “ultra-lube” is ok as a final protective oil/seasoning for storage but that’s about it. If gunslick has changed their chems since when I tried that kit many many years ago, I stand corrected. :thumbsup:
Last edited by in2anity on 10 Jun 2021, 8:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by straightshooter » 10 Jun 2021, 8:00 am

in2anity
There is little in the way of New Technology in barrel cleaning chemicals. It is more about New Marketing and product differentiation.
The best and most suitable chemicals for barrel cleaning evolved 80 to 100 years ago when barrel fouling problems were carefully researched and understood.
The proven key chemicals are ammonium oleate or ammonium hydroxide. Each has it's merits as do the associated carrier chemicals.
The claims of the modern chelating agent cleaners seem to be impressive, particularly to those terrified by the word ammonia, but only time will tell if they live up to their claims or whether they will be overwhelmed by a newer marketing campaign.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 10 Jun 2021, 8:08 am

Yeah fair enough, that makes sense SS - W.R.T Bore Tech Cu+2, I'm only passing on what the boys talk about on the line. There seems to be a move away from Sweets, toward that new Bore Tech stuff. Sweets still works an absolute treat for me (for initial copper removal), I can clean my 223 comp gun with only 7 patches, start to final oil. Perhaps we drunk a bit too much of the koolaid...
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Kurnal » 11 Jun 2021, 6:56 pm

To close this out from the original post.

Last week I took delivery of a Lithgow 102 with Optika5 3-15 x 44.

Keeping in mind this is my first gun in 35 years and I have never shot at a range before. After some sighting in issues where I couldn't even hit the paper, within 50 rounds I managed to put a 10 shot group within 45mm at 100m. 8 of the shots were within 25mm, two were off to the right a bit.

I feel this tells more about the gun than me, so can highly recommend this combination !

Thanks so much to everyone who helped me arrive at this gun and scope. Couldn't be happier.
Last edited by Kurnal on 12 Jun 2021, 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
CZ 455 .22LR Vixen 4-16 x 44
Ligthgow LA102 .223 Optika5 3-15 x 44
Tikka T3x Lite Stainless .308 Leupold Vx3i 4.5-14 x 40
Kurnal
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by boingk » 11 Jun 2021, 9:24 pm

Good to hear mate, have a 'blast'!

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by bman940 » 12 Jun 2021, 5:04 am

Glad it all worked out for you. That Meopta Optika6 will be more than enough scope for all your shooting needs, that is for sure. I agree that buying what you want and putting it together to create the best package you can afford is the way to go. Oftentimes package deals are the cheapest that can be found. That being said, I run across new guys at the range all the time who bought package rigs and can't figure out how to put the bolt back in the gun. Know your products and what they are capable of doing. Most of all, know how to be a safe hunter/shooter.
bman940
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 12 Jun 2021, 7:08 am

I want to buy a new Warwick WFA1 in 223 with one of those FABA kits.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles