Tikka T3X Tac A1 vs Lithgow LA105

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Tikka T3X Tac A1 vs Lithgow LA105

Post by CombatKelpie » 18 May 2021, 5:33 pm

Hi all,

Looking for advice on the Tikka T3X TAC A1 vs the Lithgow LA105 in 6.5CM, either of which will have a decent scope on top. I've recently left Infantry and trying to get my head around all the new gear and laws. One of those seems to have gotten a whole lot better but let's not derail the purpose of the post....:)

The reason I like these two rifles is the accuracy, quality, relative affordability, and ability to start shooting out to/past 1000m off the shelf. I've looked at a range of other options incl RPRs, Bergara LRP, R700 based builds etc and pretty keen to get either the Lithgow or Tikka.

Any advice?

Cheers
CombatKelpie
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Tikka T3X Tac A1 vs Lithgow LA105

Post by MontyShooter » 18 May 2021, 10:52 pm

Doubt you could go wrong with either. Both my tac a1 and my la102 are beautifully built and machined. The tikka must be about a grand more expensive than the 105 and would probably be my pick. It's a shame lithgow didn't use the aluminium krg stock in the woomera.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Kurnal » 19 May 2021, 6:02 am

I chose the Lithgow out of the two for a range / hunting rifle (but won't be shooting to 1000 !). Completely different usage to you, but my son's in the military and we both thought it cool to support the Aussie product that supplies the army. From my research, you won't go wrong with either. I liked the feel of the Lithgow too. Pick them and see what fits.
CZ 455 .22LR Vixen 4-16 x 44
Ligthgow LA102 .223 Optika5 3-15 x 44
Tikka T3x Lite Stainless .308 Leupold Vx3i 4.5-14 x 40
Kurnal
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 19 May 2021, 10:20 am

The A1 is just the CTR on steroids. For a bit of fun, I shot a bog-standard CTR .308 (20"), in a Queens, in F-S/H class, and I started dropping unexplained 4s at range 800m+. At the risk of stating the obvious, to be competitive at 1000m, you'll need to go the 24" version. Check availability of 24" A1 and LA105, that may simply be the limiting factor... if you want it soon...

Both at 24", they are very similar rifles, both around 5.1kg.

At the end of the day, if you want to compete in F-S/H or PRS or PSR (or similar), most are using aftermarket match barrels.

Here's my CTR transformed into a crossover TR/PSR build, currently in the TR configuration:

tikka.jpg
tikka.jpg (607.47 KiB) Viewed 4925 times

That's the CTR donar, with a Krieger finished at 26" (S/H compliant), in a pre-loved KRG Bravo stock. Excluding the Sights, that cost me $1300new+ $900barrel+ $400stock+ $300fit= $2900. Of course there are cheaper donars out there, that would work just as well. Not to mention cheaper barrels.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 19 May 2021, 9:56 pm

https://usedguns.com.au/gun/359429/

Both are excellent rifles, I have built a couple of rifles using a T3 action. The Lithgow Woomera looks a bit ugly and the Tac A1 has too much plastic for my taste.

Would you consider a second hand Barnard action like the rifle in the link. Custom actions are very nice to use.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 20 May 2021, 10:39 am

SCJ429 wrote:Would you consider a second hand Barnard action like the rifle in the link. Custom actions are very nice to use.

ooh yeah. the barnards are the bees. that's what all the top fellas use. pricey af.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by CombatKelpie » 20 May 2021, 12:23 pm

SCJ429 wrote:https://usedguns.com.au/gun/359429/

Both are excellent rifles, I have built a couple of rifles using a T3 action. The Lithgow Woomera looks a bit ugly and the Tac A1 has too much plastic for my taste.

Would you consider a second hand Barnard action like the rifle in the link. Custom actions are very nice to use.

That's a beautiful rifle, but I have my heart set on the Lithgow/Tikka.
CombatKelpie
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 20 May 2021, 10:07 pm

As everyone has said, you will do quite well with either rifle. If you know what your doing with your reloads you should be able to get 1\4 inch groups out of them. Shooting out last 1000 will need every bit of accuracy, speed and wind reading ability you can get. Good luck with your project.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by cz515 » 21 May 2021, 6:40 am

One problem with Barnard type of actions is that they don't have a magazine (single round chambered) and if you want to get into PRS type of competitions they won't work.

I don't have either, but I seriously considered both, in the end went with a ruger precision rifle (as there was no ETA on the 105). I have friend who has a few tikkas including the tac a1. The rifle in person is very nice and bloody great shooter, like all tikkas.

But the Lithgow being aussie made would be my choice.
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 21 May 2021, 8:48 am

cz515 wrote:One problem with Barnard type of actions is that they don't have a magazine (single round chambered) and if you want to get into PRS type of competitions they won't work.

Incorrect. The "M" posfixed Barnard actions support magazine feed:

in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by cz515 » 21 May 2021, 8:36 pm

:thumbsup:
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Downunder » 13 Jun 2021, 7:17 am

We’ve shot both side by side, both capable, the A1 you can get in LH.
The 105 has a KRG X-ray chassis on it and is propriety in its action bed, it seems KRG are phasing out their X-ray stocks After recently emailing them about a 12 month plus wait on components, the proprietary bed On the 105 cuts out the avenue of changing out the chassis to another off the shelf.

I’ve a 105 that’s now set up the way I want but it wasn’t easy, I would go Tikka if I had another crack at it.
Downunder
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles