Folding stock chassis rifles, NSW

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Folding stock chassis rifles, NSW

Post by Biscuits » 21 May 2021, 8:30 am

Hi everyone, my first post. I'm Australian but have been living in the UK about 10 years and only started buying guns in the UK. Planning on moving back to Sydney in about 1.5 years and bring my UK guns with me, well maybe except the semi-autos. In the next couple of months, in the UK, I'm planning on buying another rifle - 6.5 Creedmoor. Some of the rifles I'm looking at have folding stocks. A folding stock would be preferable for me, as I sometimes transport rifles sideways on the back seat of a motorcycle (in a nondescript bag tied to the bike, obvs). Non folding stick out past the width of the bike = not so good.

I've heard folding stock rifles are not legal in New South Wales?

If they aren't legal with a folding stock, would it be legal to import one (when I go back to Sydney) which has had the folding mechanism permanently pinned so that it won't fold any more?

The new rifle I'm thinking of (folding or fixed stock) will probably be:
Tikka TAC A1
Sabatti STR
Bergara B-14 BMP
Biscuits
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Folding stock chassis rifles, NSW

Post by bladeracer » 21 May 2021, 2:27 pm

Biscuits wrote:Hi everyone, my first post. I'm Australian but have been living in the UK about 10 years and only started buying guns in the UK. Planning on moving back to Sydney in about 1.5 years and bring my UK guns with me, well maybe except the semi-autos. In the next couple of months, in the UK, I'm planning on buying another rifle - 6.5 Creedmoor. Some of the rifles I'm looking at have folding stocks. A folding stock would be preferable for me, as I sometimes transport rifles sideways on the back seat of a motorcycle (in a nondescript bag tied to the bike, obvs). Non folding stick out past the width of the bike = not so good.

I've heard folding stock rifles are not legal in New South Wales?

If they aren't legal with a folding stock, would it be legal to import one (when I go back to Sydney) which has had the folding mechanism permanently pinned so that it won't fold any more?

The new rifle I'm thinking of (folding or fixed stock) will probably be:
Tikka TAC A1
Sabatti STR
Bergara B-14 BMP

NSW does not allow anything that alters the length of the rifle, folding, collapsible, or otherwise.
As long as the rifle is pinned in place by a dealer in NSW or before it arrives at a NSW dealer then it should be fine.

You could import a rifle, but the cost of importing firearms to Oz can be outrageous, especially from the US (adds about A$2000 to the cost).
Is the rifle you want not available in Australia already?

I don't think the firearms you already own in the UK will be considered to be "imported" if you bring them in with you.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Biscuits » 21 May 2021, 6:13 pm

^ Yes, just to clarify, the “imported” firearms are just the ones I already own in London. Except for the semi-autos, I know I have to sell them before going back to Oz. The 6.5 CM, I’m just buying that in the UK, with the idea that it also needs to be legal in NSW for when I move back.

I still need to figure out the process of getting them to Oz as I do not have a NSW firearms licence.
Biscuits
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 21 May 2021, 6:21 pm

Biscuits wrote:^ Yes, just to clarify, the “imported” firearms are just the ones I already own in London. Except for the semi-autos, I know I have to sell them before going back to Oz. The 6.5 CM, I’m just buying that in the UK, with the idea that it also needs to be legal in NSW for when I move back.

I still need to figure out the process of getting them to Oz as I do not have a NSW firearms licence.

Australia does recognize foreign licences for visiting shooters.
I would email the NSW Registry, they should be able to guide you through it.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Larry » 21 May 2021, 7:20 pm

Im not 100% certain but I think they only recognize foreign licenses when you are competing in a specific event and you must name that event. Have invitation and entry proved ect. I would try and get the NSW license well underway if you cant do a prior visit to obtain it. Otherwise your best bet may be to send the rifles to a dealer or friend for storage while you get yourself settled.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by bladeracer » 21 May 2021, 8:27 pm

Larry wrote:Im not 100% certain but I think they only recognize foreign licenses when you are competing in a specific event and you must name that event. Have invitation and entry proved ect. I would try and get the NSW license well underway if you cant do a prior visit to obtain it. Otherwise your best bet may be to send the rifles to a dealer or friend for storage while you get yourself settled.

People come to Australia to hunt as well don't they?
You can't make the application until you are resident.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 21 May 2021, 10:49 pm

Because if we were allowed the convenience of folding stocks we'd become assassins and terrorists.

Its just too inconvenient to be a criminal with a full length firearm, especially as a licensed shooter. :roll:

Folding stock = pure evil :twisted:
20" break action shotgun, no worries :thumbsup:
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Biscuits » 22 May 2021, 1:11 am

on_one_wheel wrote:Because if we were allowed the convenience of folding stocks we'd become assassins and terrorists.

Its just too inconvenient to be a criminal with a full length firearm, especially as a licensed shooter. :roll:

I suspect my 22lr MP5 (semi auto) would fry their brains ;)

What about suppressors, I have a couple of 22 rimfire suppressors and a .30 cal suppressor. Are they legal in NSW or will I be selling them?
Biscuits
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 22 May 2021, 1:57 am

https://pfes.nt.gov.au/sites/default/fi ... oSheet.pdf
Not sure if that would apply to you
Sell 22 rimfire suppressors and a .30 cal suppressor they are legal but the process is so long it would take ages I only Know of 2 people with them as some one else said it may be easier just sell all you have and re-buy once you have a licence.
Tikka TAC A1 local Sydney cost about $ 3700 no Scope or 2021 pound not sure what they cost UK
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 22 May 2021, 8:45 am

Even things that could potentially be used as suppressors are illegal here.

Biscuits wrote:
on_one_wheel wrote:Because if we were allowed the convenience of folding stocks we'd become assassins and terrorists.

I suspect my 22lr MP5 (semi auto) would fry their brains ;)

What about suppressors, I have a couple of 22 rimfire suppressors and a .30 cal suppressor. Are they legal in NSW or will I be selling them?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 22 May 2021, 11:06 am

bladeracer wrote:Even things that could potentially be used as suppressors here

Thanks for reminding me
I must remember to destroy all my plastic coke bottles :thumbsup:
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Biscuits » 29 May 2021, 8:46 am

I'm leaning towards buying a Tikka TAC A1 and figuring out what to do about the folding stock when I get to Sydney. Are there any TAC A1 owners in NSW who can say what they have done to get the stock compliant?

The other alternative is to buy a barrelled action/rifle in a cheap stock and change the stock out for an MDT chassis, which have various different buttstock options. If the rifle need to go on the back of the bike, I can remove the buttstock by unscrewing it while the rifle is still in the UK. In NSW, I'll research if that is feasible/legal or not. I assume it must be legal to remove a "non-removable" buttstock, otherwise how would anybody legally change the stock on their rifle.
Biscuits
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 29 May 2021, 11:12 am

I understand the transport thing. But be careful about pushing the boundaries It could be dangerous to upset anyone in the weapons licensing dept .
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Chronos » 30 May 2021, 8:19 am

There were dozens of folding stock Tac A1's sold in NSW with the stocks pinned by a gunsmith and certified by dealers. None of this means much and be wary of taking online legal advice. Talk to a UK dealer about the issues and costs of exporting. Then talk to a NSW dealer about the same. You cannot bring firearms from the airport. Customs will seize them and you'll need to present a B709 import form and have a dealer pick them up from Border Farce. The dealer then cannot release them to you until you have a NSW F/A licence so count on months of storage costs as well.

"NSW does not allow anything that alters the length of the rifle, folding, collapsible, or otherwise."

Not totally correct. They simply don't allow "push button" style butt stocks like the buffer tube style AR stocks designed to be used with body armour. You can have GRS style push button stocks that DO NOT collapse below the 30cm minimum length of pull.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles