Light weight Remington 700 stock

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Light weight Remington 700 stock

Post by InisBineest » 23 May 2021, 3:37 pm

Hi all, I'm after ideas for a sub $1500 light weight (2.5lbs or less) Remington 700 SA stock. Note, this is not a wanted ad, I don't have the money! I'm just looking for suggestions.

I have a new Bergara B-14r (yes, I know its not a centerfire, but it takes the same stock so bare with me) that takes a Remington 700 style stock, with an AICS magwel. The HMR stock it comes with is very nice, adjusts at every point, covered in sling attachment points and is build like a tank, but it weighs in at 3.9 lbs. I know that isn't exactly a heavy weight stock, but this is a rifle with a nice carbon barrel. I would like to lighten the whole thing up to be able to carry it in the field as well as use it on the bench.

My plan is to sell the HMR stock it came with and save a few more pennies for a replacement. Some of the more skeletal chassis stocks look reasonable, but i'm not familiar with many that sell them. Looking for ideas if you know of any good ones.

And yes, I know McMillian stocks, and as amazing as they are, they are either a bit on the heavier side, or on the expensive side for the lighter carbon ones.

Thanks in advance!
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (394.67 KiB) Viewed 1192 times
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Light weight Remington 700 stock

Post by Tiger650 » 23 May 2021, 6:24 pm

Look for an HS Precision stock, they sometimes become available when blokes go pistol grip chassis.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Larry » 23 May 2021, 6:35 pm

In my experiences with chassis I have found them to be heavier than a lot of wooden stocks even the skeleton ones. A wooden stock can be made a lot lighter without reducing its strength much by making a few mods. You can drill out some wood in the back of the butt and thin down the forend make the barrel channel a bit deeper.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by InisBineest » 23 May 2021, 7:06 pm

Tiger650 wrote:Look for an HS Precision stock, they sometimes become available when blokes go pistol grip chassis.

That's not a bad idea. I hadn't considered those. I'll have a look
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles