243 cleaning.

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

243 cleaning.

Post by Shootermick » 27 May 2021, 2:25 pm

How many rounds do people generally put through their 243’s before giving the bore a good clean? Any ideas on when you start to lose accuracy with a dirty bore?
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Re: 243 cleaning.

Post by No1_49er » 27 May 2021, 2:45 pm

Can you see any traces of copper in the rifling when you view the bore from the crown end?
Yes? Clean it.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 27 May 2021, 2:52 pm

Some barrels as little as 20 some barrels as many as 80 rounds .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Bugman » 27 May 2021, 5:15 pm

After a few rounds at the range or in the paddock, I will run a bore snake through or a few patches, but when totally finished and it back into storage, then a full clean takes place. For me, this after an average of 50 rounds with a bit of "sub cleaning" in between.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 27 May 2021, 5:26 pm

Shootermick wrote:How many rounds do people generally put through their 243’s before giving the bore a good clean? Any ideas on when you start to lose accuracy with a dirty bore?

The only way you can answer this is by shooting your standard load and see when accuracy starts to drop off.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 27 May 2021, 5:45 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Shootermick wrote:How many rounds do people generally put through their 243’s before giving the bore a good clean? Any ideas on when you start to lose accuracy with a dirty bore?

The only way you can answer this is by shooting your standard load and see when accuracy starts to drop off.

That’s why I asked. Missed a couple of shots today and one in particular that was an easy one. It’s had 75 rounds through it since new and not cleaned since it was new and sighted in etc. I might start doing it around the 40 to 50 mark from here on in.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 27 May 2021, 5:55 pm

Shootermick wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

That’s why I asked. Missed a couple of shots today and one in particular that was an easy one. It’s had 75 rounds through it since new and not cleaned since it was new and sighted in etc. I might start doing it around the 40 to 50 mark from here on in.

Shoot a group and see if it's opened up.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by animalpest » 27 May 2021, 7:44 pm

If you missed an "easy" shot it's unlikely to be cleaning that is the issue. Accuracy can suffer from lack of cleaning within 75 rounds but it should still be reasonable.

If you haven't cleaned it since the original sighting in and have put 75 rounds through it since, then you haven't looked after it.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 27 May 2021, 7:48 pm

I find my .243 loves a clean, 50 shots max and 20 min
I haven't had a serious accuracy problem from fowling but I do notice a pressure rise when it starts fowling
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 28 May 2021, 12:36 am

I'd be checking scope screws etc while your at it.

I clean everytime I use a centerfire when it goes back in the safe. Even if just a few minutes with some eds red or carby cleaner
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 28 May 2021, 8:30 am

Shootermick wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Oh Dear, your barrel is likely heavily copper fouled. Use an effective copper solvent until all the copper is gone. Then shoot until you see any signs of copper. This may be after only a few shots if you have a rough factory barrel.

Also change the oil in your car if you service it like you clean your barrel. :drinks: :drinks:
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 28 May 2021, 9:34 am

SCJ429 wrote:This may be after only a few shots if you have a rough factory barrel.

I'm running one of those fancy "5R" SS barrels currently - and I tell you what, it's pretty god-damned amazing how little it fouls. Stunningly little cleanup after a match, compared with most of my other barrels, especially the factories.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Shootermick » 28 May 2021, 7:10 pm

So is the correct sized jag for a 243 6mm?
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Larry » 28 May 2021, 7:14 pm

Yes I use a 6mm in mine or sometimes I will find a jag or brush marked as 243. Jags last nearly forever but brushes dont last that long.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by Shootermick » 28 May 2021, 7:24 pm

Larry wrote:Yes I use a 6mm in mine or sometimes I will find a jag or brush marked as 243. Jags last nearly forever but brushes dont last that long.

Thanks mate.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles