Unexpected find inside a Rifle

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Unexpected find inside a Rifle

Post by Bill » 30 May 2021, 4:33 pm

I wonder whether anyone else has discovered something unexpected inside a rifle before ??

I bought this Ruger 357 carbine a few years ago and since then I have converted it to a switch barrel set up with a spare Tikka 2506 barrel chopped back and rechambered to 256 win mag. Anyway I was looking at the recoil pad which is pretty ugly and thin and I thought I might fit a thicker pad to it to give a little LOP.

Got quite a surprise when I found what's basically 3 sealed survival packs. Inside the lighter/knife pack was about a teaspoon of very flammable powder which I guess could have been lite in damp conditions.

When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Re: Unexpected find inside a Rifle

Post by womble » 30 May 2021, 6:31 pm

Useful for a survival scenario if you have a screwdriver on you.
Otherwise you’re accessing it with your teeth
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 30 May 2021, 6:37 pm

I have 2 or 3 of those opinel folding knives. Nice flat shaped blades and very easy to get a great edge on them
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by duncan61 » 30 May 2021, 6:41 pm

I would be very pleased to find a well packed kit like that.It demonstrates the previous owner took care of his/her equipment.I have a non offensive question.Why have you bought a bolt rifle in 357Mag.I always thought they are a levergun round for fast follow up shots?
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 30 May 2021, 6:52 pm

I do a similar thing in a plastic pill bottle.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bill » 30 May 2021, 9:29 pm

Blr243 wrote:I have 2 or 3 of those opinel folding knives. Nice flat shaped blades and very easy to get a great edge on them

Very cool knife, its my go to for pears n apples when I go for a walk

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Bill » 30 May 2021, 9:33 pm

duncan61 wrote:I would be very pleased to find a well packed kit like that.It demonstrates the previous owner took care of his/her equipment.I have a non offensive question.Why have you bought a bolt rifle in 357Mag.I always thought they are a levergun round for fast follow up shots?

I have a thing for Rugers lol, the 357 was meant to be a cheap plinker which it is, but then it got a carbon bolt knob, Volquartsen trigger kit. Just a real handy camp gun that everyone enjoys shooting. Previous owner used it for harvest time hogs

Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 30 May 2021, 11:39 pm

Yep,,,,,, soon as I saw the knife I recognized it.
I used to have one identical.
And BLR is dead right,, pretty soft and susceptible to rust blade,,,,, but real easy to get a shaving edge, even if not for long.

This makes me think I'll have a look for it,,,,,, can't remember if I threw it out when shifting,,,,, havn't seen it for yonks.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by duncan61 » 31 May 2021, 1:02 am

I have a thing for Rugers lol, the 357 was meant to be a cheap plinker which it is, but then it got a carbon bolt knob, Volquartsen trigger kit. Just a real handy camp gun that everyone enjoys shooting. Previous owner used it for harvest time hogs

Thanks for the cool response .Makes perfect sense.I have a ruger lightweight M77 in.222 and no complaints
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Cooper » 31 May 2021, 11:43 am

Pretty cool find!

I like the idea of the Mauser M18 stock. Good place to store a bore snake or some fire lighting stuff.

I’m too rough for the Opinel knife. It does get sharp very easily. But it is also pretty easy for me to dull it quickly. Just by cutting a couple of rabbits.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 31 May 2021, 5:30 pm

Bill wrote:I wonder whether anyone else has discovered something unexpected inside a rifle before ??

I bought this Ruger 357 carbine a few years ago and since then I have converted it to a switch barrel set up with a spare Tikka 2506 barrel chopped back and rechambered to 256 win mag. Anyway I was looking at the recoil pad which is pretty ugly and thin and I thought I might fit a thicker pad to it to give a little LOP.

Got quite a surprise when I found what's basically 3 sealed survival packs. Inside the lighter/knife pack was about a teaspoon of very flammable powder which I guess could have been lite in damp conditions.

the only thing missing from the "kit" is some fishing line and hooks :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 31 May 2021, 7:37 pm

Dad found a wasp nest in the barrel of his 788 once lol
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 31 May 2021, 8:00 pm

DJ , OPINEL do a stainless version as well. At Stafford on Northside of bris there’s a specialty knife shop that has opinel in different sizes as well ....opinel is very cheap to buy on eBay
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by pomemax » 31 May 2021, 9:16 pm

My first thought was How cool to find that in the butt .
Then what if you did not find it and it was found like that at next safe inspection then i saw the screws and thought hang five I am going to shake some rifles
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 31 May 2021, 10:48 pm

pomemax wrote:My first thought was How cool to find that in the butt .
Then what if you did not find it and it was found like that at next safe inspection then i saw the screws and thought hang five I am going to shake some rifles

That would be an experience for anyone to find inside their "butt"

:lol: :lol:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 01 Jun 2021, 4:42 am

pomemax wrote: hang five I am going to shake some rifles

That would be interesting with my “martini “ cadet,
“Shaken, not stirred . The name is Bond.....”

:lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by disco stu » 01 Jun 2021, 6:10 pm

I like the opinel knives myself. I think the carbon blade holds an edge alright, better than stainless knives. I actually coat my blade in boiled linseed oil and it takes care of the corrosion problem. I've got a carbon steel chefs knife that I did the same with, except I use flaxseed oil (non boiled linseed oil) as it is edible. I do thin coats and then bake it in the oven at around 70deg for a while. Helps it polymerise faster.

I had the thought about police finding that during a safe inspection also. Would be a sucky situation!
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles