Casting bullets

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Casting bullets

Post by guy pepper » 03 Apr 2014, 3:08 pm

Hi all;

So I have been reloading for a bit now and having GREAT success with it so I thought I may as well move to the next level and start casting.
I already have LOTS of wheel weights I am ready to turn into ingots, was just going to use an old camping single burner I have and an old pot I have.

I am thinking about getting;
Lee 2-Cavity Bullet Mold (309 Diameter) 160 Grain
Lee .308 Lube & Size Kit
Ingot Mold by Lyman

I also have some old conveyor belt at home to drop the projectiles on to avoid denting/damaging.

Is there anything else I should get that anyone can recommend or will what I have here do the job for me?

Cheers
guy pepper
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Re: Casting bullets

Post by Noisydad » 03 Apr 2014, 8:08 pm

Make or buy a pouring ladle. You'll use it to dip into your pot of molten lead and pour into your molds. They have the volume of about half a golf ball. An old soup ladle or similar is useful for skimming off dirt and crud from the surface of the molten lead. Use beeswax as a flux to return the alloy to a homogenous mix and to help separate out the dirt. As mentioned in an earlier post, a bullet lube that works for your bullets and rifle will have to be found. Enjoy the journey!....and post pics! :-)
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by von_klitzing » 03 Apr 2014, 10:11 pm

I've read that sawdust is the best flux for both returning the tin to the melt and removing the problematic impurities. :)
http://www.lasc.us/FryxellFluxing.htm

I have just started out as well and rang around some "woodworking" places and found one timber yard that was willing to give away untreated sawdust, but the mill was 1/2hour drive away. One other cabinet and door making workshop offered 2 massive bags of fine sawdust for $15 and they were a 5 minute drive. end result, $15 for 2x massive garbage bags of sawdust and a very dusty me :) Also picked up some candles, matches and wax paper for allowing the bullet lube to set (baking paper?).

**NOTE** Don't use any kind of lighter eg. bic or bbq lighter coz if you drop it in the molten lead you're gonna have a bad time.

There are tons of helpful stickies on http://castboolits.gunloads.com/ and plenty of youtube vids of rednecks spitting in jars while melting lead :P
von_klitzing
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Noisydad » 04 Apr 2014, 6:14 am

...... and plenty of youtube vids of rednecks spitting in jars while melting lead :P

This IS your future! :lol:
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Swarm » 10 Apr 2014, 7:20 pm

Check out this thread, Guy.

Lots of casting talk and pictures posted already.
Sako 75 Hunter IV 6.5x55 SE with Leupold VX-3L 4.5-14x50mm
CZ 455 .22LR with Leupold VX-R 3-9x40mm CDS
Winchester 88 .284 Winchester
Swarm
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Return to Centerfire rifles