2021 Tikka Super Varmint - Does anyone own one?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

2021 Tikka Super Varmint - Does anyone own one?

Post by sbd850 » 20 Jun 2021, 10:52 am

I finally got my license and ordered a 2021 Tikka Super Varmint in 6.5CM.

The main differences to the older model are that it has a cerakote finish on the barrel, a threaded muzzle as standard, a fluted bolt knob and more grip on the stock.

Anyway I was wondering if anyone here owns one of these and if they've used it yet. How does it feel and perform compared to the older model?

Since putting the order down, I've realised the older model has dropped down in price and I could have had it for about $700 less. 

Anyway there's very little info on this rifle as it's only been around for a few months so if anyone owns one and has some info on how it stacks up compared to the old model etc. I'd love to hear some details.
Have I made a good choice for a first rifle to get into some target shooting? I'll probably pair it with an Athlon Argos 6-24 and a bipod. I'm not sure if there's any need for a muzzle brake on a 6.5CM though.

Cheers
sbd850
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: 2021 Tikka Super Varmint - Does anyone own one?

Post by ZaineB » 20 Jun 2021, 11:47 am

saw the price on them at the local, no thanks. lol
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by MontyShooter » 20 Jun 2021, 12:05 pm

Surely it’s identical to the old one. It’s just a different colour paint…
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by sbd850 » 20 Jun 2021, 12:26 pm

MontyShooter wrote:Surely it’s identical to the old one. It’s just a different colour paint…

Well I'm a little unsure, from the very few videos I've seen groups don't look as tight as the old model. I know this depends on the shooter etc.

And I just want to make sure I haven't ripped myself off. I could have gotten a CTR for 2150 and the new Super Varmint is 2450. Does the value of a threaded muzzle, fluted bolt knob and Cerakote equate to $300?
sbd850
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 20 Jun 2021, 12:52 pm

sbd850 wrote:And I just want to make sure I haven't ripped myself off. I could have gotten a CTR for 2150 and the new Super Varmint is 2450. Does the value of a threaded muzzle, fluted bolt knob and Cerakote equate to $300?

Nope.

It's completely annecdotal, but i swear the new tikkas coming out don't group as well as they did say 5 years ago.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by sbd850 » 20 Jun 2021, 1:22 pm

in2anity wrote:
sbd850 wrote:And I just want to make sure I haven't ripped myself off. I could have gotten a CTR for 2150 and the new Super Varmint is 2450. Does the value of a threaded muzzle, fluted bolt knob and Cerakote equate to $300?

Nope.

It's completely annecdotal, but i swear the new tikkas coming out don't group as well as they did say 5 years ago.

Certainly looks nice though, I thought cerakote made it more resistent etc.

Hmmm guess it's too late for me to revoke my order and go for a cheaper option anyway.
sbd850
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by cz515 » 20 Jun 2021, 1:30 pm

in2anity wrote:

Nope.

A mate of mine got it in 6.5cm end of 2019. Very very accurate routinely shoots group of 5 at 0.3-0.4inch at 100m.

Most ppl I know are super happy with their tikka super varmints.
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by sbd850 » 20 Jun 2021, 2:56 pm

I do like the features, even though they don't do anything for performance.

With the stock being a little light for *eventual* long range target shooting, what's something heavier I could upgrade to?
sbd850
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by cz515 » 20 Jun 2021, 11:04 pm

Bell & Carlson. Plus quite a few tactical ones
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 21 Jun 2021, 8:23 am

cz515 wrote:A mate of mine got it in 6.5cm end of 2019. Very very accurate routinely shoots group of 5 at 0.3-0.4inch at 100m.

Most ppl I know are super happy with their tikka super varmints.

Yeah you are probably right. No substance to my conjecture.

They are very accurate; really they are a target rifle.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by sbd850 » 21 Jun 2021, 9:16 am

cz515 wrote:Bell & Carlson. Plus quite a few tactical ones

Sweet I'll look into those
sbd850
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by cz515 » 21 Jun 2021, 9:17 am

Been told they need a good stock with proper bedding. Maybe those having issues have standard plasticy/polymer stocks
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by cz515 » 21 Jun 2021, 9:23 am

Been told they need a good stock with proper bedding. Maybe those having issues have standard plasticy/polymer stocks
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 21 Jun 2021, 8:42 pm

cz515 wrote:Been told they need a good stock with proper bedding. Maybe those having issues have standard plasticy/polymer stocks

I have a few T3 Supervarmints and they shoot well in the standard Tupperware stock, a GRS Bifrost and a chassis without bedding. Shoots under an inch if the conditions are right at 300 and under three inches at 500. I have one in a walnut stock which is bedded and what do you know, is shoots great groups as well. These are chambered in 243, 22/250 and 223.

I don't think you will be disappointed with your 6.5mm.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles