CZ 550 7mm Rem Mag for hunting in the NT

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

CZ 550 7mm Rem Mag for hunting in the NT

Post by salate » 04 Apr 2014, 1:18 pm

Posting this on behalf of a mate on the NT who can't figure out how to use a computer apparently :roll:

New shooter, first rifle, hunting the usual spread in NT... Fox, pig, deer, whatever he can get.

It wouldn't be his usual beat but they have the option for the big fellas like buffalo up north too. I think they hunt camels too right?

He likes the CZ 550 from a visit to his LGS, and has 7mm Rem Mag in mind.

So, question 1 = Thoughts on CZ 550?

Question 2 = 7mm Rem Mag for Buffalo, camel, big NT stuff?

I don't really know anything about hunting that stuff in NT so any advice to pass on would be appreciated.

Cheers.
salate
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: CZ 550 7mm Rem Mag for hunting in the NT

Post by bobnob » 05 Apr 2014, 7:09 am

Well the CZ550 is a beautiful rifle. No risk there. A fraction towards the heavy side but you want that in a magnum.

As for shooting buffalo, I haven't shot one. I have shot some wild cattle and big wild horses too however. The 7mm Rem Mag is enough for that sort of stuff.

I have found the Nosler Partition a really good bullet and if he used the 175g version of that bullet in his 7mm RM I think he would not be undergunned. In fact it would be an awesomely powerful combo with good loads.
bobnob
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Weepy » 05 Apr 2014, 7:34 am

Not a buffalo hunter either, but from other game I can tell you first hand the 7mm RM isn't short on power.

It will obviously do the job for everything south of Buffalo and get him into that neighbourhood.

How big are the ones he's after?

There are buffalo, and then there are BUFFALO!

They range in weight from 300–550 kg (660–1,210 lb), but weights of over 1,000 kg (2,200 lb) have also been observed. - Wiki
Weatherby Mark V Accumark 7mm Rem. Mag.
Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x40mm

Browning BL-22 .22LR
Weepy
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by salate » 05 Apr 2014, 7:37 am

Didn't think to ask about the weights, and he didn't offer the info up front.

Nothing nothing about them myself I didn't occur to be that there size would vary so greatly.
salate
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by fordj » 05 Apr 2014, 7:38 am

I'm not sure we get 1,000kg ones here though?

I think that's really restricted to the African Buffalo, right?

Or wrong?
Tikka T3 Hunter in 308
Savage Model 10 in 22-250
fordj
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Post by Harper » 05 Apr 2014, 7:41 am

1,000kg would be rare, but a big male can 750kg - 850kg here in Aus no problems.
Savage 14/114 American Classic 30-06 Springfield
Savage Axis 25-06 Remington
Harper
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by Norton » 05 Apr 2014, 7:43 am

bobnob wrote:Well the CZ550 is a beautiful rifle. No risk there.

Oh yes.

I got my 550 a while ago and it's replaced all my other rifles as the favourite.
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by AusC » 05 Apr 2014, 7:52 am

This is from Buffalo Safaris. Something for your mate to read.

Decades ago the Victorian Government, after consultation with experienced sambar hunters decided that the 270 with a130gr projectile was the minimum reliable and humane calibre for hunting sambar. Buffalo are large, thick skinned animals, mature buffalo bulls in particular, and they weigh around three times more than a sambar stag. The appropriate calibre and bullet for effective and humane close quarters hunting is therefore commensurately greater.

The various 9.3mm offerings with 293gr or 320gr projectiles are my suggested minimum as these provide good penetration on a par with the 375 H&H using 300gr bullets. I have found the 350gr Woodleigh projectiles travelling at modest velocities are superior to the various 300gr offerings. (Do not use the various 270gr projectiles in 375, these are not designed for thick skinned game and also lack the sectional density for reliable penetration).

Anything larger and more powerful will do the job better provided the user can tolerate the recoil and place his shots.

A 416 or 404 with 400gr projectiles and a low powered scope (a 1 – 5 power variable is ideal) is perhaps the best choice with regard to weight, bullet performance and accuracy. Projectiles should be strongly constructed and of the round nose variety, softs or solids, as long range shots will not be taken.

Full article here.
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by buster » 05 Apr 2014, 1:00 pm

The various 9.3mm offerings

If you want a 9.3mm you can get my favourite rifle - Sako Bavarian Carbine, mmmmmm so good.
Mossberg MVP Varmint .223 Rem
Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40

Howa 1500 Stainless .308 Win
Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40
buster
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by salate » 05 Apr 2014, 1:03 pm

Thanks AusC.

I'll pass it along.

He's new to the game obviously so I don't see any world record setters in his immediate future :lol:

If the 7mm RM will do him for everything else and get a foot in the door buffalo hunting I think that will do. If big buffalo becomes his thing down the road he can always get another shooter then, but I imagine that's a while away...
salate
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Norton » 05 Apr 2014, 1:04 pm

He can shout me a trip to NT for a buffalo hunt and I'll lend him my .416 550 ;)
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Centerfire rifles