Got the .223, now for something bigger !

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Got the .223, now for something bigger !

Post by Kurnal » 11 Jul 2021, 12:03 pm

So the advice on here was super helpful in helping me choose my Lithgow .223, and I couldn't be happier with it.

Now I am looking for a larger calibre for bigger game hunting. Deer and pigs mainly. Researching this will be a good way to spend lockdown here in Sydney.

I would love to get another Lithgow, but I feel it will be too heavy as I will be doing multi day trips covering a lot of ground. Hope to do some guided stuff in NZ if and when we can ever travel again.

Happy to spend a few grand on the gun.

Throw some suggestions at me !

Thanks all.
CZ 455 .22LR Vixen 4-16 x 44
Ligthgow LA102 .223 Optika5 3-15 x 44
Tikka T3x Lite Stainless .308 Leupold Vx3i 4.5-14 x 40
Kurnal
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Got the .223, now for something bigger !

Post by MontyShooter » 11 Jul 2021, 12:15 pm

Blaser r8 pro in 338 lap
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 11 Jul 2021, 12:28 pm

I would recommend 308. Every gun store sells it and it is cheap. It will drop any 4 legged creature in Australia or New Zealand and it can also be used as a long range target round. It is the most versatile round in history if you ask me.

Oceania Precision sell the sp25 in 308. It is a spring assisted bolt action rifle which would help in quick follow up shots in the field. They are made in NSW and sell a NSW compliant fixed stock version. Lithgow also sell the LA102 again made in NSW.

If you are happy with your 223 Lithgow you will love their 308.
Last edited by Communism_Is_Cancer on 11 Jul 2021, 12:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by ZaineB » 11 Jul 2021, 12:34 pm

if you have money to splash around get something interesting like a 300 norma or 30 nosler, 270 weatherby mag, 28 nosler, .284win, etc etc in a weatherby mkV or a Nosler bolt gun or a Kimber or something.

if I was getting a bigger rifle I might try my luck at a 338RUM or 378 Weatherby, but then I am building a track car now so chances are gun purchases arent on the horizon haha
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by Gun-nut » 11 Jul 2021, 2:07 pm

Can't go wrong with a tikka if you want something that is no frills and perfectly functional. Though if you want something a bit unique, the Browning Maral straight pull has always piqued my interest and the straight pull will be handy for chasing mobs of pigs.
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Veetwin » 11 Jul 2021, 2:23 pm

My vote is the LA102 308. We should buy local as much as we can, especially in this crazy world we now live in.
Veetwin
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by duncan61 » 11 Jul 2021, 2:32 pm

I agree with commo boy.We all love our exotic chamberings but ammo availability is an issue if you do not roll your own.Zaine are you talking speedway stock car if so where do you race
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Wm.Traynor » 11 Jul 2021, 3:20 pm

I like my Model 70 Winchester :D Might be an idea to get the synthetic stock version if you are going to hunt in nasty climates.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 11 Jul 2021, 3:21 pm

NZ, perhaps longish ranges, perhaps Vic for deer, rules apply.

Magnums tend to kick like a mule. So, be carefulI, suggest you test fire the chambering before you commit to buy.

Otherwise,
These are popular for a reason, ammo availability and cost. Also they do the job.
30.06, 270, 308, 7x57, all OK in Vic.

You carry a lot. Sooo, suggest no more than 8lb with scope.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bugman » 11 Jul 2021, 3:43 pm

A Lithgow in 308 would be my choice, with maybe a Tikka in 30-06 as second consideration. Both these calibres have been around for many moons and with excellent reputations. As OB said, magnums can be challenging to use in the field. Choice is yours.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by ZaineB » 11 Jul 2021, 5:18 pm

duncan61 wrote:I agree with commo boy.We all love our exotic chamberings but ammo availability is an issue if you do not roll your own.Zaine are you talking speedway stock car if so where do you race

Use to have a commonwh0re running a worked and boosted LS back in the day drifting then modded it out for Targa after I realized I dont like paying for tyres every 2 days. Anyways divorces and career changes and lifestyle decisions means Current build is a BMW restomod for Targa. missed this years sprint in Albany, but would likely do any Targa event that I can noodle my way into. Car has got reinforced pillars and suspension (K frames so needed some extra beef for longevity) aside from that its street seats, belts and steering. Engine is a boosted M54 2.8L on a getrag 6.

back to guns, exotics are great however, I mean if its just a deer gun etc, then owning say 400 rounds in total is more than enough, load some for different occasions and such. Im a fan of HP and a fan of gunpower so big things like the Norma Mags and so on push my buttons sufficiently
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by Bello » 11 Jul 2021, 5:24 pm

Hi Mate
243 is a medium calibre, by this I mean, no too much recoil. There is lots of pre-loaded ammo for it (OSA, do a 70g, 87gr and 100gr) I find it is accurate out of my 243. I like the 87gr out of my 243, very effective.
Not to expensive to run. Less recoil than 308.
The 243 will take all small varmints, small pigs and small deer sized game if shot placement is good.

Then the 270 is also good. More recoil then 243, but I find it is limited in the size of projectile it will shoot accurately. I use 130gr in mine and it works well.
This will take small varmints up to larger deer and larger pigs. Also louder.

Then there is the 308. Very versatile round. I find it will put down all game. Ammo can be found for varmints up to large pig and deer.
Most country gun shops stock the ammo. Louder with more recoil.
This would be my choice if you wanted to save buying lots of other gun calibres.

There are plenty of other calibres like the 6.5. or 7mm-08. All good for what you want.
Just depends on what you want to do, your average distance you believe you want to hunt.

I would steer clear of magnum calibres. LOTS of recoil, very loud for hunting. Expensive to run.

My larger calibre, walk around rifle, is a Sako finnlight in 308. Light, effective. I use a 135gr OSA (Sierra) preloaded bullets. Nothing has managed to walk by and not be stopped with this round by me in my travels.

Good luck :thumbsup:
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by No1Mk3 » 11 Jul 2021, 6:03 pm

Ruger 77 in 308, light, easy carry, very versatile cartridge. I have a 77 MkII paddle stock with a 3-9 Weaver V9 which I hunted all over NZ, Victoria and parts of western Queensland and the only other rifle I have enjoyed as much is my Winnie 94 30-30 but it is no good fo the longer shots. Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 11 Jul 2021, 6:18 pm

Howa 308 cheap Strong accurate avail in many variants cheap factory ammo too , scope attachment is easy. and if for some reason You change your mind flogg it off and the excercise might cost you 150 bucks
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 11 Jul 2021, 6:34 pm

Queensland is good in the fact that if you hate your firearm or it is old and broken you can “like for like” swap it for a firearm of the same action and calibre without having to get a new PTA. Just go to the dealer give it to him and walk out with your new firearm.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Harrynsw » 11 Jul 2021, 6:48 pm

I'd suggest .308 which is good, but I'd say go 30-06 which gives you a bit more grunt down range when you will eventually want to shoot longer distances.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Baronvonrort » 11 Jul 2021, 7:11 pm

Kurnal wrote:So the advice on here was super helpful in helping me choose my Lithgow .223, and I couldn't be happier with it.

Now I am looking for a larger calibre for bigger game hunting. Deer and pigs mainly. Researching this will be a good way to spend lockdown here in Sydney.

Happy to spend a few grand on the gun.

Throw some suggestions at me !

Thanks all.

Terminus Zeus action the one that allows you to switch barrels i think Delta Tactical still have them.

The get Swan or Maddco to make barrels in whatever caliber you desire you could get a .243,260,7mm-08 , 308, 30-06 even 6.5 manbun they can be light or heavy barrels long or short depending on use. With a good action the barrel is really the crux for accuracy the Aussie barrel makers do a great job.

This action also converts to .223, 204 ruger and 300 blackout by changing bolt and magazine or of you stick to the 308 based cases with a long action you could get a bolt and magazines for magnums.

It costs more to begin with yet by the time you add up what decent optics cost for multiple rifles it probably works out cheaper in the long run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBLRKY7f-jE
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 11 Jul 2021, 7:18 pm

Oldbloke wrote:NZ, perhaps longish ranges, perhaps Vic for deer, rules apply.

Magnums tend to kick like a mule. So, be carefulI, suggest you test fire the chambering before you commit to buy.

Otherwise,
These are popular for a reason, ammo availability and cost. Also they do the job.
30.06, 270, 308, 7x57, all OK in Vic.

You carry a lot. Sooo, suggest no more than 8lb with scope.

+1 on this . after buying,selling, playing around with all sorts of calibers , i ended up with a 270 win . shoots flat, ammo readily available . it's got a bit more energy and shoots flatter than 6.5x55 , 7x57 ect , which are long held to be great deer rifles . has a little less recoil than 30-06 . for most game in australia a 140-150 gn projectile out of a 270 should do the job . of coarse you can handload from 90-160 grain if you like :thumbsup:

beware 300 win mags in light rifles like a tikka t3 lite . you won't like it . i could be wrong , but the lithgows are a bit on the heavy side aren't they ?
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by solarpak » 11 Jul 2021, 8:15 pm

A 270 .......in a rifle weighinng no more than 3kg bare .
Add a set of talley lightweight rings / bases and a decent 3-9x40 scope (Swaro Z3 , Meopta Meopro etc...) for a final weight around 3.5-3.6 kgs - the perfect stalking and mountain rifle for Oz and over the ditch.

C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 11 Jul 2021, 8:28 pm

solarpak wrote:A 270 .......in a rifle weighinng no more than 3kg bare .
Add a set of talley lightweight rings / bases and a decent 3-9x40 scope (Swaro Z3 , Meopta Meopro etc...) for a final weight around 3.5-3.6 kgs - the perfect stalking and mountain rifle for Oz and over the ditch.

C.

i have a vx3i 3.5-10x40 on mine . and don't you mean "over da dutch " :P bro :lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by mchughcb » 11 Jul 2021, 9:51 pm

MontyShooter wrote:Blaser r8 pro in 338 lap

Outstanding choice.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by boingk » 11 Jul 2021, 10:32 pm

Hey mate, some very varied (and good!) options in here.

I'll throw my hat in the ring for a Ruger American in 308.

Yeah, I know, not exactly a Cadillac of a rifle in terms of finish and appearance but then again it weighs in at 6 pounds bare and shoots sub-MOA easily. Doesn't cost the earth so you can spend more on optics if you so desire. Flush rotary mag means you can carry a spare, or even a larger aftermarket one should you so choose. They do a ton of variants but I'd be tempted by one of the Predator 308's with 18" barrel.

I own one and wouldn't hesitate to take it in place of any of my more expensive or refined offerings. The fact its an inexpensive rifle means I don't worry about it as much in the field, either.

Again, not a refined rifle but its bloody satisfying to shoot. Hits hard right where you point it and is light to carry. Whats not to like?

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 11 Jul 2021, 11:27 pm

boingk wrote:Hey mate, some very varied (and good!) options in here.

I'll throw my hat in the ring for a Ruger American in 308.

Yeah, I know, not exactly a Cadillac of a rifle in terms of finish and appearance but then again it weighs in at 6 pounds bare and shoots sub-MOA easily. Doesn't cost the earth so you can spend more on optics if you so desire. Flush rotary mag means you can carry a spare, or even a larger aftermarket one should you so choose. They do a ton of variants but I'd be tempted by one of the Predator 308's with 18" barrel.

I own one and wouldn't hesitate to take it in place of any of my more expensive or refined offerings. The fact its an inexpensive rifle means I don't worry about it as much in the field, either.

Again, not a refined rifle but its bloody satisfying to shoot. Hits hard right where you point it and is light to carry. Whats not to like?

- boingk

That would do nicely. Then just drop a respectable 3-9×40 on top. Boring but effective.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bman940 » 12 Jul 2021, 1:33 am

+1 for the .308 Win for all the reasons mentioned above. It's a great round and will take down whatever you are hunting, including water buffalo. It all comes down to quality bullet selection and practice. Put a Meopta Optika5 3-15x44 scope on it and off you go. The .308 Win will let you have long-range fun or hunting success, just put in the range time.
bman940
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by Kurnal » 12 Jul 2021, 9:07 am

This is so good...thanks all. Lots of lockdown research now.
CZ 455 .22LR Vixen 4-16 x 44
Ligthgow LA102 .223 Optika5 3-15 x 44
Tikka T3x Lite Stainless .308 Leupold Vx3i 4.5-14 x 40
Kurnal
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 12 Jul 2021, 9:40 am

If I was starting out again, I'd seriously consider a 6.5
They're becoming very popular for a good reason and the choice of projectiles is expanding.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 12 Jul 2021, 10:36 am

on_one_wheel wrote:If I was starting out again, I'd seriously consider a 6.5
They're becoming very popular for a good reason and the choice of projectiles is expanding.

i had a 6.5x55 in a crf model 70 . hot loaded it to do what i wanted , 270 win does the job with more energy and no stress , recoil feels about the same . yeah , 6.5 has good ballistics for long range target , but for hunting the 270 has a good rep for a reason . just my 2cents :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Harrynsw » 12 Jul 2021, 1:34 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:If I was starting out again, I'd seriously consider a 6.5

:D no pun intended
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by boingk » 12 Jul 2021, 2:24 pm

Only drama with the 6.5 is (I think) it isn't legal for certain game in some states... if you're at all concerned about that.

Having said that they do offer the Ruger in 6.5 Creedmoor... mind you good luck finding ammo or projectiles for 6.5 anything at the moment.

Here's old mate nailing an AR500 target at 1000 yards with a basic Ruger American / Vortex Optics combo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QUjRRr5JsA
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by ZaineB » 12 Jul 2021, 2:31 pm

boingk wrote:Only drama with the 6.5 is (I think) it isn't legal for certain game in some states... if you're at all concerned about that.

Having said that they do offer the Ruger in 6.5 Creedmoor... mind you good luck finding ammo or projectiles for 6.5 anything at the moment.

Here's old mate nailing an AR500 target at 1000 yards with a basic Ruger American / Vortex Optics combo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QUjRRr5JsA

assuming cost is a variable, the manbun calibers are all massive hits to the pocket, I can get 300 magnum rounds cheaper than my mate buys 6.5 manbun for.
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles