Got the .223, now for something bigger !

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Got the .223, now for something bigger !

Post by bigrich » 22 Jul 2021, 4:17 am

ZaineB wrote:
boingk wrote:
Where it gets really interesting is the big boppers like 45-70 or the big game magnums. They're often upward of $5 a round. I can reload my 45-70 for 60c or so a round, and cheapest factory ammo is about $3.50 a shot.

hey boingk, any pointers on your 45-70 loads? what components? what velocities are you getting?

cheers

The thing that got my attention with 45-70 is there’s soooo many good ways to load it, from mild to wild.
Lead bullets and pistol powder are moderate with velocity and recoil but will penetrate better than jacketed projectiles. Cheap to load too
I’m starting mine off this weekend on mild trapdoor loads of 2219 and 300 hornady hp’s . Not so cheap with powder, my starter load is 57gn’s ;)
But if I was worried about cost I’d probably just stay home and drink beer......
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 22 Jul 2021, 10:16 am

Wait till you really start mucking around with exotic loads in it....
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 22 Jul 2021, 12:12 pm

bigpete wrote:Wait till you really start mucking around with exotic loads in it....

:? :shock:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 22 Jul 2021, 12:47 pm

Like....triple ball loads,or shotshell loads,or super heavy loads lol
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by boingk » 22 Jul 2021, 12:59 pm

ZaineB wrote:hey boingk, any pointers on your 45-70 loads? what components? what velocities are you getting

Hi mate, I haven't chronographed anything yet but I'm working with a few loads at the moment. If you've used the two least expensive commercial loads thats a good yardmark. The PPU is a soft Trapdoor style load with 405gn at 1300fps, the Federal a more moderate modern offering with 300gn at 1850fps.

Anyone reading this remember to work your own loads up, start mild, and use at your own risk... the usual firearm explody type stuff :mrgreen:

These are for my recent production Remington-Marlin 1895GBL with Ballard type rifling.

I'm chasing around the 2000fps mark with 350gn coated hardcast using 2206H / Federal Large Magnum primers as that's what I have in quantity. Current load is 58gn, just gotta chrono it (I suspect it'll be around the 1800fps mark as ADI velocities are for 24" barrel and mine is 18'5") but it seems to shoot well enough out of the Marlin 1895GBL.

I've got a few Blackwidow 405gn coated hardcast from a previous buy and have found them nice and accurate with 14.3gn (3.1cc dipper) of Trailboss. I'm getting an inch at 100m with that load and an ancient 4-power Barska scope so pretty happy with it, plus its nice and mild. I use the same charge with my home cast and tumble-lubed ones and it works at .460" sizing - less than that they strip and spin sideways.

Hope that helps!

- boingk
Last edited by boingk on 22 Jul 2021, 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by bigrich » 22 Jul 2021, 9:34 pm

boingk wrote:
ZaineB wrote:hey boingk, any pointers on your 45-70 loads? what components? what velocities are you getting

Hi mate, I haven't chronographed anything yet but I'm working with a few loads at the moment. If you've used the two least expensive commercial loads thats a good yardmark. The PPU is a soft Trapdoor style load with 405gn at 1300fps, the Federal a more moderate modern offering with 300gn at 1850fps.

Anyone reading this remember to work your own loads up, start mild, and use at your own risk... the usual firearm explody type stuff :mrgreen:

I'm chasing around the 2000fps mark with 350gn coated hardcast using 2206H / Federal Large Magnum primers as that's what I have in quantity. Current load is 58gn, just gotta chrono it (I suspect it'll be around the 1800fps mark as ADI velocities are for 24" barrel and mine is 18'5") but it seems to shoot well enough out of the Marlin 1895GBL.

I've got a few Blackwidow 405gn coated hardcast from a previous buy and have found them nice and accurate with 14.3gn (3.1cc dipper) of Trailboss. I'm getting an inch at 100m with that load and an ancient 4-power Barska scope so pretty happy with it, plus its nice and mild. I use the same charge with my home cast and tumble-lubed ones and it works at .460" sizing - less than that they strip and spin sideways.

Hope that helps!

- boingk

is your rifle micro-groove or ballard rifling ?
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by boingk » 22 Jul 2021, 10:01 pm

bigrich wrote:is your rifle micro-groove or ballard rifling ?

SHould have mentioned, Ballard type rifling. Recent production Remingto-Marling 1895GBL. Original post edited to suit.
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by Blr243 » 22 Jul 2021, 10:03 pm

Boingk , u are a useful member.. you should stay on this forum
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by dusty fog » 23 Jul 2021, 9:19 am

actually im going to suggest a 300 wsm,i use 165 gr speer spbt which are cheap for reloading and use that for wallaby to wapiti,i just cottoned on to this when the shortage became apparent and found that the difference in price between the 165 and 125/130 wasnt worth worrying about and u only sight in the once n no swapping and shagging about
dusty fog
Recruit
Recruit

New Zealand

Post by bigrich » 23 Jul 2021, 4:23 pm

dusty fog wrote:actually im going to suggest a 300 wsm,i use 165 gr speer spbt which are cheap for reloading and use that for wallaby to wapiti,i just cottoned on to this when the shortage became apparent and found that the difference in price between the 165 and 125/130 wasnt worth worrying about and u only sight in the once n no swapping and shagging about

good projectile . i had a sako a7 that shot really well with these and they're nicely priced :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by ZaineB » 23 Jul 2021, 5:14 pm

I'd agree with WSM as long as mag size and heavier pills arent a point of contention in the future, wider brass means smaller mag capacities and they dont perform as well as other magnums once you go above 165gn. also how many cheaper rifles are in the midst in that chambering now? last time I saw any in store they were in thinks like Sako, Kimber and the likes, which are sexy rifles but not budget friendly.

cheers
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by bigrich » 23 Jul 2021, 5:30 pm

ZaineB wrote:I'd agree with WSM as long as mag size and heavier pills arent a point of contention in the future, wider brass means smaller mag capacities and they dont perform as well as other magnums once you go above 165gn. also how many cheaper rifles are in the midst in that chambering now? last time I saw any in store they were in thinks like Sako, Kimber and the likes, which are sexy rifles but not budget friendly.

cheers

I know the WSM cartridges have their fan’s and uses, but brass availability, and a higher degree of wear the the chamber throat rule them out for me. If I had a use for magnum calibers I’d stick to the long action just for the easy brass available.
I’d actually considered a 358 Norma, but it’s more than I would need. Brass is easily made from 300/338 win brass. Check the ballistics . Great reach and power, but it’ll fit in a 30-06 length action
I know I’m rambling, but this post is about something bigger than a 223 . I’m going back to setting up my scope on my 45-70 now...... :D
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by boingk » 23 Jul 2021, 10:26 pm

bigrich wrote:I know I’m rambling, but this post is about something bigger than a 223 . I’m going back to setting up my scope on my 45-70 now...... :D

Excellent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKUOB8MN4Kc
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 24 Jul 2021, 6:43 am

ZaineB wrote:I'd agree with WSM as long as mag size and heavier pills arent a point of contention in the future, wider brass means smaller mag capacities and they dont perform as well as other magnums once you go above 165gn. also how many cheaper rifles are in the midst in that chambering now? last time I saw any in store they were in thinks like Sako, Kimber and the likes, which are sexy rifles but not budget friendly.

cheers

The OP went 308 about two weeks ago.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by ZaineB » 24 Jul 2021, 9:46 am

we know, its called banter
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by bigpete » 24 Jul 2021, 10:01 am

Oldbloke wrote:

cheers

The OP went 308 about two weeks ago.

:drinks:
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 24 Jul 2021, 11:46 am

ZaineB wrote:we know, its called banter

:drinks:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 24 Jul 2021, 12:55 pm

ZaineB wrote:we know, its called banter

:drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: i didn't want to feel left out .......... :lol: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 24 Jul 2021, 7:52 pm

boingk wrote:
bigrich wrote:I know I’m rambling, but this post is about something bigger than a 223 . I’m going back to setting up my scope on my 45-70 now...... :D

Excellent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKUOB8MN4Kc

i discovered something today , 45-70's ARE FUUUUNN ! . and the more powder you stuff in 'em , the more fun they get :D
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 24 Jul 2021, 8:10 pm

They're ok. Lol
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by boingk » 24 Jul 2021, 8:19 pm

bigrich wrote:i discovered something today , 45-70's ARE FUUUUNN ! . and the more powder you stuff in 'em , the more fun they get :D

Hell yeah mate! Welcome to the club! :mrgreen:

How good is the sound of one or those big old cases whooshing through the air onto the ground?!

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by Blr243 » 24 Jul 2021, 9:48 pm

I’m not terribly fond of yanks, their loud, annoying egos , but I confess we would not have the 4570 If it were not for them
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by ZaineB » 24 Jul 2021, 10:05 pm

Blr243 wrote:I’m not terribly fond of yanks, their loud, annoying egos , but I confess we would not have the 4570 If it were not for them

I know A LOT of yanks, well Americans, cos yankees technically ~50% of them ish...

I do know some obnoxious ones, but maybe 2 in total and one of those isnt full time obnoxious, the rest are all well educated and quietly mannered and speak with a more complex vocab than most Aussies I know. not very egotistic either,

Lets face it, if not for the Muricans we would have very few of the calibers we enjoy and use frequently.
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by bigrich » 24 Jul 2021, 10:33 pm

ZaineB wrote:
Blr243 wrote:I’m not terribly fond of yanks, their loud, annoying egos , but I confess we would not have the 4570 If it were not for them

I know A LOT of yanks, well Americans, cos yankees technically ~50% of them ish...

I do know some obnoxious ones, but maybe 2 in total and one of those isnt full time obnoxious, the rest are all well educated and quietly mannered and speak with a more complex vocab than most Aussies I know. not very egotistic either,

Lets face it, if not for the Muricans we would have very few of the calibers we enjoy and use frequently.

i know of some old blues songs rehashed by "jonny winter" in the 70's. mentioning "32-20's and a 44, shotgun on my shoulder , that bitch couldn't wish for more......" :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles