Sako 85 Bavarian

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Sako 85 Bavarian

Post by stavro94 » 11 Jul 2021, 3:18 pm

Looking into buying a 270WIN and I absolutely love the look of the Sako 85 Bavarian, my inquiry is I’ve read that there has been quite a number of people who have had ejector issues where it smacks the scopes and they have had to get the highest scope mounts to avoid this.
I want to know if this is a rare issue or if it is something that should deter me from buying this, I’m happy to spend the money for a Sako but not if it comes with an issues.
stavro94
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Sako 85 Bavarian

Post by Bugman » 11 Jul 2021, 3:38 pm

I would talk to the people at Beretta (Sako agents), not the sales people, but the technical guys and see if they can shed some light on this subject. I have a couple of mates with the Sako 85 Bavarian (very expensive) and they have had no issues with the scopes mounted and the shell casing ejecting. I think, from memory, the scope mounts were Talleys and the scope on one was a Meopta and the other guy had a Zeiss.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 11 Jul 2021, 4:04 pm

stavro94 wrote:Looking into buying a 270WIN and I absolutely love the look of the Sako 85 Bavarian, my inquiry is I’ve read that there has been quite a number of people who have had ejector issues where it smacks the scopes and they have had to get the highest scope mounts to avoid this.
I want to know if this is a rare issue or if it is something that should deter me from buying this, I’m happy to spend the money for a Sako but not if it comes with an issues.

mate i recently swapped from a sako L61 finnbear in 270 for a brand new sako 85 in 270 . no ejection issues with low optilocks and a 25mm scope tube . you have to bring back the bolt at a reasonable pace for reliable ejection . on the other side , i bring the bolt back just fast enough to eject the case of the bolt back into the receiver, where i can easily pick it up to put it in my pocket . i like this feature . i pulled my new sako out of it's box , fired about 40 factory loads to run in the barrel . worked up to the load i used in my L61 which resulted in 1/2' at 100 . haven't even bothered to adjust the trigger . perfect rifle straight out of the box

you're looking at the sako barvarian on usedguns aren't you :P . the only thing to consider is barvarian stocks are designed to line up the eye with factory irons . they have more drop at the shoulder end , which would nessecitate low scope mounts for a good cheek weld . i wouldn't advise extra low scope mounts as you could experience the ejection issues your worried about :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by solarpak » 11 Jul 2021, 8:22 pm

Yes the famed ejection issue. I have has a few sakos - a model 85 in 243 and 270 (which i still own) havent given any ejection problems but a Model 85 in 223 and two Sako A7's both gave me problems.

Operate these rifles without a scope fitted and ejection is fine....fit a scope in the usual manner (as low as possible ) and the ejected case would hit the underside of the turret housing and fall back into the ejection port.

The problem is the ejector claw isn't holding the case firmly against the bolt face and the degree of slop causes he case to eject upwards when it hits the blade ejector - not outwards as its supposed to.

C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 11 Jul 2021, 8:31 pm

solarpak wrote:Yes the famed ejection issue. I have has a few sakos - a model 85 in 243 and 270 (which i still own) havent given any ejection problems but a Model 85 in 223 and two Sako A7's both gave me problems.

Operate these rifles without a scope fitted and ejection is fine....fit a scope in the usual manner (as low as possible ) and the ejected case would hit the underside of the turret housing and fall back into the ejection port.

The problem is the ejector claw isn't holding the case firmly against the bolt face and the degree of slop causes he case to eject upwards when it hits the blade ejector - not outwards as its supposed to.

C.

i've heard the 85's have issues with the smaller calibers 204, 223 and such :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Return to Centerfire rifles