Savage Impulse Predator

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Savage Impulse Predator

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 11 Jul 2021, 8:26 pm

I ordered one of these bad boys. A savage impulse predator in 308. It will be my first straight pull bolt action in 308 and my first savage. I like the idea how you can change out the handle from the right to the left. Still a few weeks until the shipment arrives but it should be a fun rifle as it is something a bit different. What do you guys think of them? Who's buying one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64BfPlp ... e=youtu.be
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Re: Savage Impulse Predator

Post by Shootermick » 11 Jul 2021, 8:43 pm

I reckon they look pretty good. Not a cheap rifle, but I think one of these or a Browning Maral would be pretty handy if it’s quick follow up shots you’re after.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 11 Jul 2021, 9:13 pm

I already got a Blaser R93 which I've used for many years. The ball bearing lock up is similar to the French Chapius ROLS, which I've had a play with. Looks okay and should be pretty functional. The browning Maral I've used in the 300 Win Mag is okay too but the stocks can crack if you aren't careful. Shouldn't be an issue with the Savage.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Bill » 11 Jul 2021, 9:47 pm

Hey Communism sure is a nice feature being able to change the bolt handle but why would you ?? I'm a little intrigued by Savages efforts on a straight pull but it s out of my budget for sure.

the Million dollar question is it as good as a Roessler 16 /Mauser 96 ??
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by wrenchman » 13 Jul 2021, 2:51 am

I seen them when they first come out and have been thinking of getting one for my son but things are just getting back up here from covid and are not up to full pre covid so I have yet to see one
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Blr243 » 13 Jul 2021, 6:42 pm

I shoot prone off a bipod in the bush a fair bit , left hand cycling the bolt wood b great for me while maintaining right hand trigger position with right hand and maintaining sight picture ....but standing shooting off hand in the bush I think having the maral With the sprung self closing bolt would be faster .....I really do like the browning maral ...if one in stock I’ll probably do deposit tomorrow...a tough choice for me between the savage and the maral. Not really sure I’m making the right choice
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 05 Aug 2021, 3:13 pm

I am right handed but still good with my left hand. I like the idea of right hand on the trigger and left hand manipulating the bolt for follow up shots.

Check out this bloke in Canada.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M2nJUoj3qw
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 05 Aug 2021, 3:36 pm

Communism_Is_Cancer wrote:I am right handed but still good with my left hand. I like the idea of right hand on the trigger and left hand manipulating the bolt for follow up shots.

Check out this bloke in Canada.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M2nJUoj3qw

That is bloody awesome :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 05 Aug 2021, 5:03 pm

Yes it looks like a lot of fun. I am told they won't be in country until September now.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Downunder » 05 Aug 2021, 5:22 pm

Communism_Is_Cancer wrote:Yes it looks like a lot of fun. I am told they won't be in country until September now.

Only only 10 at that.
Downunder
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 05 Aug 2021, 5:35 pm

Downunder wrote:Only only 10 at that.

Good thing I got mine on order. You getting one?
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 05 Aug 2021, 6:40 pm

I have ordered the browning maral. It’s similar. Hopefully antis not see vids like that. I don’t want the government buying it back of me in 6 months time
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 05 Aug 2021, 6:50 pm

In the video the bloke says the government banned his other rifle because it is an “assault rifle” then proceeds to fire a bolt action rifle at a rather quick pace. Proving the point that the term assault rifle is a dubious driven term. Its the nut behind the butt that matters, not the action of the firearm.

In Queensland the term “straight pull” does not exist in a legal manner. We need to keep it that way as these are simple bolt action rifles
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 05 Aug 2021, 7:07 pm

After watching that vid, I am starting to wonder if my Remington 7600 isn't a bit old hat :huh:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Downunder » 05 Aug 2021, 8:14 pm

Communism_Is_Cancer wrote:
Downunder wrote:Only only 10 at that.

Good thing I got mine on order. You getting one?

I have one on order but it won’t be in this 10, they’re all taken.
Downunder
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 06 Aug 2021, 1:08 pm

Downunder wrote:I have one on order but it won’t be in this 10, they’re all taken.

I ordered mine through Cleavers, mine must be one of the 10 becsuse they told me the other day September. I will post photos when I get it. But dates can be wrong. I will believe it when its in my hands.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 06 Aug 2021, 2:04 pm

Don't want to dampen your enthusiasm, but with videos like that, some smart arse in the pol forces will want to ban it.

That's what happened to Adler
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by wrenchman » 09 Aug 2021, 1:12 am

I am interested in how it does for you I live here in the u.s. and have not seen one yet
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 09 Aug 2021, 7:46 am

Oldbloke wrote:Don't want to dampen your enthusiasm, but with videos like that, some smart arse in the pol forces will want to ban it.

That's what happened to Adler

See how the cookie crumbles mate.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 09 Aug 2021, 7:47 am

wrenchman wrote:I am interested in how it does for you I live here in the u.s. and have not seen one yet

I will post when I get her. Since ours have not arrived in country yet I would assume they have not made many yet?
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Tubs » 09 Aug 2021, 9:36 pm

Looks impressive but heavy
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 09 Aug 2021, 9:38 pm

Where’s my pta?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Downunder » 12 Aug 2021, 2:22 pm

@commy, I saw a NIOA debase the other day and the 10 imports were bumped to October on it.
Downunder
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 13 Aug 2021, 1:58 pm

Chaos mate.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by solarpak » 15 Sep 2021, 9:47 pm

Yeah the new Impulse is all the rage - but as many gun folk say " once you buy a Savage, you buy a Savage" - what that pertains to i dont know ?

I personally havent owned or shot any savage rifles but they seem very serviceable and well put together - and the new Impulse should do well once supply chain issues are sorted Post-COVID

C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by wrenchman » 16 Sep 2021, 10:38 am

Solarpak they also say they are like dating a ugly girl they do everything you want they just don't look as good doing it as far as savage cost is about half the cost as others here
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by MontyShooter » 16 Sep 2021, 11:44 am

I've always thought of Savage as cheap junk. But this model has me a little interested. I'll wait until a few more reviews come in. A braked 338 lap model would be worth a look if they made one.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bruiser64 » 10 Nov 2021, 4:01 pm

Communism_Is_Cancer wrote:Chaos mate.

Have you taken delivery of your rifle yet? If you have, what do you think of it? I like the idea of the Predator in 22-250. Having said that, they are a bit of an unknown quantity. A Tikka stainless varmint is a lot cheaper and a known quantity.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 10 Nov 2021, 5:54 pm

Still waiting mate. They are not even in the country yet. Shipping is chaotic at the moment.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Bruiser64 » 10 Nov 2021, 9:50 pm

Communism_Is_Cancer wrote:Still waiting mate. They are not even in the country yet. Shipping is chaotic at the moment.

That’s a bummer. They do look really interesting. I have a Savage model 25 in 204, which I like a lot. The Impulse is, by all accounts a very accurate rifle. Once you finally get it, I would be very interested to hear your opinion on it.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles