Could I have hurt my barrel? First shoot.

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Could I have hurt my barrel? First shoot.

Post by Lsfan » 27 Jul 2021, 3:41 pm

bigrich wrote:
Lsfan wrote:It’s funny I was googling barrel cleaning and there are numerous posts dating back 10 years ago from here including comments from current people saying cleaning rituals are BS. Some say clean it when new and then not til several hundred rounds later.

Something I realised is that the majority of 22 rounds are lead bullet so can’t present any copper fouling issues, only carbon buildup. In saying this I have been
using some mini-mag which are copper and I guess they are an exception. From what I gather the lower velocity ammo (namely 22) can use lead and it’s only higher velocities which require a copper jacket to protect the barrel from the lead.

I don’t shoot copper coated bullets in my 22lr . Clean when new out of the box, then just shoot lead . Usually you’ll notice it settle down after a couple of hundred rounds and become a tack driver with ammo it likes . I don’t clean the barrel unless accuracy drops off . I just run a loose clean patch through after shooting to remove any powder residue. That’s it . No oil in the barrel, oil everywhere else . I shoot SK ammo which has a lube on it which inhibits corrosion, so oiling the barrel is not required. That’s my view on the 22lr . Hope this helps. Cheers

Yeah actually I started using sk ammo. The range sells it quite cheaply and yes I found it to be quite oily.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Could I have hurt my barrel? First shoot.

Post by solarpak » 27 Jul 2021, 7:34 pm

The good ol barrel running in and cleaning thread once again......always a good one to contribute to.

Cleaning solvents - i always remove carbon build up FIRST with a good carbon remover (Bore tech) and cotton patches only.
Once the black crap is mostly out then use a good bore solvent - KG12, Boretech eliminator etc......and only patches. A snug fitting nylon brush can be used with a few drops of solvent if need be.

Bronze brushes - only for very stubborn copper fouling.

I always use nickel plated jags and nylon brushes .........solvents will always attach brass/bronze brushes and your patches will always come out blue (unless you use KG12 - where the copper comes out as a darkish brown, not blue!!)

C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles