Could I have hurt my barrel? First shoot.

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Could I have hurt my barrel? First shoot.

Post by disco stu » 15 Jul 2021, 3:51 pm

Old Bloke is such a good guy, always helping everyone out. I would take him up on that offer if I were you-not everyone will be so generous.

(Is the cheque in the mail yet Old Bloke? :) )
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by JohnV » 15 Jul 2021, 4:21 pm

If you don't clean properly fouling will build up slowly and to a point the barrel will be ruined and it will take a marathon of cleaning and solvent use to try and get it back to shooting well if at all possible .
Aggressive and often cleaning of a new barrel is exactly what you need especially if it's rough until it's run in a bit and then you find you don't have to clean as often . Two passes with a bush is not enough and if it's a nylon brush it's useless. Nylon brushes should be only used for applying solvent and then a bronze brush to scrub it . People advocating this light cleaning methods usually have select match barrels that are hand lapped and super smooth inside . However I have even seen match barrels ruined by the no cleaning set .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 15 Jul 2021, 4:34 pm

disco stu wrote:Old Bloke is such a good guy, always helping everyone out. I would take him up on that offer if I were you-not everyone will be so generous.

(Is the cheque in the mail yet Old Bloke? :) )

Happy to direct credit. :D
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 15 Jul 2021, 7:23 pm

JohnV wrote:If you don't clean properly fouling will build up slowly and to a point the barrel will be ruined and it will take a marathon of cleaning and solvent use to try and get it back to shooting well if at all possible .
Aggressive and often cleaning of a new barrel is exactly what you need especially if it's rough until it's run in a bit and then you find you don't have to clean as often . Two passes with a bush is not enough and if it's a nylon brush it's useless. Nylon brushes should be only used for applying solvent and then a bronze brush to scrub it . People advocating this light cleaning methods usually have select match barrels that are hand lapped and super smooth inside . However I have even seen match barrels ruined by the no cleaning set .

I agree with the general thrust of JohnV's post.
I would add that the OP should clean out the carbon first, testing with a solvent soaked patch, every 10 strokes after "patching out", with a clean/dry patch. That solvent soaked patch should come out clean, before you switch to a copper solvent on a bristle/nylon brush. If the copper is obstinate and you have to use a bronze brush, don't forget that it can leave coppery-looking-streaks, in the bore. A bore-scope will reveal that. You could shoot your rifle to see how it goes, only cleaning out the streaks, if groups do not pass muster.
Don't forget that everything is an experiment. People who express opinions here are telling you what works for them after many Experiments :)
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Veetwin » 26 Jul 2021, 11:02 am

Interesting,.............The Lithgow rifles are all shot at the factory, 3 shot group. They are cold hammer forged also. My rifle came with the factory test sheet, 3 shot group, 0.485 MOA. Going back to a break in of one shot then clean may be a waste of time. I would say the Tikkas may be the same. In my opinion you need to get some better suited ammo to your rifle. Watch Ozzie reviews on youtube for some ideas on 6.5C. Hornady Whitetail (for 308's) did very badly in some of the rifle reviews I have seen. The rifle you picked was my second choice, so you did good.
Veetwin
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 26 Jul 2021, 12:29 pm

Well, there’s a lot of different opinions on cleaning and barrel run in process. I don’t use a brush these days, just sweet’s and moderately firm patches. I alternate between a patch of sweet and clean patches to dislodge any gunk. Once I get no green from copper or black carbon I stop and put a oil coated patch through before it goes in the safe . I only brush now if a rifle has seen a lot of rounds.
I ran in a new marlin on the weekend, only patched every 3 rounds with sweets and clean patches. It’s had 19 rounds through it , I’ll patch every 6-10 rounds till I get to 50 then it’s run in as far as I’m concerned
Some barrels I’ve had have taken 50 or so rounds to settle down to a load they like, or so it seemed to me
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 26 Jul 2021, 1:44 pm

Nylon brushes are popular where I shoot BR. Not a heap, just enough to loosen the copper.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 26 Jul 2021, 3:38 pm

in2anity wrote:Nylon brushes are popular where I shoot BR. Not a heap, just enough to loosen the copper.

Yeah, I used to use brushes, but in hindsight I may have been “over cleaning “ at times. The sweets does the job with copper and carbon removal. I’ve tried other brands, got clean patches out of the barrel. Then as a experiment, gone over it again with sweets and pulled out more copper.
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Larry » 26 Jul 2021, 5:38 pm

The nylon brushes work the sweets into a good lather and that really helps the process.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by in2anity » 26 Jul 2021, 5:44 pm

You can also clean them in a berroca tube with a swig of turps
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Lsfan » 26 Jul 2021, 5:57 pm

Can I just ask about my cleaning method. I’m only using hoppies no. 9 solvent with patches. Not using brushes. I used my howa 223 for the first time and fired 70 rounds over 1.5 hours. I then cleaned it after that using the same method and around 12 patches, starting with oil, then a few dry ones, the oil again, dry and then a final light lube. Last patches came out with very minor grey colour. Should I be using a copper solvent or are opinions mixed on this? I’m sure some will say I rooted the barrel by not running it in correctly. I didn't notice any major inaccuracy over the 70 shots. Would be interested in knowing if I need a copper solvent or not.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Larry » 26 Jul 2021, 6:07 pm

Yes you really should use a copper removal solvent as well. There are a lot of very ineffective copper solvents out there.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by bigrich » 26 Jul 2021, 7:10 pm

in2anity wrote:You can also clean them in a berroca tube with a swig of turps

the barrels or the brushes ? ;)

or is that some crazy new cocktail drink , sweet's and metho in a berroca tube :lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 26 Jul 2021, 7:12 pm

Lsfan wrote:Can I just ask about my cleaning method. I’m only using hoppies no. 9 solvent with patches. Not using brushes. I used my howa 223 for the first time and fired 70 rounds over 1.5 hours. I then cleaned it after that using the same method and around 12 patches, starting with oil, then a few dry ones, the oil again, dry and then a final light lube. Last patches came out with very minor grey colour. Should I be using a copper solvent or are opinions mixed on this? I’m sure some will say I rooted the barrel by not running it in correctly. I didn't notice any major inaccuracy over the 70 shots. Would be interested in knowing if I need a copper solvent or not.

yes you should use a copper solvent . i've tried others , but came back to sweets . there's a LOT of different opinions on this subject though ........ :crazy:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 26 Jul 2021, 7:16 pm

bigrich wrote:

or is that some crazy new cocktail drink , sweet's and metho in a berroca tube :lol:

Don't feel too bad, bigrich. Owing to social isolation, not to mention a bit of senile decrepitude, I had to look up berroca :?
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 26 Jul 2021, 7:21 pm

Larry wrote:The nylon brushes work the sweets into a good lather and that really helps the process.

yeah , i dunno about brushes these days larry . on a really used rifle or old milsurp , i'll give a good clean with a brush when it first enters into my safe . i used to tell myself how can a brush being dragged through a barrel doing any harm compared to a projectile doing 3000 fps down the barrel :unknown: but , the carbon being moved by the brush is what can cause cleaning wear in a barrel i suspect . pushing it out after being dislodged with sweets sounds like less of a issue than using the carbon like valve grinding paste on a brush . at least this is my opinion of the moment . if anyone can show me something to the contrary i'm all ears .
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 26 Jul 2021, 7:24 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:
bigrich wrote:

Don't feel too bad, bigrich. Owing to social isolation, not to mention a bit of senile decrepitude, I had to look up berroca :?

berroca gives you back your B-B-BOUNCE ! apparently . advertising executives would be happy i remember that jingle after all these years :lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Lsfan » 26 Jul 2021, 7:52 pm

Larry wrote:Yes you really should use a copper removal solvent as well. There are a lot of very ineffective copper solvents out there.

Ok looks like the next thing on the list.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Lsfan » 26 Jul 2021, 8:02 pm

bigrich wrote:
Lsfan wrote:Can I just ask about my cleaning method. I’m only using hoppies no. 9 solvent with patches. Not using brushes. I used my howa 223 for the first time and fired 70 rounds over 1.5 hours. I then cleaned it after that using the same method and around 12 patches, starting with oil, then a few dry ones, the oil again, dry and then a final light lube. Last patches came out with very minor grey colour. Should I be using a copper solvent or are opinions mixed on this? I’m sure some will say I rooted the barrel by not running it in correctly. I didn't notice any major inaccuracy over the 70 shots. Would be interested in knowing if I need a copper solvent or not.

yes you should use a copper solvent . i've tried others , but came back to sweets . there's a LOT of different opinions on this subject though ........ :crazy:

Ok thanks. I’m seeing that sweets and boretech seem to be preferred by many. So you reckon I start with my hoppies stuff to get rid of powder, then a copper Solvent, then wipe it clean and finish with the hoppies oil?
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by ZaineB » 26 Jul 2021, 9:43 pm

bigrich wrote:
Larry wrote:The nylon brushes work the sweets into a good lather and that really helps the process.

yeah , i dunno about brushes these days larry . on a really used rifle or old milsurp , i'll give a good clean with a brush when it first enters into my safe . i used to tell myself how can a brush being dragged through a barrel doing any harm compared to a projectile doing 3000 fps down the barrel :unknown: but , the carbon being moved by the brush is what can cause cleaning wear in a barrel i suspect . pushing it out after being dislodged with sweets sounds like less of a issue than using the carbon like valve grinding paste on a brush . at least this is my opinion of the moment . if anyone can show me something to the contrary i'm all ears .

there is a required amount of force needed for any sharp/abrasive item/surface to gouge/wear the material down, lubrication in some circumstances can aid it, (mostly in the removal of buildup) and in almost all other cases it diminishes the amount of drag/force on a surface, carbon in the barrel is no different, if you are using a solvent, and enough of it, not only is the carbon being broken down, but its also working with less friction than a dry brush through a bore. the amount of "damage" is minimal at best, if cleaning solutions are used correctly, they do a more than adequate job of cleaning the bore of imperfections safely.
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by Downunder » 27 Jul 2021, 4:17 am

Over the years my thoughts and methods of both barrel inspection and cleaning has changed many times.

Like hand loading IMO theres never 1 steadfast recipe as all barrels differ, powders differ and projectiles differ.

My cleaning methods differ from barrel to barrel once I learn their traits and impact of the load traits being ran through them.

There’s 3 different contaminations that barrels are cleaned for, carbon (from the charge) and copper (from the projectile jacket) and or lead (from a slug)

There are 2 different reasons barrels are cleaned for, to mitigated against damaged caused by contaminates left in the barrel and to maintain or improve accuracy.

I’ve never used a barrel that shoots better with carbon fouling but I have had and still do use barrels that shoot better with some copper fouling.

These days I wouldn’t comment that a barrel is clean to my satisfaction without confirming it with a bore scope.

Same as I couldn’t comment on damage without an inspection with a bore scope.

Personally I think it’s unlikely you’ve done any irreparable damage but IMO the only way to truly tell that it’s clean and undamaged is a close up inspection.

Another positive of a bore scope is the inspection of chambers and importantly throats.

Regards,

Tony
Downunder
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 27 Jul 2021, 4:40 am

Lsfan wrote:
bigrich wrote:

Ok thanks. I’m seeing that sweets and boretech seem to be preferred by many. So you reckon I start with my hoppies stuff to get rid of powder, then a copper Solvent, then wipe it clean and finish with the hoppies oil?

That would be my advice. I use sweets cause the one solution does it all. But you must make sure you don’t leave any lying around as it can be corrosive. So make sure you clean it all out of the bore and gun and use gun oil to finish. Some members on this forum in the past have plugged barrels and filled sweets overnight to remove a lifetime of grunge from old milsurps if I remember correctly
Here’s another can of worms. Bin told G96 and other gun oils that are petroleum based can eat away at stocks over time. I myself use “balistol “ which is a natural oil developed by those lovely German folks before WW1 . Besides being a good gun oil , it’s also good for wood and leather and can be used as a antiseptic. How good is that :D
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 27 Jul 2021, 4:46 am

Downunder wrote:Over the years my thoughts and methods of both barrel inspection and cleaning has changed many times.

Like hand loading IMO theres never 1 steadfast recipe as all barrels differ, powders differ and projectiles differ.

My cleaning methods differ from barrel to barrel once I learn their traits and impact of the load traits being ran through them.

There’s 3 different contaminations that barrels are cleaned for, carbon (from the charge) and copper (from the projectile jacket) and or lead (from a slug)

There are 2 different reasons barrels are cleaned for, to mitigated against damaged caused by contaminates left in the barrel and to maintain or improve accuracy.

I’ve never used a barrel that shoots better with carbon fouling but I have had and still do use barrels that shoot better with some copper fouling.

These days I wouldn’t comment that a barrel is clean to my satisfaction without confirming it with a bore scope.

Same as I couldn’t comment on damage without an inspection with a bore scope.

Personally I think it’s unlikely you’ve done any irreparable damage but IMO the only way to truly tell that it’s clean and undamaged is a close up inspection.

Another positive of a bore scope is the inspection of chambers and importantly throats.

Regards,

Tony

I agree with a lot of what you’ve said, a lot of barrels have their own “personality “. Most of mine need one or two fouling shots before they “do their thing “
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Lsfan » 27 Jul 2021, 7:44 am

bigrich wrote:
Lsfan wrote:
bigrich wrote:

That would be my advice. I use sweets cause the one solution does it all. But you must make sure you don’t leave any lying around as it can be corrosive. So make sure you clean it all out of the bore and gun and use gun oil to finish. Some members on this forum in the past have plugged barrels and filled sweets overnight to remove a lifetime of grunge from old milsurps if I remember correctly
Here’s another can of worms. Bin told G96 and other gun oils that are petroleum based can eat away at stocks over time. I myself use “balistol “ which is a natural oil developed by those lovely German folks before WW1 . Besides being a good gun oil , it’s also good for wood and leather and can be used as a antiseptic. How good is that :D

Thanks, I appreciate your advice.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 27 Jul 2021, 8:51 am

You’ll get a lot of different opinions on forums, listen to what people have to say and use what seems logical and common sense to you. I’ve spoken to various gun smith’s and barrel maker’s, and they all have slightly different views as well. They do all agree on “running in” a new barrel, with “hand lapped “ you don’t have to be as anal about it. I can tell you that sako, tikka, and some “swan” rebarrels have been very smooth when you patch them from new. I have a marlin 44 that when you push a patch through you can feel where the name is stamped on the side of the barrel and a lump where the bottom of the barrel is dovetailed for the end cap bracket! Still fun to shoot but
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Lsfan » 27 Jul 2021, 9:08 am

Yes thanks bigrich. I think from reading various comments, the variables seem to be what copper solvent to use, whether to use bronze, nylon or no brush at all, whether to push the brush back and forth or just one stroke forward, how long to leave the solvent etc.
in my limited experience, I didn’t really run in my barrels. I took them to the range and fired at least 50 shots before first clean. I’ve probably fired around 500 rounds through my cz 22 and haven’t used any copper solvent in it and I can get half inch groups at 50m. I’m hopeful there is no time limit on copper fouling.
Interesting/ funny what you say about your marlin rifle. There seem to be mixed views on marlin but I assume they have budget and and premium models. I was considering an xt17 to get something between my 22 and 223 as a compromise on ammo cost yet with reasonable range. Someone on here said the xt range is crap. I expect a no frills rifle for $400 or $500 but that is my budget.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 27 Jul 2021, 9:21 am

Lsfan wrote:Yes thanks bigrich. I think from reading various comments, the variables seem to be what copper solvent to use, whether to use bronze, nylon or no brush at all, whether to push the brush back and forth or just one stroke forward, how long to leave the solvent etc.
in my limited experience, I didn’t really run in my barrels. I took them to the range and fired at least 50 shots before first clean. I’ve probably fired around 500 rounds through my cz 22 and haven’t used any copper solvent in it and I can get half inch groups at 50m. I’m hopeful there is no time limit on copper fouling.
Interesting/ funny what you say about your marlin rifle. There seem to be mixed views on marlin but I assume they have budget and and premium models. I was considering an xt17 to get something between my 22 and 223 as a compromise on ammo cost yet with reasonable range. Someone on here said the xt range is crap. I expect a no frills rifle for $400 or $500 but that is my budget.

Marlin are a funny one, like other manufacturers they have their good model years, and sometimes with changes to the model of rifle, bad years
I just bought a 1895 marlin in 45-70 and couldn’t be happier. Well made, functions well (even better after a bolt deburr) and has a slightly heavy, but crisp trigger. Barrel felt pretty smooth when patched from new.
I’ve owned a few 22’s cz’s, Brno and such. I spent the money on a weihrauch and couldn’t be happier. Smooth, well made, great trigger. Not as accurate as my cz on a good day, but more consistent
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Lsfan » 27 Jul 2021, 9:48 am

It’s funny I was googling barrel cleaning and there are numerous posts dating back 10 years ago from here including comments from current people saying cleaning rituals are BS. Some say clean it when new and then not til several hundred rounds later.

Something I realised is that the majority of 22 rounds are lead bullet so can’t present any copper fouling issues, only carbon buildup. In saying this I have been
using some mini-mag which are copper and I guess they are an exception. From what I gather the lower velocity ammo (namely 22) can use lead and it’s only higher velocities which require a copper jacket to protect the barrel from the lead.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 27 Jul 2021, 12:20 pm

Lsfan wrote:It’s funny I was googling barrel cleaning and there are numerous posts dating back 10 years ago from here including comments from current people saying cleaning rituals are BS. Some say clean it when new and then not til several hundred rounds later.

Something I realised is that the majority of 22 rounds are lead bullet so can’t present any copper fouling issues, only carbon buildup. In saying this I have been
using some mini-mag which are copper and I guess they are an exception. From what I gather the lower velocity ammo (namely 22) can use lead and it’s only higher velocities which require a copper jacket to protect the barrel from the lead.

I don’t shoot copper coated bullets in my 22lr . Clean when new out of the box, then just shoot lead . Usually you’ll notice it settle down after a couple of hundred rounds and become a tack driver with ammo it likes . I don’t clean the barrel unless accuracy drops off . I just run a loose clean patch through after shooting to remove any powder residue. That’s it . No oil in the barrel, oil everywhere else . I shoot SK ammo which has a lube on it which inhibits corrosion, so oiling the barrel is not required. That’s my view on the 22lr . Hope this helps. Cheers
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 27 Jul 2021, 2:10 pm

Lsfan wrote: I’m hopeful there is no time limit on copper fouling..

re Copper Fouling
It's what is under the copper that matters AFAIK. If there is carbon under it, then that will absorb (is that the right expression?) moisture from the air, creating a rust hazard.
If you live in an arid climate, then probably don't worry.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Centerfire rifles