.Your favorite bolt action deer rifle.

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: .Your favorite bolt action deer rifle.

Post by ZaineB » 16 Jul 2021, 8:53 pm

bigpete wrote:That sounds incredibly dangerous to me tbh

how so?
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by deye243 » 16 Jul 2021, 9:19 pm

bigrich wrote:all this talk about quiet chambering , on a model 70 or other cock on close rifle , i will chamber a round then as i'm closing the bolt , decock it by keeping my finger on the trigger as the bolt closes. all with the rifle pointed in a safe direction of coarse . when i see game , just lift and close the bolt . it's now cocked and ready to fire .almost a silent move on a push feed model 70. works for me . quieter than cocking a hammer on a lever gun :thumbsup:

You mean cock on opening cock on closing is 303 British and what you just described is the reason why I refuse to hunt with other people you leave the firing pin hard down on a primer with a 20 odd # spring the stupidest thing I've ever heard
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by ZaineB » 16 Jul 2021, 9:23 pm

deye243 wrote:
bigrich wrote:all this talk about quiet chambering , on a model 70 or other cock on close rifle , i will chamber a round then as i'm closing the bolt , decock it by keeping my finger on the trigger as the bolt closes. all with the rifle pointed in a safe direction of coarse . when i see game , just lift and close the bolt . it's now cocked and ready to fire .almost a silent move on a push feed model 70. works for me . quieter than cocking a hammer on a lever gun :thumbsup:

You mean cock on opening cock on closing is 303 British and what you just described is the reason why I refuse to hunt with other people you leave the firing pin hard down on a primer with a 20 odd # spring on a primer the stupidest thing I've ever heard

literally everyone I know that use safety catches instead of this above method from bigrich have had misfires that I have witnessed. No one I know that uses the method mentioned by Bigrich have ever had a misfire or even a mark on a primer let alone whatever you're on about... I will gladly be around someone with a gun that is not cocked vs someone who is trusting a safety catch and their memory on what position that safety is on, a gun that isn't cocked doesn't need the safety, a gun that is cocked and has the safety on is still cocked and as dangerous as if it didn't have a safety at all.
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by bigpete » 16 Jul 2021, 9:40 pm

deye243 wrote:

You mean cock on opening cock on closing is 303 British and what you just described is the reason why I refuse to hunt with other people you leave the firing pin hard down on a primer with a 20 odd # spring the stupidest thing I've ever heard

Pretty much what he said.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by deye243 » 16 Jul 2021, 9:45 pm

Take your bolt out of the rifle and drop the bolt handle you will see the firing pin protruding way out past the bolt face is what I'm talking about
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by ZaineB » 16 Jul 2021, 9:56 pm

deye243 wrote:Take your bolt out of the rifle and drop the bolt handle you will see the firing pin protruding way out past the bolt face is what I'm talking about

for that to be an issue the firing pin would need to be touching the primer to begin with, if there is no contact there is no way to set it off, especially in the situation of waiting silently for a deer or pig etc.

Pretty confident you would snap the bolt handle off my bolt before you made one of my rifles bump fire in that situation.
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by deye243 » 16 Jul 2021, 10:01 pm

When you chamber a round and pull the trigger drop the bolt handle to the firing position the firing pin is resting on your primer with the full weight of firing pin spring tell me what a safe about that
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by ZaineB » 16 Jul 2021, 10:03 pm

ive heard all this before, I have put blue marker on my primers and not a mark, conclusion, it doesnt touch...

well mate nothing safe about safety's nearly been shot by people who rely on those, cant say the same about those who decock
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by deye243 » 16 Jul 2021, 10:07 pm

Oh yeah believe what you want to believe it doesn't touch well heres the bolt face of a howa with the bolt handle de cocked .

Screenshot_20210716-220619_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210716-220619_Gallery.jpg (488.36 KiB) Viewed 4076 times
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by ZaineB » 16 Jul 2021, 10:08 pm

mate if its not touching enough to take off blue whiteboard marker then it aint touching bud. by your logic it should be setting off rounds when they are removed unfired from the chamber.
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 16 Jul 2021, 11:05 pm

This is waaay off topic.

Anyway. Wouldn't just leaving the bolt open be a good option? Years ago I believe it was a common thing to do.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gun-nut » 16 Jul 2021, 11:09 pm

ZaineB wrote:ive heard all this before, I have put blue marker on my primers and not a mark, conclusion, it doesnt touch...

well mate nothing safe about safety's nearly been shot by people who rely on those, cant say the same about those who decock

If you've nearly been shot under those circumstances, I think it says more about the kind of people you're hunting with than with any inherit fault in mechanical safeties. If it takes a a significant amount of mental gymnastics for someone to understand the ins and outs of a rifle safety then they probably shouldn't be hunting in the first place.
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by ZaineB » 16 Jul 2021, 11:48 pm

Gun-nut wrote:
ZaineB wrote:ive heard all this before, I have put blue marker on my primers and not a mark, conclusion, it doesnt touch...

If you've nearly been shot under those circumstances, I think it says more about the kind of people you're hunting with than with any inherit fault in mechanical safeties. If it takes a a significant amount of mental gymnastics for someone to understand the ins and outs of a rifle safety then they probably shouldn't be hunting in the first place.

shooting in target rich environments with people who get distracted and forget if their safety is on or off. trusting a safety is not safe practice, if someone told you otherwise they have been grossly misleading in doing so. No one is invulnerable from distraction and fault, hence don't trust a guns safety, bolt open = cant fire if trigger pulled/hit, gun not cocked means gun cant fire if trigger pulled either.
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by deye243 » 17 Jul 2021, 12:20 am

ZaineB wrote:mate if its not touching enough to take off blue whiteboard marker then it aint touching bud. by your logic it should be setting off rounds when they are removed unfired from the chamber.

This will be my last input on this subject so by your logic if that is not touching your primer you have over 0.040" to 0.080" of excessive headspace I don't care what your blue marker says
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by ZaineB » 17 Jul 2021, 12:36 am

deye243 wrote:
ZaineB wrote:mate if its not touching enough to take off blue whiteboard marker then it aint touching bud. by your logic it should be setting off rounds when they are removed unfired from the chamber.

This will be my last input on this subject so by your logic if that is not touching your primer you have over 0.040" to 0.080" of excessive headspace I don't care what your blue marker says

my last input, cool story bro
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by bigpete » 17 Jul 2021, 5:44 am

Oldbloke wrote:This is waaay off topic.

Anyway. Wouldn't just leaving the bolt open be a good option? Years ago I believe it was a common thing to do.

It still is in my neck of the woods.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 17 Jul 2021, 6:47 am

well , wow . looks like i stirred up some controversy . i think i should've been more specific about the circumstances . when stalking up on cover i use this method , treating the rifle as "live" with due respect to safety . the rifle i employ this method in doesn't have a exposed back to the firing pin , so it can't be knocked into hitting the primer to ignite it . i don't travel with the rifle in this condition , most often in hunting areas the bolt is closed on a empty chamber with live rounds in the magazine

i say again i only use this method when stalking up on game as it's quieter and less fuss than fumbling with the safety . again , i don't just walk around like this , this method is only employed during a stalk and the rifle is treated as "live" . after the stalk is over the rifle is unloaded . i don't trust safety's as a rule and don't load my rifles relying on the safety alone . it's good to see people who take safety seriously , and i personally wouldn't do anything to endanger myself or others

sorry if i've upset anyone :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Harrynsw » 17 Jul 2021, 7:17 am

bigpete wrote:That sounds incredibly dangerous to me tbh

It's not once you get your head around it. You can see if it's cocked by the indicator on the bolt.
Although its good practice, I'm not a fan of walking around in the bush with the bolt out, for a couple of reasons. Lost bolts is the first (has happened to a mate) getting crap in the chamber a close second.
In saying that, I would only do it in a deer hunting scenario where you're only taking 1 shot most of the time. In a situation where you're shooting alot and reloading it can be dangerous because of complacency due to excitement and adrenalin.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by dnardy » 17 Jul 2021, 8:53 am

Just to get this topic back on track:
With a bolt action i walk with the bolt open- I'm not interested in your opinion on this.
I can't do this with my 7600 pump action as it's too noisy to chamber a round in a deer hunting situation (I bought it when I was chasing pigs off a quad). I don't like to rely on the safety.

I AM interested in your favourite deer hunting rifle as I want to add a dedicated stalker setup to my collection.
30.06 Remington 7600 pump
25.06 Tikka T3
12G / .223 Savage combo
12G Browning GTS
Winchester Mod 06 .22 pump
Air rifle
dnardy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Jul 2021, 9:12 am

dnardy wrote:
I AM interested in your favourite deer hunting rifle as I want to add a dedicated stalker setup to my collection.

Just about any half decent light weight ba will do the job.

I like my marlin xl. Got a great safety. :thumbsup:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Harrynsw » 17 Jul 2021, 11:03 am

dnardy wrote:Just to get this topic back on track:
With a bolt action i walk with the bolt open- I'm not interested in your opinion on this.
I can't do this with my 7600 pump action as it's too noisy to chamber a round in a deer hunting situation (I bought it when I was chasing pigs off a quad). I don't like to rely on the safety.

Settle down champ.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Larry » 17 Jul 2021, 11:25 am

ZaineB the firing pin must touch the primer in the uncocked position otherwise it would never fire. I dont think you would find that a rifle in this condition could accidentally be discharged. I would rather have the bolt closed on an empty action any day of the week.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by ZaineB » 17 Jul 2021, 1:12 pm

bigrich wrote:well , wow . looks like i stirred up some controversy . i think i should've been more specific about the circumstances . when stalking up on cover i use this method , treating the rifle as "live" with due respect to safety . the rifle i employ this method in doesn't have a exposed back to the firing pin , so it can't be knocked into hitting the primer to ignite it . i don't travel with the rifle in this condition , most often in hunting areas the bolt is closed on a empty chamber with live rounds in the magazine

i say again i only use this method when stalking up on game as it's quieter and less fuss than fumbling with the safety . again , i don't just walk around like this , this method is only employed during a stalk and the rifle is treated as "live" . after the stalk is over the rifle is unloaded . i don't trust safety's as a rule and don't load my rifles relying on the safety alone . it's good to see people who take safety seriously , and i personally wouldn't do anything to endanger myself or others

sorry if i've upset anyone :thumbsup:

I was following you fine rich, and same circumstances and same method as you mentioned,

cheers
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by ZaineB » 17 Jul 2021, 1:15 pm

Larry wrote:ZaineB the firing pin must touch the primer in the uncocked position otherwise it would never fire. I dont think you would find that a rifle in this condition could accidentally be discharged. I would rather have the bolt closed on an empty action any day of the week.

If you took me correctly you would see I am saying I would sooner trust someone sitting there with a gun unchambered and or uncocked, never do I have any faith at all in peoples ability to use safety catches, especially on some brands of rifle where they are known to fail.

cheers.
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by animalpest » 17 Jul 2021, 3:39 pm

Favourite is a Tikka T3.

But there are a few people that won't be with me when I am hunting given some of the posts here. :shock:
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bigrich » 17 Jul 2021, 6:20 pm

animalpest wrote:Favourite is a Tikka T3.

But there are a few people that won't be with me when I am hunting given some of the posts here. :shock:

what caliber AP ?
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by animalpest » 17 Jul 2021, 6:31 pm

.308 for most stuff. Or a .243 for fallow
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bigrich » 17 Jul 2021, 6:58 pm

animalpest wrote:.308 for most stuff. Or a .243 for fallow

i was playing around with loads for my 243 today , it's a nice accurate caliber . my prefered caliber is a 270 . i load 150 sst's with re22 as a "do all" load . have you ever tried a 270 ? just looking for feedback on other peoples experiences .
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 17 Jul 2021, 7:03 pm

bigrich wrote:

i was playing around with loads for my 243 today , it's a nice accurate caliber . my prefered caliber is a 270 . i load 150 sst's with re22 as a "do all" load . have you ever tried a 270 ? just looking for feedback on other peoples experiences .

Good Calibre and projectile for just about anything but if you were going to go after Sambar I would substitute the SST with a Woodleigh projectile it will put down anything you come across in the Victorian high country it is a very underrated caliber.
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by ZaineB » 17 Jul 2021, 8:59 pm

bigrich wrote:

500 empty brass I need to reload here says its a good shooter, 1600 rounds in on this current rem 700 in 270 and still smacks pests in the eye from 200m like its no ones business.

only things that see more action is the shotgun and 22lr. (maybe the 223 depending on the season etc)
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

PreviousNext

Return to Centerfire rifles