Question for the Tikka T3x owners

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Question for the Tikka T3x owners

Post by Kurnal » 17 Jul 2021, 9:34 am

Going to pick up a T3x in .308 for 2-3 day trekking hunting trips in reasonably rugged terrain.

I am not very experienced and there are so many options. I am having trouble deciding on the best model. Basically looking at:

T3x Hunter
T3x Lite Stainless

Weights are very similar. Am I going to notice much difference between them in accuracy ?

Other than timber stock v laminate stock, is there any discernible difference ?
CZ 455 .22LR Vixen 4-16 x 44
Ligthgow LA102 .223 Optika5 3-15 x 44
Tikka T3x Lite Stainless .308 Leupold Vx3i 4.5-14 x 40
Kurnal
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Question for the Tikka T3x owners

Post by SCJ429 » 17 Jul 2021, 10:22 am

Is the Hunter Chromoly and the Lite Stainless Steel? What does the Tikka website tell you?

The action, trigger and bolt are the same if that is what you are asking.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 17 Jul 2021, 10:24 am

They will both have the same accuracy potential, and are known for the good results they can produce.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by MontyShooter » 17 Jul 2021, 11:34 am

Same rifle in a different stock I think.
Personally I’d go for a tupperware stock if you're going to drag it through the mountains.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by ZaineB » 17 Jul 2021, 1:52 pm

I'd have no fear using either, even the most common complaint for tikka rifles (magazine length/short standard 'Saami') as if you are deer or chamois or whatever else whether here or across the pond, you could always single load those big sexy monolithic high bc rounds.

Look end of the day there are very few rifles you can go wrong with these days for what you're after, however European brands and a couple of USA brands are particularly good at making rifles especially for mountain terrain hunting. this usually means lightweight fluted barrels. and stout lightweight actions. you will get this from Tikka/Sako, Kimber, Sauer, Sabatti, etc etc etc etc could list dozens, as far as rifles to avoid, well I think Mossberg make serviceable shotguns, but the rest of their catalogue are just complicated sticks.

stand outs for me would be hammer forged like sabatti and sako/tikka however if I wanted a light action with good to superior accuracy.
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by solarpak » 18 Jul 2021, 7:59 pm

Kurnal,
+1 on what Monty said. In the mountains a wooden or laminate stock could give you issues especially if the rifle gets wet. Synthetic stocks are built for the round and tumble and Tikka do make some good stocks
Metalwork - blued or stainless - all the same in relative terms .

I would opt for a blued barrelled action with the synthetic stock.

C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Deka » 20 Jul 2021, 6:29 pm

Have plenty of Tikkas.
No discernible difference in accuracy etc as action& trigger same and barrels are the lighter profiles.
Grab the plastic stock as when you come to replace it with something better it’s easier to throw Tupperware than a more $$ laminate stock.
Deka
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Col » 22 Jul 2021, 1:46 pm

I have a t3x in 308 Lite Stainless and love it. I went for the stainless due to ease of cleaning and fact it would be treated as a work tool, an expensive but enjoyable one. Shoots well with 130gn buffalo river ammo. The barrel heats up quickly with rapid shooting, but usually never more than 4-5 shots, but also cools down quickly.
So overall a great gun, and short enough for use from the cab of a ute etc.
Col
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by albat » 26 Jul 2021, 6:55 pm

I have two t3x in stainless synthetic the 308w goes into the vic high country backpacking it gets a battering there and has been submerged in the moroka river on two occasions after slipping on rocks and dried out near the fire with issues, fyi i run a leupold vxr 3-7 ×33 mKes for a very light carry in the hills
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Paul » 27 Jul 2021, 8:33 pm

Hi Kurnal, I have a T3 Lite (model before T3x) in .308 with synthetic stock and it is just the ticket for bush hunting, or anywhere else you want to go really.

The synth stock makes it lighter and in my thinking, better for something your likely to take out in the wet of winter etc. I have used the Buff River 135gr stuff and it is excellent. I now reload using that same Sierra 135gr HP. Good results.

I have a T3x Forest in 22-250 and the wood is nice. Goes out in diff weather than the 308 though :-)

Cheers, Paul.
Last edited by Paul on 28 Jul 2021, 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Kurnal » 28 Jul 2021, 3:48 pm

Thanks all. Big help. Ordered at T3x lite stainless so happy with the positive feedback.
CZ 455 .22LR Vixen 4-16 x 44
Ligthgow LA102 .223 Optika5 3-15 x 44
Tikka T3x Lite Stainless .308 Leupold Vx3i 4.5-14 x 40
Kurnal
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles