Which Muzzle Brake for 6.5 Creed?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Which Muzzle Brake for 6.5 Creed?

Post by sbd850 » 17 Jul 2021, 3:53 pm

During my first shoot, I noticed that my scope was to the right of the target after firing each shot. I'm not sure if this was more to do with the recoil or me. Either way, I've heard that Muzzle Brakes reduce recoil/barrel jump and make it easier to spot shots and stay on target.

I found this one, is it any good? I'd like to keep the price under $200 if possible, I'm not sure if brakes are the type of thing that need a lot spent on them.
https://muzzlebrakeaustralia.com.au/sho ... libre-vs10

If not, what would you guys recommend? And how much difference to Brakes really make to felt recoil? Is it super noticeable etc.?

Cheers
sbd850
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Which Muzzle Brake for 6.5 Creed?

Post by Bello » 17 Jul 2021, 4:42 pm

Hi Mate

I have used the Terminator muzzle breaks and like them. They have ports in the sides just like the one you have a link to in your post.
I also have the radial muzzle breaks (From Grizzly muzzle breaks). They have holes on the entire break rather than the side ports.

What I have found with the radial break is, that if you are taking a shot in the prone position, (Lying on your stomach), in the field, after you take a shot, as the gasses are directed all around the break, gasses also are directed on to the ground, pushing dirt and dust up. This causes you to lose your sight picture for a period of time.
I find the radial breaks to be slimmer and can look more like and extension of the barrel, making it a little more esthetically pleasing. They work well. They reduce felt recoil.

The terminator break: the ports are 90 degrees to the ground to minimise debris disturbance. The ports are angled back away from the shooter to minimise shooter discomfort.
This break also reduces felt recoil. Terminator have some great videos on youtube showing the break in action. Take a look, quite informative.

Muzzle breaks have their down sides.
Any one beside you must wear earmuffs as some of the gasses AND SOUND are transferred to the sides.
This makes the rifle sound much louder.
When using the rifle in a range that has side walls to your left and right, it is much louder and you will feel the gasses.
Some ranges will NOT let you use a braked rifle due to the noise.

In my experience, it tames rifle, makes them more pleasant to shoot. I can sit behind my larger calibre rifles at the range longer shooting with the breaks.
Do your research. I always advocate to buy the best you can afford and later enjoy your sport. :thumbsup:
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 18 Jul 2021, 9:44 am

I recommend that you don't use one. Noisy, changes the harmonics of your barrel and all in an attempt to keep your sight picture.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 18 Jul 2021, 10:43 am

This ^^^
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by MontyShooter » 18 Jul 2021, 11:29 am

If it's a range gun then it's already noisey so you'll have ear pro.
Whilst the creed doesn't really recoil much, a brake is handy to watch your hits.
You can always take it off if you find yourself shooting with others who aren't up to the extra noise.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by sbd850 » 18 Jul 2021, 1:06 pm

At my local rage, they have the whole left side of the range for people with brakes and the whole right side for people without. So there's no risk of annoying people as you get what you sign up for.
sbd850
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 18 Jul 2021, 1:18 pm

I think a brake might be worth the noise and trouble on a brutal calibre ....not worth it for small/ medium manageable rifles
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Tiger650 » 18 Jul 2021, 1:26 pm

Dust puff would be unacceptable on a military rifle, like ejecting shiny brass.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Veetwin » 18 Jul 2021, 1:44 pm

sbd850 wrote:During my first shoot, I noticed that my scope was to the right of the target after firing each shot. I'm not sure if this was more to do with the recoil or me. Either way, I've heard that Muzzle Brakes reduce recoil/barrel jump and make it easier to spot shots and stay on target.

I found this one, is it any good? I'd like to keep the price under $200 if possible, I'm not sure if brakes are the type of thing that need a lot spent on them.

If not, what would you guys recommend? And how much difference to Brakes really make to felt recoil? Is it super noticeable etc.?

Cheers

Sight in your scope if that is the case
Veetwin
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Bugman » 18 Jul 2021, 1:55 pm

Just about all the guys I know who had muzzle brakes on their rifles, ended up taking them off for various reasons. I think most were shooting .223, 308 and a couple had the 6.5. This bit of info may not be of much help to you, but it is a bit of feedback from people I know who shoot F-Class etc.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by sbd850 » 18 Jul 2021, 2:01 pm

Veetwin wrote:
sbd850 wrote:During my first shoot, I noticed that my scope was to the right of the target after firing each shot. I'm not sure if this was more to do with the recoil or me. Either way, I've heard that Muzzle Brakes reduce recoil/barrel jump and make it easier to spot shots and stay on target.

Cheers

Sight in your scope if that is the case

It is sighted in, I'm referring to the whole rifle jumping to the right of the target, so that I have to realign the next shot hefore firing.
sbd850
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by ZaineB » 18 Jul 2021, 2:45 pm

I would go for the heaviest stock you can use rather than trying to mitigate things but attaching more stuff to the gun, especially on the barrel, dont wanna sound mean but 6.5 creed just doesn't kick. especially compared with more traditional long range rounds. I think heavier stock and more practice would keep you on target, I used to not be able to keep my sight picture under control with my 270 but nowadays it barely budges when I shoot either off a bipod on the roof or when supported all down to my experience with the gun, my 300 had a terminator brake on it, I took it off, far more comfy shooting it without a brake than with one.
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by sbd850 » 18 Jul 2021, 3:24 pm

ZaineB wrote:I would go for the heaviest stock you can use rather than trying to mitigate things but attaching more stuff to the gun, especially on the barrel, dont wanna sound mean but 6.5 creed just doesn't kick. especially compared with more traditional long range rounds. I think heavier stock and more practice would keep you on target, I used to not be able to keep my sight picture under control with my 270 but nowadays it barely budges when I shoot either off a bipod on the roof or when supported all down to my experience with the gun, my 300 had a terminator brake on it, I took it off, far more comfy shooting it without a brake than with one.

Damn I found the standard stock to have quite a nice feel to it. I also love the way it looks with the roughtech green.

I guess I could go for an MDT XRS or similar, they're reasonably priced.
sbd850
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by ZaineB » 18 Jul 2021, 3:26 pm

sbd850 wrote:
ZaineB wrote:I would go for the heaviest stock you can use rather than trying to mitigate things but attaching more stuff to the gun, especially on the barrel, dont wanna sound mean but 6.5 creed just doesn't kick. especially compared with more traditional long range rounds. I think heavier stock and more practice would keep you on target, I used to not be able to keep my sight picture under control with my 270 but nowadays it barely budges when I shoot either off a bipod on the roof or when supported all down to my experience with the gun, my 300 had a terminator brake on it, I took it off, far more comfy shooting it without a brake than with one.

Damn I found the standard stock to have quite a nice feel to it. I also love the way it looks with the roughtech green.

I guess I could go for an MDT XRS or similar, they're reasonably priced.

or add weight tot he one you re using now?

end of the day all depends how serious you are using the rifle at the range vs elsewhere, if its just for the range and nothing else beef that thing up as much as the rules will let you, weight is your friend when chasing accuracy and reducing felt recoil.
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by deye243 » 19 Jul 2021, 12:19 am

Cheers

What you are describing is nothing to do with recoil or a muzzle brake it is a form problem as in shooting form lack of consistency .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by animalpest » 19 Jul 2021, 9:29 am

If the rifle is pointing to the right after shooting then this is a problem with technique. Reducing recoil won't fix the problem although it will make the movement less.

You need to set yourself and the rifle so that it recoils straight back. It should slide back under recoil and come back to battery.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by sbd850 » 19 Jul 2021, 10:39 am

animalpest wrote:If the rifle is pointing to the right after shooting then this is a problem with technique. Reducing recoil won't fix the problem although it will make the movement less.

You need to set yourself and the rifle so that it recoils straight back. It should slide back under recoil and come back to battery.

Alrighty - from what I understand I should apply a little pressure towards myself with the grip and a little pressure into the buttpad with my shoulder pocket. Is this correct? I was still shooting decent groups, I just wasn't able to keep the rifle on target after the shot.
sbd850
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Downunder » 19 Jul 2021, 10:46 am

Not knowing how your set up on target but to save time running through all the considerations this fella pretty well nails the physics.

https://youtu.be/BFAg1WGhPC8
Downunder
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by sbd850 » 19 Jul 2021, 12:52 pm

Downunder wrote:Not knowing how your set up on target but to save time running through all the considerations this fella pretty well nails the physics.

https://youtu.be/BFAg1WGhPC8

Thanks, I've seen some of Mark's videos but never new this existed.

My local range is Bench rest, but I'm sure a lot of the same rules will apply.

I have a bipod and rear bag, I aim to keep the rifle level so I'm glad I'm doing something right.
sbd850
Private
Private

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles