Rem 700/clone actions

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Rem 700/clone actions

Post by yeah buddy » 17 Jul 2021, 4:31 pm

Always used rifles on farm for pest control, always used Tikka, but very new to other types of rifles, longer range shooting, reloading, etc.

My question comes from watching a Youtube video. It’s a guy called Ryan Furman doing a review on the Christensen Arms Ridgeline 30 Nosler. In the video, he comes to the drawbacks of the gun, stating it has all the usual negatives of the Rem 700/clones actions.

The review mentions problems with bolt and timing typical to these type of actions. Primary extraction looks to be an issue leading to problems reloading brass. I’ve read about the timing issues but nothing about the primary extraction issue.

Yet these guns and actions continue to sell and be used in custom rifle builds. Is that because despite these problems, the rifles are still very capable and useable? Can good accuracy be achieved? Will the primary extraction issue make reloading too difficult? Is there something I'm missing? Heaps of rifles out there with Rem 700 type actions.
yeah buddy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Rem 700/clone actions

Post by JohnV » 19 Jul 2021, 7:52 pm

It is not exactly the same as a Rem 700 because the Christensen Ridgeline action has a M16 claw type extractor and a Rem 700 has a circular clip inside the bolt face . So it has a better extractor .
https://christensenarms.com/ridgeline/ So those comments are inaccurate .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by boingk » 19 Jul 2021, 8:42 pm

Modern rifles are a far cry from what was being developed in the 50's, 60's and 70's. The poorly performing designs have (mostly) been weeded out, and the major manufactuers won't sell something that damages their reputation or would be seen to be substandard given the retail price.

Hell, even my relatively inexpensive Ruger American shoots sub-MOA. Anything north of that price and performance braket will see truely impressive results in a modern rifle system.

The thing that lets the show down is stark traditionalists who will only take the Rem Model 700 or Win Mod 70 and that's that.... everything else is a plastic, crappy, substandard copy.

Whatever you've got, use it and enjoy it and find confidence in that. Know its limitations but also its strengths. Its not rocket science - can you hit what you want to hit? If so, then all is well.

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by ZaineB » 19 Jul 2021, 8:53 pm

boingk wrote:Modern rifles are a far cry from what was being developed in the 50's, 60's and 70's. The poorly performing designs have (mostly) been weeded out, and the major manufactuers won't sell something that damages their reputation or would be seen to be substandard given the retail price.

Hell, even my relatively inexpensive Ruger American shoots sub-MOA. Anything north of that price and performance braket will see truely impressive results in a modern rifle system.

The thing that lets the show down is stark traditionalists who will only take the Rem Model 700 or Win Mod 70 and that's that.... everything else is a plastic, crappy, substandard copy.

Whatever you've got, use it and enjoy it and find confidence in that. Know its limitations but also its strengths. Its not rocket science - can you hit what you want to hit? If so, then all is well.

- boingk

exactly, whether their tooling is made in house or 3rd party you cant tell me that a modern rifle manufacturer, Ruger is a good example, goes and makes/buys tools to make their premium firearms and then says, hmmmm I know lets get s**t tools to make the cheaper ones...

just doesn't happen, using s**t outdated tooling would cost them more than the saving and would mean they would sell these very cheap firearms at a loss, they save money with automation (cnc machines with ridiculously good tolerances), and injection molded stocks etc. materials may differ between their premium M77 rifles to their Ranch and American and Scout variants, but a quick comparison of my Ruger 22 to my mates ruger precision 22 shows little to no difference in the action at all.

fact is things are just better all round, guns are easier to manufacture than ever, and all of the major brands seem to have caught up, except mossberg, i hate mossberg lol.
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by boingk » 19 Jul 2021, 10:17 pm

ZaineB wrote:fact is things are just better all round, guns are easier to manufacture than ever, and all of the major brands seem to have caught up, except mossberg, i hate mossberg lol.

:lol:

Classic Mossberg
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by SCJ429 » 20 Jul 2021, 7:08 pm

The Sako extractor is a popular conversion if you are worried about your standard Remington extractor.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Bill » 20 Jul 2021, 7:12 pm

Bergara B14 is the rifle Remington wished they built.
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by ZaineB » 20 Jul 2021, 8:35 pm

Bill wrote:Bergara B14 is the rifle Remington wished they built.

can agree a mate has one in 6.5 manbun and its a very well put together firearm.
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Return to Centerfire rifles