CVA Scout V2 single shot

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

CVA Scout V2 single shot

Post by ZaineB » 20 Jul 2021, 2:46 am

Hey all, has anyone got any experience with these CVA Scout single shot rifles? Interested to know if anyone has used one, know about accuracy, reliability value for money etc.

cheers.
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Re: CVA Scout V2 single shot

Post by bigrich » 20 Jul 2021, 4:51 am

I had a stainless cva scout in 45-70 years ago. It had a great trigger and would group 1 1/2” at 100 with federal 300 gn factory ammo . They break down just like a shot gun. So probably really good as a pack rifle.
I only got rid of mine cause I want more than one shot. You can also get them in 35 whelen.
For the money I think their really good
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Bugman » 20 Jul 2021, 9:49 am

Yep. Had a CVA Hunter in 44mag. Bought it on a whim. Sold it after a few hunts. The whim had deteriorated rapidly.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by InisBineest » 20 Jul 2021, 10:10 am

I've got a Bergara BA13 (identical to the CVA model) waiting in the shop for a permit. I'll let you know how it goes! They look good in all the reviews I've seen
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 20 Jul 2021, 12:09 pm

If they brought them out with a laminate version of the factory stock I’d probably still have mine. The factory recoil pad works well, but the laminate would help to absorb a bit of recoil as well. And it looks nicer....
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by wanneroo » 20 Jul 2021, 12:15 pm

I researched buying one and didn't hear much bad about them when I did. I was looking at one in 300 Blackout. However a CZ bolt rifle is about $150-$200 more, so it may be worth it getting that instead. I'm still weighing up what to do.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by InisBineest » 20 Jul 2021, 3:15 pm

bigrich wrote:If they brought them out with a laminate version of the factory stock I’d probably still have mine. The factory recoil pad works well, but the laminate would help to absorb a bit of recoil as well. And it looks nicer....

I'm planning on restocking mine with a mannlicher type stock... But I'll wait to get the rifle first to see if it's feasible
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by ZaineB » 20 Jul 2021, 6:42 pm

rogee now just need to find one in stock somewhere
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by bigrich » 20 Jul 2021, 7:27 pm

ZaineB wrote:rogee now just need to find one in stock somewhere

what cal ? i think safari firearms in sydney had some stock :unknown:

just checked , available at supplier , 45-70 , 35 whelen , 450 bushmaster, in v2 stainless . 44mag with camo stock stainless . their out of some stock .
hope this helps :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by ZaineB » 20 Jul 2021, 8:34 pm

the "supplier" is dry with all stock of them on backorder, so would have to be on the shelf at the store, and yeah 45-70 there Rich.
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by bigrich » 21 Jul 2021, 4:37 am

ZaineB wrote:the "supplier" is dry with all stock of them on backorder, so would have to be on the shelf at the store, and yeah 45-70 there Rich.

That’s confusing. When you scroll over the firearms icon for the caliber/ firearm on the webpage, it says “in stock with suppliers “ , or not. :wtf:

Checked again, google must’ve put me onto a old search or something. You’re right. They don’t have much in stock :roll:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 21 Jul 2021, 2:21 pm

Cheap rifle. I was goin to grab one in 4570 but no stock nearby
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by ZaineB » 21 Jul 2021, 3:31 pm

Blr243 wrote:Cheap rifle. I was goin to grab one in 4570 but no stock nearby

I'd buy one today no trouble if only I could find one in stock somewhere, literally anywhere in the country doesn't matter where.
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by InisBineest » 21 Jul 2021, 3:57 pm

Contact Magnum Sports. Are are situated next door to the supplier of Bergara BA13's. They could get you one if any are here
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by ZaineB » 21 Jul 2021, 4:23 pm

cheers will suss them out
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by MontyShooter » 21 Jul 2021, 4:33 pm

Now I want one.
Curse you internet!
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by ZaineB » 21 Jul 2021, 6:40 pm

MontyShooter wrote:Now I want one.
Curse you internet!

I know right, fml addicted to wanting this rifle now!
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by Tubs » 20 Oct 2021, 11:37 pm

InisBineest wrote:I've got a Bergara BA13 (identical to the CVA model) waiting in the shop for a permit. I'll let you know how it goes! They look good in all the reviews I've seen

How'd u go mate, have u shot it yet? I havent had a chance to get out to the range yet
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by InisBineest » 21 Oct 2021, 5:42 am

Tubs wrote:
InisBineest wrote:I've got a Bergara BA13 (identical to the CVA model) waiting in the shop for a permit. I'll let you know how it goes! They look good in all the reviews I've seen

How'd u go mate, have u shot it yet? I havent had a chance to get out to the range yet

Sorry forgot to get back to this! Finally got to take it out and mate, this thing is smooth! Nothing feels forced with it, it breaks cleanly, locks up with very little force, just a gentle snap. And the factory trigger is the best I've ever used in a hunting rifle. Compared to my other rifles I would guess it is 1.5-2lbs, no creep and little after travel.
As for accuracy, I can't comment as I'm working with 308 cast loads that I haven't quite perfected yet.
The only thing I would change is the stick. Its a good synthetic stock, don't get me wrong, but I would like to get a wooden stock made for it one day. That's just preference though.
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Tubs » 21 Oct 2021, 7:03 am

InisBineest wrote:
Tubs wrote:

Sorry forgot to get back to this! Finally got to take it out and mate, this thing is smooth! Nothing feels forced with it, it breaks cleanly, locks up with very little force, just a gentle snap. And the factory trigger is the best I've ever used in a hunting rifle. Compared to my other rifles I would guess it is 1.5-2lbs, no creep and little after travel.
As for accuracy, I can't comment as I'm working with 308 cast loads that I haven't quite perfected yet.
The only thing I would change is the stick. Its a good synthetic stock, don't get me wrong, but I would like to get a wooden stock made for it one day. That's just preference though.

Awesome, glad to hear it! One thing I noticed is how heavy it is for such a compact rifle.... Almost the same weight as my Tikka Varmint!
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by InisBineest » 21 Oct 2021, 9:39 am

Actually I like the weight in it. Just enough to take any recoil to comfortable levels
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 21 Oct 2021, 3:41 pm

Well, FWIW, I just checked out thebarn.net.au and it reads like they are in stock! Hope this is not a wild goose chase.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by ZaineB » 21 Oct 2021, 4:45 pm

was last time I saw them in stock there......
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by Tubs » 21 Oct 2021, 9:18 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:Well, FWIW, I just checked out thebarn.net.au and it reads like they are in stock! Hope this is not a wild goose chase.

U having issues finding new toys? Not much on abusedguns
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Wm.Traynor » 21 Oct 2021, 9:50 pm

Tubs wrote:
Wm.Traynor wrote:Well, FWIW, I just checked out thebarn.net.au and it reads like they are in stock! Hope this is not a wild goose chase.

U having issues finding new toys? Not much on abusedguns

Sorry to mislead you Tubs. Not looking for myself. Thought I would check the web to help the OP but it seems that he has been there.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Bugman » 22 Oct 2021, 3:58 pm

ZaineB wrote:Hey all, has anyone got any experience with these CVA Scout single shot rifles? Interested to know if anyone has used one, know about accuracy, reliability value for money etc.

cheers.

Why all the questions. We all thought you had the answers to everything.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 22 Oct 2021, 5:51 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: FMD :roll:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by mchughcb » 23 Oct 2021, 4:22 pm

Having shot many deer with my single shot, I was quite interested in this thread. I had a look at the CVA Scout in 45/70 and I like it. I've used ruger single shots before but I really prefer the take down type single shots, they are easy to clean like a shotgun and easy to pack in the car. From all accounts the trigger is good and I like how the trigger falls down to open the action. I'm curious if it can take the "warm" loads like the Ruger #1 but seems to shoot okay with factory ammo.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by ZaineB » 23 Oct 2021, 4:42 pm

yeah I think its advertised to take roughly the same amount of grunt as the common marlin/winchester lever guns, none the less, for what I would use a 45cal single shot is plenty, if I was marauding a bunch of pigs in scrub I'd just as likely use the Adler and 410 with solids or buckshot.
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by bigrich » 23 Oct 2021, 6:18 pm

mchughcb wrote:Having shot many deer with my single shot, I was quite interested in this thread. I had a look at the CVA Scout in 45/70 and I like it. I've used ruger single shots before but I really prefer the take down type single shots, they are easy to clean like a shotgun and easy to pack in the car. From all accounts the trigger is good and I like how the trigger falls down to open the action. I'm curious if it can take the "warm" loads like the Ruger #1 but seems to shoot okay with factory ammo.

i had a cva scout in 45-70 a regret getting rid of it . great trigger , accurate . i wish it came in a laminate stock, i'd still have it . you won't regret getting one . from what i researched they can handle medium marlin loads no problem. and i a light rifle like that it's plenty :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles